Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Orc

Default Questions about one of your game files.

Just curious what does the dsetup.dll do exactly? I realize some files pop up as false positives and all, but I added it as an exception on avg and it had to be done under the identity setting which was odd to me and sadly I have mcafee live safe which has no option for exception I am finding out. So I am curious what this files does and why is it unable to be coded to not ping your virus scanner? Also why is it even needed at all? I mean I ask cause I can play other servers no problems, but been wanting to check this one out and just trying to understand why it's set up the way it is and what this particular file is even for? Not implying anything, but am wondering why it's set up to be such a pain in the behind.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ghlight=dsetup
Old 09-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Orc

Wow. lol Thanks for the link mate. That was definitely a interesting read. Think I'll just wait for the non-virus scanner alerting version to be released then. Nice. lol
Old 09-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOLLAYD [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow. lol Thanks for the link mate. That was definitely a interesting read. Think I'll just wait for the non-virus scanner alerting version to be released then. Nice. lol
lol good luck waiting for it. Not sure why that thread would make you wait. Derubael explains what it is in the first page and why its there.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Orc

I read that and didn't have a problem with that part. I think some where in that post someone said something to the effect of it either extracting files or editing registry or some crap. I'd have to relook again, but my question is that true or just all bs? I don't care it's a non-cheat whatchamacholit that doesn't bother me at all. I couldn't double box if my life depended on it anyway. I never considered it cheating, but not my thing in either case. Other stuff people do well all I can really say is it sorta defeats the purpose of playing an mmo if ya ask me. I am sorta in the same boat as that one fella in the thread where as my mcafee software came with this system and is integrated into it. Maybe I am coder slow at understanding how things work, but I don't get why the new version throws up red flags and previous ones do not. I don't think these fella mean no harm. Not even worried about that, but before I go disabling my virus protection I'd sorta like to know more about what exactly it is doing to my system before I just up and do. Right now I am just not comfortable with that. He says in general what it does. If I understood right they won't say exactly what it does. Now I don't know about you mate, but that just doesn't sit right with me. I am pretty patient I will wait and see if the next patch dings. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOLLAYD [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I read that and didn't have a problem with that part. I think some where in that post someone said something to the effect of it either extracting files or editing registry or some crap. I'd have to relook again, but my question is that true or just all bs? I don't care it's a non-cheat whatchamacholit that doesn't bother me at all. I couldn't double box if my life depended on it anyway. I never considered it cheating, but not my thing in either case. Other stuff people do well all I can really say is it sorta defeats the purpose of playing an mmo if ya ask me. I am sorta in the same boat as that one fella in the thread where as my mcafee software came with this system and is integrated into it. Maybe I am coder slow at understanding how things work, but I don't get why the new version throws up red flags and previous ones do not. I don't think these fella mean no harm. Not even worried about that, but before I go disabling my virus protection I'd sorta like to know more about what exactly it is doing to my system before I just up and do. Right now I am just not comfortable with that. He says in general what it does. If I understood right they won't say exactly what it does. Now I don't know about you mate, but that just doesn't sit right with me. I am pretty patient I will wait and see if the next patch dings. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The file is going to continue to do the same things it always has so i guess that means its the end of your EQ days. Good luck
Old 09-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Fire Giant

I think people need to understand the reason THIS file is triggering the security warning.

If you have websites blocked at work, it is likely a list of websites your employer purchased to meet their internet viewing policies. (It's likely a service the company purchased and this list is a part of it) The people making the list, add websites to it all the time, as they created, or as they are discovered as fitting the criteria of the category they are blocking.

This is the same type of thing. One of the many players here likely submitted the file to McAfee for evaluation. This may have been malicious, it may have not. McAfee looked at the file and determined "We don't know what this is. It could be dangerous". Not because they KNOW it's dangerous, but because they don't know what it is and therefore can't guarantee it's safety. They added it to it's list of things to flag as "Generic11". You see they didn't give it it's own name. They added it to a list of generic stuff, all of which fits this same category of "we don't know, but just in case here is a warning" warnings. The file is now on a "list" and they buy each others lists.

Misflagging happens ALL THE TIME. Google Generic11 to read. Here is one example:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/391984?tstart=0

http://securityandthe.net/2008/11/10...-windows-file/
Quote:
AVG virus scanner removes critical Windows file
I'm sure they fixed their scan to not flag a windows file. Project 1999 is not going to be that lucky.

You could play "safe" and not join the fun or you can trust the guy providing free Classic Everquest gaming to thousands of people for the last five years without incident.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Much easier to get a better antivirus program. The better ones do not mistake it for a virus.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Orc

I just wanna know if it alters anything on your computer or changes anything to install anything in the background or if it just runs and pings simply because of how it was coded or what. It's reason or purpose doesn't doesn't bother me. If I seriously thought something wasn't on the level I'd have not even bothered to ask. I'd kept it moving. Since I am new I can't judge based on the last 5 years since I wasn't here. That's why I am asking you guys.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

It doesnt change or alter anything all it does it read your processes to make sure your not running illegal hacks. P99 is not trying to take over your computer. Take the tinfoil hat off or have you been drinking too much koolaid? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]