Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Default ForumQuest Just Got Even Better Yet (Also, Why Does No One Tell Me These Things?)

So less than a week after I unveiled my ghetto fashion search I just happened to visit the wiki Version page (which lists all of the wiki's installed extensions), and what should I find but:

That's right, our illustrious wiki overlords have heard my pleas and graced us with the official (not ghetto) multi-category search extension! Unlike my version this one allows you to search across five(!) different categories at once, without a risk of slowing the site down. Also, the official tool lets you specify three "ignore" categories, so if (for instance) you wanted to find a "Fashion: Leather" Shaman hat that isn't from Velious, that's possible now too.

There are two small downsides: 1) you have to type the full category name in (there's no drop-down), and 2) you have to capitalize the category name correctly (eg. "Fashion: Leather" not "fashion: leather").

But those are some pretty small downsides, so let me be the first to say:

Thank you Rogean (and the rest of the staff)!

P.S. To make the new search easier to find (after this post fades) I've added a link to it to the bottom right area of the wiki's front page.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 01-11-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Well that's just neat.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 01-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Sarnak

Question

So trying this out

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I get over 500 results of Velious Plate 2 and very frew for Velious Plate 1. What exactly is this telling me?

Lets say I want to find all the possible combinations of Velious Plate for a Warrior that has a consistent look. Is that possible?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get over 500 results of Velious Plate 2 and very frew for Velious Plate 1. What exactly is this telling me?
There are only 68 items in the Velious Plate 1 fashion category, and 146 in the Velious Plate 2, so you shouldn't be getting 500 results for either. It sounds like something went wrong somehow.

When I search "Warrior Equipment" and "Fashion: Velious Plate 1" I get 16 results, and when I do "Warrior Equipment" and "Fashion: Velious Plate 2" I get 20. I'm not sure why you'd get different results. Maybe reload the page, clear everything out, and retype it, making sure there's no extra spaces or anything weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lets say I want to find all the possible combinations of Velious Plate for a Warrior that has a consistent look. Is that possible?
Not with a single search. The category search is an "AND" search (ie. "show me items that are in the warrior equipment AND Velious plate 1 categories"). However, you can always just do two separate searches and combine the results.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Banned

Project Barbie Dress Up 1999
Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are only 68 items in the Velious Plate 1 fashion category, and 146 in the Velious Plate 2, so you shouldn't be getting 500 results for either. It sounds like something went wrong somehow.

When I search "Warrior Equipment" and "Fashion: Velious Plate 1" I get 16 results, and when I do "Warrior Equipment" and "Fashion: Velious Plate 2" I get 20. I'm not sure why you'd get different results. Maybe reload the page, clear everything out, and retype it, making sure there's no extra spaces or anything weird?

Not with a single search. The category search is an "AND" search (ie. "show me items that are in the warrior equipment AND Velious plate 1 categories"). However, you can always just do two separate searches and combine the results.
Ok I see now, 62 results.

this

confused me.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Ok I see now, 62 results.

this

confused me.
Ah yeah, the wiki's UI was designed many years ago. Modern web devs would hide those links (at least the 100/250 ones), but I think when they were writing the wiki they did it in a way where that part of the page doesn't know how many results there are, so it just has to show (all of) those links all the time.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Banned

good stuff

question - kunark chain only different on iksars?
Old 01-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Kobold

Unless/until some drop-down selection is added, would someone more knowledgeable about Wiki FashionQuest be willing to update that page with even some rudimentary tips on available categories and their syntax?

Such as:
- How to search by class?
- How to search by slot?
- How to search by era?
- etc etc
Old 01-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darguth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unless/until some drop-down selection is added, would someone more knowledgeable about Wiki FashionQuest be willing to update that page with even some rudimentary tips on available categories and their syntax?

Such as:
- How to search by class?
- How to search by slot?
- How to search by era?
- etc etc
Because it's a "special" page I'm not able to edit it (even though I'm an admin). However, what I definitely can (and will) do is create some sort of "About Fashion Quest" page with a few tips and instructions.

Also what I might be able to do is use Javascript to add more instructions to the page 0.1 seconds after it loads. I also might even be able to convert the search boxes to drop-downs, but I'm not sure yet (and don't have the time to play with it right now). When I know I'll post back one way or the other.

For now the short answer to your questions is:

- How to search by class? "Shaman Equipment" (replace with your class)
- How to search by slot? "Head", "Shoulders", etc. (replace with body part for that slot)

Basically if you go to any item page (eg. http://wiki.project1999.com/Fungus_Covered_Scale_Tunic) and look at the bottom you can see the category names and get a good idea of what you can search on.

As for "How to search by era?", I thought we had categories for the eras, but I guess they're being done with a template tag. I might (another research project) be able to make that tag add a category, but I'm not sure if that will work. If not I'll have to write another crawler to go through and add the categories.

Either way sorry for the mistake, but it looks like you can't limit by era (yet).
I have fixed the wiki tags to add categories for the eras to the pages, so you can now search for (for instance) "Kunark Era" or "Epic Quests Era". When I did a test search now only some of the items are showing up though, so I think the wiki may need a few minutes to fully index (maybe try in 20 min or so if you only see items up to a certain letter in your search results).

Last edited by loramin; 01-11-2018 at 02:20 PM..
Closed Thread