Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main point stands: why is there ZERO DOCUMENTATION of anything like GINA existing back in the day? No one mentions it in forum posts. No one is able to produce a screenshot of it. If it existed at all, it was entirely a ghost. This is basically impossible, because anything that had even remotely common use would have been discussed - there is simply no way it could have spread between players otherwise!

We are told that because log parsing existed in classic we should be ok with real-time log readers that create new UI elements overlaid on the game client. How disingenuous must you be to equate these two things?
Log parsers existing in 1999, among other things, defends the enabling of the log file. Allowing the game to be run in a window (which is likely a compatibility thing for staff - P99 will not run in full screen for me on Linux). Both of these things combined allow for programs like GINA to function in the way that is offensive to you.
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-19-2019, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Log parsers existing in 1999, among other things, defends the enabling of the log file. Allowing the game to be run in a window (which is likely a compatibility thing for staff - P99 will not run in full screen for me on Linux). Both of these things combined allow for programs like GINA to function in the way that is offensive to you.
This is why I never asked for it to be removed or sent a PM to a Green Text to complain. It was a good thought exercise and I will be happy being able to laugh at people using something like GINA with no social recourse to defend themselves outside of laughable claims that it could have been done.

No further steps are requested to be taken. Although if you are playing without them and someone beats you to a spawn you will have to wonder if they were running some kind of timer. That some kind of dubious program could have been used justifies it being used and just got that guy the reward. Or lets say its not about loot but about a good player, is he using timers etc to help him play, does he deserve people saying that he is l33t?
Old 10-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Fire Giant

I honestly feel like its more likely that whomever beat whomever else to a spawn set a timer on their phone than with GINA,
Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I honestly feel like its more likely that whomever beat whomever else to a spawn set a timer on their phone than with GINA,
Fine, I will laugh at their need to use their phones. The device at this point makes little difference, it's that they do it.

The more gaming goes on, the less it appeals. If the company that makes the game doesn't sell to you directly something that aids then someone has a program to do it... in a fantasy world role playing game of thee and thou, elfs running around a forest killing orcs.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:02 PM
Fire Giant

Yes, everyone plays the game their way =D
Old 10-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, everyone plays the game their way =D
I disagree. This is a game not a life philosophy. When I purchased my original copy of EQ i didn't give the cashier a funny handshake.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main point stands: why is there ZERO DOCUMENTATION of anything like GINA existing back in the day? No one mentions it in forum posts. No one is able to produce a screenshot of it. If it existed at all, it was entirely a ghost. This is basically impossible, because anything that had even remotely common use would have been discussed - there is simply no way it could have spread between players otherwise!
I know that the wayback machine exists, but I don't think you can search it. It's more of a "show me this site/page as of this date" kind of functionality, right?

Is it even possible to search the web as it existed in 1999?
Old 10-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Orc

http://www.eqwatcher.com/docs/eula.html

EQWatcher was a popular log parser released in 2001. If you don’t believe this page then you can see the web archive of their free servers website going back to 2001 here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000701000000*/eqwatcher

That fits within the blue timeline. There were others before that that don’t exist anymore. If you genuinely believe that before these big releases people weren’t writing python scripts to parse their logs...

http://eq-companion.com

EQ Companion has a change log going back to 2001.

None of this was a big secret. People weren’t hiding it.

EQLog’s website goes back to 2000: https://web.archive.org/web/20000701...org/~pasketti/

This took about 5 minutes for me to look back and find just by searching the names of these programs. Also, all this talk about how parsing couldn’t be possible before .NET is just weird. Lots of broad sweeping statements and assumptions being thrown around.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Banned

wheres the part where it's funneled into a UI visual

EQ Companion is a program designed to monitor EverQuest log file. There are a lot of similar programs available but where EQ Companion differs from the rest is that it is designed to be running as you are playing EverQuest. It will constantly poll the log file and read new lines in and parse them in real time. This real-time monitoring obviously requires that you have 2 networked computers.

you needed two computers to even run a parser that didnt even have a UI element, yeah GINA is totally like that
Old 10-19-2019, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixteenmiles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.eqwatcher.com/docs/eula.html

EQWatcher was a popular log parser released in 2001. If you don’t believe this page then you can see the web archive of their free servers website going back to 2001 here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000701000000*/eqwatcher

That fits within the blue timeline. There were others before that that don’t exist anymore. If you genuinely believe that before these big releases people weren’t writing python scripts to parse their logs...

http://eq-companion.com

EQ Companion has a change log going back to 2001.

None of this was a big secret. People weren’t hiding it.

EQLog’s website goes back to 2000: https://web.archive.org/web/20000701...org/~pasketti/

This took about 5 minutes for me to look back and find just by searching the names of these programs. Also, all this talk about how parsing couldn’t be possible before .NET is just weird. Lots of broad sweeping statements and assumptions being thrown around.
Um, that was me talking about .Net. I didn't claim that it couldn't be done, I posted that in regards to GINAs creation date as I was searching for it. So you will have to reconsider that accusation.

Eqwatcher, does parsing with text to voice alerts.

Quote:
EQWatcher Evolution is an absolutely free real-time EverQuest log parser. EQWatcher interprets small programs written for it that do certain things, most notably audio responses such as Text-to-Speech or .WAV sounds, when user or game text input is read. For example, EQWatcher Evolution can speak out loud things like your character's damage per second, your character's movement speed, tells received, all using information from the text log files. EQWatcher's abilities also allow advanced uses like accessing databases, and simple-but-useful things like controlling Winamp. EQWatcher by design CANNOT be used to "macro" (automate game play), hack, or sniff packets, and is not against the license agreement for EverQuest.
It couldn't display a UI. The one poster in here that I was arguing with had a program with a UI on a extra computer displaying accurately but janky in real time. EQwatcher didn't require a UI overlay. It doesn't do egg timers for buff durations or spawn times. If someone hails you, you can make a voice alert. This could be set up to give triggered alerts, like raid alerts or even group invites.

You have shown a program that many others didn't bother to link, kudos. But it fails to demonstrate how GINA can be acceptable but by all means use something like Eqwatcher if you really need voice triggers.

Edit: It could control Winamp
Last edited by Mblake81; 10-19-2019 at 08:39 PM..
Closed Thread