Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 04-15-2023, 10:38 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also agree account sharing should be banned but yeah I dont see how it can ever happen.

It really is annoying as shit though. Every single raid guild I've been in, most of the really active players in the snooty upper clique share their accounts, so when I see them online I'm only ever like 25% sure it's actually the real person. You send them a tell "Hey you ready to do that thing we talked about?" and they're like "what? this isn't soandso..".

Account sharing with the /list system is the only thing I feel like they could fix relatively easily. If your IP changes, you get booted from the list. Obviously there are still ways around it, but it would certainly reduce the problem.
IP logging is the only way, and if there's too many discrepancies with someone logging in (tracked via a simple program), they get banned. If someone's legitimately traveling while playing, it's not hard to prove. This ain't America, it's Norrath. Guilty until proven innocent (unless you're one of the guys giving Rogean his cut of your RMT, then you can cheat incessantly until a lone, brave, rogue GM named Uthgaard stands against you, outing the entire backdoor bullshit this server has always participated in, and subsequently be turned into a villain for speaking the truth and wanting to preserve the integrity of the game).
Old 04-15-2023, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic era sharing accounts would get you banned. If you told staff you shared your account info and someone stole your gear they would say thanks for telling us and ban you.
Nah. I shared my druid info with a few guild members back then. One of them, never found out who, stripped me and bound me at the cliff golems in OT and deathlooped me down to level 35. I petitioned and talked to a guide who escalated to a senior GM, and my levels and gear were restored like 2 days later. I was just told to be careful and not share info. Definitely wasn't banned.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:27 PM
Sarnak

They didn’t allow account sharing because they wanted those subscription $$$
Old 04-15-2023, 03:52 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They didn’t allow account sharing because they wanted those subscription $$$
And because it affected the way the game was intended to be played.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What lesson did they learn?

Account selling was no big deal. Server ran smooth and fine, no issues really resulted from it.

The RMT side of things is a different story. But buying and selling accounts for plat on p99 was perfectly fine and common here for a good while.
Yeah, sold my first account for 50k plat back in like 2011 when it was allowed. Financed my next main that way.

To be honest, they can't realistically police account-sharing. There's no such thing in our day and age as a consistent method of online identification unless they want to get into 2FA with a dongle or some shit. What else are they gonna do, ban anyone who logs on from an IP that isn't their "usual one"? The interwebs don't work that way anymore. Most people probably play from at least two different locations, judging by the amount of clerics in my groups who are at work. Seemingly as professional jugglers.
Last edited by greatdane; 04-15-2023 at 10:22 PM..
Old 04-16-2023, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, sold my first account for 50k plat back in like 2011 when it was allowed. Financed my next main that way.

To be honest, they can't realistically police account-sharing. There's no such thing in our day and age as a consistent method of online identification unless they want to get into 2FA with a dongle or some shit. What else are they gonna do, ban anyone who logs on from an IP that isn't their "usual one"? The interwebs don't work that way anymore. Most people probably play from at least two different locations, judging by the amount of clerics in my groups who are at work. Seemingly as professional jugglers.
They *could* put a limit, of say 5 IPs per account per month. When you try to login as IP #6, you can't.

It would hurt people using VPNs, but normal players (even the ones that play at work, and on two home computers, and a steam deck at a coffee shop) would be unaffected.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:12 PM
Sarnak

There are ways to set this up. The client has access to all the information it needs. Pairing accounts to ips and client identifiers. (This computer is running this client on this IP)
Registration by account owners. Do anything within your scope and it works. Your id's, IP's, computer identifier. The client already has the access. The trick here is because permissions are one way, you can't register to another pairing. So if you share with your friend, guess what your friend can't use that PC client or account for their own shit. And only one of you can log on at a time. It's entirely possible to do, but would require dev time.
Last edited by Vsai; 04-16-2023 at 01:19 PM..
Old 04-16-2023, 01:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's incredibly easy to track + police with minimal actual work required on their end. The only people speaking against it or saying it's 'too hard' are those abusing it in the first place, so kindly shut the fuck up and let those that actually play fair discuss the rules situation.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:24 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are ways to set this up. The client has access to all the information it needs. Pairing accounts to ips and client identifiers. (This computer is running this client on this IP)
Registration by account owners. Do anything within your scope and it works. Your id's, IP's, computer identifier. The client already has the access. The trick here is because permissions are one way, you can't register to another pairing. So if you share with your friend, guess what your friend can't use that PC client or account for their own shit. And only one of you can log on at a time. It's entirely possible to do, but would require dev time.
Minimal time. Just needs a few lines of code added. Can apply for an exemption to play from work just like with multiple IPs from one location, and if something seems fishy it'll get reported, looked into, and handled accordingly. Simple solutions to major problems. Idk why so many people wanna make it more difficult than it needs to be.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:50 PM
Planar Protector

I was one of the few who made a lot of plat buying and selling accounts back in the day. It was no different than any other plat making service. I would buy accounts, sit on them, and resell them, and make a good bit of plat. I never RMTd. In fact most people doing it probably didn't.

What got it banned was a few bad apples who would screw the new owner over. On one transaction I did, the guy removed the BCG (valued at 275k at the time) from the account before I could log in. He eventually got banned. But it was people who did this that screwed everyone else over. The devs got tired of dealing with it and just banned it.