Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 01:48 PM
Sarnak

Unnerf pet daggers
Old 11-26-2019, 01:54 PM
Kobold

What it comes down to is Green/Teal are classic-ish servers with a dash of admin preferences (things like linkable items, FS dagger nerf, whirl til you hurl nerf, etc).

For whatever reason, charm is used in a non-classic fashion. The reasons have been discussed at length, but are essentially supported by 1) memories and 2) guessing.

It is unlikely that the admins change charm, but it would make sense if they did. Current charm mechanics are just a guess and they may want to scale things back to more of classic take of Everquest. How could/should they do that? That's up to them.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

I dont group cuz I dont need em

Froglok illis knight, elementalbone skeleton and icepaw champion are the only friends I need
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 11-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The context given about necro nerfs because "cheesy" but charm isn't because such high skill is laughable. Using proper rotation, information,and not acting like a primate when you get an untimely break isn't some super challenging feat most of the player base can't perform.

It's the same issue as NEC except charm has remained unaddressed. Charm replaces players where it's being used by the charm alone being more valuable than other players. As for specific camps, how about almost any one a half decent ENC chooses? Charm does a great job of eroding socialization and team work by replacing players with charmed pets like a mercenary system. Not classic, sorry but not sorry.
I'm not saying it necessarily requires like an expert player to do, but to say that a Charm killing strategy is equal to just giving your pet, which can't break, two FS daggers and clicking your pet attack macro is just silly.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What it comes down to is Green/Teal are classic-ish servers with a dash of admin preferences (things like linkable items, FS dagger nerf, whirl til you hurl nerf, etc).

For whatever reason, charm is used in a non-classic fashion. The reasons have been discussed at length, but are essentially supported by 1) memories and 2) guessing.

It is unlikely that the admins change charm, but it would make sense if they did. Current charm mechanics are just a guess and they may want to scale things back to more of classic take of Everquest. How could/should they do that? That's up to them.
Again, it's not "unclassic" just because over time people figured out how much benefit you can get by Charm killing. It's somewhat ridiculous to say that everything needs to emulate exactly how players played at launch in EQ when nobody knew what they were doing. If that's what you want, then we need to do other things, such as delete the Wiki so no one can reference any of the vast troves of information we now have available. You need to put caps on how many of each class there can be on the server and force people to play classes like Warriors, Wizards, and Rogues that are unpopular today but more people played back then because they didn't realize the downsides to those classes. You need to force every group (or the majority of groups) to have a Tank class in the group (just as an arbitrary requirement) because people back then didn't fully realize how effectively pets could tank or that Shamans in full banded could be effective tanks; and they didn't really know about the EXP penalties either, so you need to force groups to take hybrids because they wouldn't have refused them back in the day like they do now because of the EXP penalty. When Kunark comes out, you need to limit the number of Iksars able to be rolled because it's "not classic atmosphere" that everyone has realized on day 1 of Kunark how OP the AC and regen of Iksars are. Do stuff like that and then maybe you'll have an argument. Otherwise, stop singling out one specific class because "muhhh my pixels!!1!!11!"

Also, people were definitely Charm soloing relatively extensively by the Kunark era, so it's not "unclassic" that this is happening in general on a classic era server when we know about the strategy at launch as opposed to several months into the game.

As an aside, as I've mentioned in other comments here, if you nerf Enchanters just because people are soloing on them, those people will then switch to another good soloing class. They'll roll necros, because they want to be effective soloers. Then people like you will be complaining how many Necros there are and that they need to be nerfed. Then those people will switch to a class like Shaman if Necros are nerfed, and so on.

You came to a classic server and are now complaining about people using classic abilities to their advantage while playing a class and want some arbitrary nerf. It's insane lol.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Sarnak

The people crying about Enchanters being "nonclassic" are just absolutely ignorant and obviously did not play enchanter back in the day because it really isn't that much weaker or stronger than it used to be. I'm talking about before AAs and all that other junk which made it even stronger. People just use it more now. You want to nerf it just because people use it more now than they did back in the day? That's seems pretty stupid imo.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, it's not "unclassic" just because over time people figured out how much benefit you can get by Charm killing.
The rest of your post was based off this assertion and you embarrassed yourself by being rude/adolescent. So, I'll just address this first sentence.

If you are right and folks back on release were simply too stupid or 56k modems would light on fire and prevented the charm mechanics we see today, then fair enough. Technology + knowledge = current charm practices. That's that, don't change it. Well, except p99 admins do change classic mechanics all the time for the betterment of the game, but that is beside the point. I actually agree if this was the way classic Everquest worked mechanic wise, leave it alone.

But I don't see any evidence of that. The best evidence I see isthe AoW charming and a few posts that simply discuss the topic. Again -- why act so sure the mechanics are right? We're still figuring how much spells cost for pete's sake. And you are certain the level/mr/chr checks mirror classic?
Old 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But I don't see any evidence of that.
What kind of evidence do you expect? You want to build a time-travelling machine to go back in time and see it for yourself? I only played enchanter in classic. Charming back then was about as strong as it is now in p99. Again, I'm talking even before the introduction of things like AA that made charming even better. It just wasn't the meta back then, people wanted to play safer. Times have changed and the meta changed. Now in p99 it's just more popular to use charm. If you think it should be nerfed because people use it more now - fine, whatever. But if you want it to be changed just because you think it's better than it was back in the day, you're being ignorant.
Last edited by TripSin; 11-26-2019 at 04:47 PM..
Old 11-26-2019, 04:57 PM
Kobold

To my knowledge, p99 (and other EQ emulators) use educated guesses for all mechanics. What's wrong with discussing whether or not this one mechanic is accurate?

I get that EQ knowledge has increased as have faster, more stable internet connections. And many folks want the conversation to end there (and they are mad!). But what I'm interested in knowing is where the p99 mechanics came from -- how did they arrive at the resist checks and what not they currently use?
Old 11-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
To my knowledge, p99 (and other EQ emulators) use educated guesses for all mechanics. What's wrong with discussing whether or not this one mechanic is accurate?

I get that EQ knowledge has increased as have faster, more stable internet connections. And many folks want the conversation to end there (and they are mad!). But what I'm interested in knowing is where the p99 mechanics came from -- how did they arrive at the resist checks and what not they currently use?
Have they ever even hinted at that "under the hood" stuff?

Can't blame them if they haven't. If they started explaining the mechanics of the game it would just throw fuel onto the fire of threads like these while opening themselves up to more criticism.
Closed Thread