Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 05:14 AM
Sarnak

Why are 90s comics so worthless?

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 11-21-2019, 05:31 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuklak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know.

My local comic store owner said they'd be collectors' items!
Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 AM
Planar Protector

legacy items should drop 6 at a time
Old 11-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikail [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's 100% true and I've given this a bit of thought. It's probably good that the drop rates are low given the number of players on the server and that everybody knows what these items are and when they'll be taken out of the game. If the drop rate was as high as it wasn't original EQ, things like Mana Stones would hold all the value of 1990's comics in the future. Which is to say zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuklak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob54311 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know.

My local comic store owner said they'd be collectors' items!
Quote:
The nineties are a decade that receives a lot of flack among comic book collectors. A lot of complaints justified. The nineties were a period of industry upheaval. Between 1990 and 1993 no less then 24 new comic book publishers were flooding the market with hundreds of titles and by 1996 all but a handful shuttered their doors. Quality control went out the window in favor of quantity in an attempt to capitalize on a classic bubble market that emerged. Marvel nearly went bankrupt. Both Marvel and DC were killing off legacy characters and replacing them with new and more “EXTREME” versions. Guy Gardner: Warrior anyone? It was an era when comic book companies realized that art moved more books then narrative and the quality of many stories suffered accordingly.

The cumulative impact of all of these factors have created a lingering sense that this was a decade when comic book publishers were blinded by financial greed and then self-inflicted distress by a saturated market place. The siren call of Hollywood was beckoning as well. The Batman movie franchise, which blew the doors off what a cape shit movie could be, was just beginning in 1992. Jeff Loeb – a television writer – was brought into DC Comics and given one of the two keys to the kingdom when tasked to write Batman, much to the chagrin of life long employees who had been putting in their time and working up the comic companies archaic creative ladders. Marvel was selling its movie production rights to properties such as Spiderman, the X-Men, and Fantastic Four among others just to keep the lights on.

In reality the comic book industry was responding to changing market conditions brought on by a flurry of unprecedented speculation. The comic collecting craze of the early nineties was a text book case of bubble economics. It came crashing into an industry that was unprepared for it but recognized that it was time to make hay while the sun was shining. Millions of people suddenly started entering comic books shops in the early 1990’s and just as quickly stopped. The years between 1992 and 1996 saw sales reach unimaginable sums, print runs from all companies combined reached into the millions to satisfy consumer demand, and the publishing houses tried to pump every dollar they could out of it with foil and die cut collector’s issues.
TL/DR: Some comics became valuable, like the early ones due to circumstances such as world war 2. Some guys tried to create their own "collectable" market by pumping money into it forming a bubble. It resulted in a failure.

Quote:
“In 1974 you could buy an average copy of Action Comics #1—the first appearance of Superman—for about $400. By 1984, that comic cost about $5,000. This was real money, and by the end of the decade, comics sales at auction houses such as Christie’s or Sotheby’s were so impressive that the New York Times would take note when, for instance, Detective Comics #27—the first appearance of Batman—sold for a record-breaking $55,000 in December 1991. The Times was there again a few months later, when a copy of Action Comics #1 shattered that record, selling for $82,500.”
People want manastones on Green/Teal because they were so valuable on the decade old Blue. During a time when P99 was far less populated and a small number of stones were kept around. New players seeing this, wishing they were there and had got a few to do big platinum trades, look to this as a chance to get it. The hope that the servers will merge into the wasteland that is blue instead of being deleted at the end.
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-21-2019 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 11-21-2019, 10:22 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
legacy items should drop 6 at a time
Every time!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A great fix would be to turn PVP on in every zone with these camps. Let everyone sort it out as true Elves, Trolls, and Hobbits would.
Someone always suggests this.

And it's always dumb.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A great fix would be to turn PVP on in every zone with these camps. Let everyone sort it out as true Elves, Trolls, and Hobbits would.

It will make for a more immersive and exciting experience and will be much healthier for the player's health than a marathon 12-hour session with no AFK breaks. smh
We have a pvp server. Feel free to join the tens of players who agree with you.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Kobold

Again this has nothing to do with mana stone, I never camped mana stone and don't know the details but I did camp the jboots in classic and know they dropped pretty often...

Also I dunno why you're discussing 90's comics this makes no sense, this is a game that is supposed to be fun, not some speculative market where things have actual value.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillabunny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again this has nothing to do with mana stone, I never camped mana stone and don't know the details but I did camp the jboots in classic and know they dropped pretty often...

Also I dunno why you're discussing 90's comics this makes no sense, this is a game that is supposed to be fun, not some speculative market where things have actual value.
Fair enough, it's your thread.
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-21-2019 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: blah blah blah
Old 11-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillabunny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I actually really loved MBlake's post: he seemed to go off on a tangent ... and according to this forum's culture it'd be perfectly ok if that was it; this place loves tangents.

But he did something unusual and clever and actually tied the tangent back to the main thread (and I completely disagree with you: obviously comics and mana orbs aren't the same, but they are both speculatively traded items and the comparison was relevant).

But Zila, back to the original topic OF COURSE it's not classic. In classic times like X% of the server knew about JBoots. Here X * 500% (I'm good at math) know about it.

But mechanically, /list is pretty damn close to how GMs would have handled it back then IF that many people did know and fight over JBoots ... well, modulo the "never sleeping GM" it represents (which is why I started that other thread about how /list shouldn't let people queue up past a certain point, and should require rolls after that ... because according to the GM guidelines, that's essentially how the Verant staff would have handled it ... and Verant GMs slept [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 11-21-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Closed Thread