Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 02-10-2023, 03:37 PM
Orc

Default Could playing EverQuest make you a worse person?

Like in the few months I’ve been playing this game, I’ve run into more people shit-talking each other behind their backs, hating on and excluding people because they’re not ‘strong enough’ or not a part of their clique, and just general constant anger and small-mindedness over who should be entitled to loot. For a game that is otherwise so chill, socially it can be exhausting at times and I think it’s partly to due with camps and other things being in short supply, but a lot of people are just kinda toxic too? Like is it possible the constant competition and people being exposed to each other in frustrating circumstances has lead to EverQuest itself creating toxic players? Not to discount the many cool and helpful players I’ve encountered, but after seeing that there’s a ton of drama even in the course of a regular small, pick up group in mistmoore, it really does make me wonder…

Discuss do you think playing EverQuest could have made people more toxic? Or is it just sometimes an environment that brings out the worst in people? Or am I imagining all of this? Idk, what are your thoughts, RnF?

Characters: Fappas (Level 50 Halfling Cleric - Green)
Old 02-10-2023, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like Green?

Originally, outside of raiding, P99 had a pretty fantastic community. Green brought a lot of really shitty people from TLP's and just generally wasn't a fun server to play on. People either completely quiet and asocial, or very agro.

Gamers in general have also been getting more toxic. I don't really know why.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

maybe its you
Old 02-10-2023, 03:50 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like Green?

Originally, outside of raiding, P99 had a pretty fantastic community. Green brought a lot of really shitty people from TLP's and just generally wasn't a fun server to play on. People either completely quiet and asocial, or very agro.

Gamers in general have also been getting more toxic. I don't really know why.
Oh yes, this was on Green. Tbh I have played on Blue and yeah I can’t think of too many bad experiences outside of one with a guild leader, but yah was playing on green this morning and made me think lol

Old 02-10-2023, 03:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweagen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Like in the few months I’ve been playing this game, I’ve run into more people shit-talking each other behind their backs, hating on and excluding people because they’re not ‘strong enough’ or not a part of their clique, and just general constant anger and small-mindedness over who should be entitled to loot. For a game that is otherwise so chill, socially it can be exhausting at times and I think it’s partly to due with camps and other things being in short supply, but a lot of people are just kinda toxic too? Like is it possible the constant competition and people being exposed to each other in frustrating circumstances has lead to EverQuest itself creating toxic players? Not to discount the many cool and helpful players I’ve encountered, but after seeing that there’s a ton of drama even in the course of a regular small, pick up group in mistmoore, it really does make me wonder…

Discuss do you think playing EverQuest could have made people more toxic? Or is it just sometimes an environment that brings out the worst in people? Or am I imagining all of this? Idk, what are your thoughts, RnF?
It's not just you, rotten players have been around forever, but it definitely feels worse now. I think it's more of a societal problem leaking into this space. Also I think with Discord, which is known for being a haven for right wing nutsos, being such a big part of the game it's sort of amplifying the negativity.

I disagree with Lune's assessment of Green, I had a great time overall start to finish, there were definitely some terrible people along the way but there were also way more good or decent people. A lot of it is what guild you're in and what camps you're after as well. Finding the right community here is important.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 02-10-2023, 03:51 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
maybe its you
Lol most of the time I find myself having to play peacekeeper because people can’t seem to chill for 5 minutes and just play the dam game, ngl

Old 02-10-2023, 03:57 PM
Banned

MMOs can turn you into a fat tard:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-10-2023, 04:02 PM
Banned

EQ and R99 helped give me an environment to become a better more mature and giving person.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ and R99 helped give me an environment to become a better more mature and giving person.
I'd say that about myself too, but I haven't seen my friends or family in months.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:09 PM
Sarnak

we were all bad people before everquest
but with everquests limited resources for loot, exp and queststuff it turns us into post-apoc savages. from crushbone to tov we must fight to survive. only betas think this is a bad trait tho