Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOLLAYD [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just wanna know if it alters anything on your computer or changes anything to install anything in the background or if it just runs and pings simply because of how it was coded or what. It's reason or purpose doesn't doesn't bother me. If I seriously thought something wasn't on the level I'd have not even bothered to ask. I'd kept it moving. Since I am new I can't judge based on the last 5 years since I wasn't here. That's why I am asking you guys.
dsetup.dll doesn't modify any of your files, doesn't let us read your files, doesn't destroy your registry. It doesn't give us any kind of hands on access to your computer. It's there to detect cheats like Macroquest and ShowEQ so that we can have a truly hack free server. As a poster explained above, it is likely that someone submitted it to a (crappy, lazy) virus database and they filed it in the "well it does something but we can't be arsed to figure out what" section of their DB. So now it's going to flag on certain virus scanners.

I'm told a number of high end scanners like Kaspersky's (read: Mcaffee, Norton, are horrible at virus protection. Biggest scam in the industry IMO. AVG is good but since a lot of their business is free I'm betting they don't have the staff to check for false-positives like this and remove them).

For the longest time this file didn't get picked up on any scanner (~4ish years) and no one has ever reported it doing anything malicious to their computer. This leads me to believe the "someone submitted it" theory, possibly to try to thwart Project 1999 (Disclaimer: I'm pulling this out of my ass, it just makes sense). The DLL literally has not been touched in forever, so it's not like we added something in that would make it start getting flagged as malicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Much easier to get a better antivirus program. The better ones do not mistake it for a virus.
^ Kaspersky's if you're a savvy computer user, Webroot if you're not. If you really don't want to pay, AVG - but you'll have to add an exception for this file (as you stated in your OP). Spybot/adaware/malwarebytes as well, if you're not careful about the websites you visit (your computer is likely bogged with malware/adware/spyware, even if you dont know it; people in the IT field deal with this on a daily basis), you'll need these programs.

As a side note, why do you have AVG and McAffee Live safe? Running both of these at once can give your computer nightmares (seriously). Different brands of virus-related software do not play well with each other at all, and at some point down the road you will have problems. If you decide to remove McAffee, be sure to do some googling before hand, as it's notoriously difficult to remove completely and properly (the guy who founded the company turned out to be a pretty bad dude, so I'm not surprised their program is like this).
Last edited by Derubael; 09-06-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Old 09-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Orc

Well shiizzzzttt that's all you had to say. lol It's not tin it's aluminum get it right and leave my koolaid out this tyvm. lmao [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Orc

Thanks for the info. Derubael I really appreciate it. The reason I have two is I let mcafee laspe and so I installed avg with the intent on removing it, but realized mcafee was all integrated in the system and so I didn't want to deal with the headache at the time decided to pop 20 bucks on it to reactivate so I could atleast have access to the settings as I was locked out of everything. I hadn't actually used mcafee in years being honest until I got this laptop. I am not a fan of ingame stores and when I seen a video of P1999 on youtube I rushed over to set everything up and well sorta was curious about the file thing which you clarified. I appreciate that. Ya that's sorta how I got stuck with two. I just not removed the other one yet since it hasn't bothered with much as of yet.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:03 AM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOLLAYD [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just not removed the other one yet since it hasn't bothered with much as of yet.
Would suggest removing it soon. I can tell you horror stories of nearly-bricked systems caused solely by two conflicting mass-market virus software's being present on the hard-drive, in particular, mcaffee. Norton seems to have this problem as well, but has provided a number of tools free of charge to assist in the complete removal of their products.

Do it before it's too late! AVG is good enough protection if you're a safe web browser (if you're reckless, get Kaspersky or webroot). McAffee literally protects against nothing except extremely old definitions or blatantly obvious ones, and I cannot begin to explain how many malicious files I've seen slip through it's net.

Oh, and most importantly, welcome to the server!
Old 09-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Orc

Thanks mate. I did give it a go last night and gotta say I was impressed. Ya'll did a really good job. Had friend cracking up on TS because he was on swtor while I played EQ here and I was all happy an crap cause I died and spent 30 mins hunting down my corpse cause I was like I can't remember the last time a game was that hard where you actually need to hunt for your stuffs. They don't make them like this more. lol I totally forgot what it felt like and what a pain being a noob in EQ was. lol It was like being in a time machine though and going into the past to play your favorite game. Was awsome all the way around. I could never understand how people could play two toons at the same time when I gotta focus on not dying on the one. lol

On the ncafee thing I was gonna probably do that sometime this week when I was off work. Only thing I am trying to work out with it is it has a thing called net guard and when I got offline last night and opened firefox to browse some games sites it popped up a block on me this morning and another one later today. Just showed these ip's. I don't know if anyone else has ever had this issue ever before with mcafee or not,

8.15.299.46 9/7/2014 18.37:59 PM blocked

8.21.24.45 9/7/2014 10:10:01 AM blocked

I don't think I was on the same sites so wondering if it blocked ad's on the site or what. Hadn't thought much on it until the second one. AVG didn't ping it and not any real info. on the web about them. Just said it blocked firefox from being connected to them. Probably nothing I mean I only surf mainly mmo and game sites if I am not doing research online. Most the time I just turn on whatever game I want to play at the time and kill afew hours and crash before work the next day.

Like I was saying though I did give it a go. I did notice certain character models I thought where with the game from start where not there so I am guessing I may have remembered some stuff wrong, but over all it was pretty spot on the money. And not taking anything from other emu teams, but it takes alot for me to be reeled into an emu and so far EQ and SWG have been the only ones I have ever seriously looked at and when I seen what you guys did with this server I seriously got to say I am highly impressed hands down. Great job all the way around. Even telling my mates when they are done playing in candyassland to give this a check out. I am definitely glad I did. I appreciate all the help too. Thanks again. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]