Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:13 AM
Aviak

Default 20's Warrior, better DPS Choice?

Sorry if I'm not in the right place!

Just learned about p99 (played Kunark-PoP) and am absolutely delighted at the fact that I can legitimately relive the awesomeness that was EQ. The community is absolutely stellar and generous and caring, and it just feels the way it used to, I love it.

So, thanks to the largess of a few strangers I've found my Iksar Warrior in possession of a 8/22 and 7/20 1-Handers, as well as a 30/40 2hb. It's very exciting that people would be so nice, but I can't seem to remember which I'm better off going with? I'm assuming the 2-hander, but I can't quite recall when Dual Wield really seems to kick in and balance things out.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

-Sethius Marlowe
Old 06-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

The 30/40 2hander will be your best damage & agro option for quite some time, probably until you replace it with the Staff of Battle (31/37 2hb). Use the other weapons to train the relevant skills from time to time, so that when you do get stronger 1handers and have the levels to get your damage bonus up you'll be ready to take advantage of them.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Do the 1handers have any procs?
Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Planar Protector

He'll have a Vilik's Dark Defender (7/20 10ac) and Kunzar Ku'juch (8/22 Engulfing darkness, procs lvl 40ish is a necro snare).

edit: I imagine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jimjam; 06-02-2015 at 03:28 PM..
Old 06-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethius Marlowe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry if I'm not in the right place!

Just learned about p99 (played Kunark-PoP) and am absolutely delighted at the fact that I can legitimately relive the awesomeness that was EQ. The community is absolutely stellar and generous and caring, and it just feels the way it used to, I love it.

So, thanks to the largess of a few strangers I've found my Iksar Warrior in possession of a 8/22 and 7/20 1-Handers, as well as a 30/40 2hb. It's very exciting that people would be so nice, but I can't seem to remember which I'm better off going with? I'm assuming the 2-hander, but I can't quite recall when Dual Wield really seems to kick in and balance things out.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

-Sethius Marlowe
Use that 2 hander [better dmg], until u get a proc'ing 1H weapon. Warriors are behind with taunting agro in lower lvls so mash begging, taunt, kick, everything u got when u can
Old 06-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Aviak

thanks, guys!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Aviak

So, a lot of different information going around. Does Beg actually do anything for agro?
Old 06-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Use that 2 hander [better dmg], until u get a proc'ing 1H weapon. Warriors are behind with taunting agro in lower lvls so mash begging, taunt, kick, everything u got when u can
Don't do this. This makes your job more difficult.

Use taunt as needed (when the mob loses interest in you), follow it with a kick.

AFAIK begging does nothing for threat generation, but I've never tried/tested TBH.

and in terms of raw DPS - it's tough to beat a staff of battle from 20-45ish or so (for the price).
Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethius Marlowe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, a lot of different information going around. Does Beg actually do anything for agro?
Sure, they agro in a different way instead of boring, run up and tag or arrow to the shoulder, but hey tomato/tomatoe
Old 06-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't do this. This makes your job more difficult.

Use taunt as needed (when the mob loses interest in you), follow it with a kick.

AFAIK begging does nothing for threat generation, but I've never tried/tested TBH.

and in terms of raw DPS - it's tough to beat a staff of battle from 20-45ish or so (for the price).
The bold cannot be over stated. There are two times when you should be mashing taunt:

1. You're soloing and you need to skill it up.
2. You lost aggro and are trying to regain it.

In case #2 the mash should end once you regain aggro. While the mob is beating on you, you never should be using your Taunt button.

Anyone who tells you it gets you 1 point of aggro or whatever they'll say, ignore them, they are being dumb. Whatever hypothetical benefit that has does not outweigh the cost of having taunt down and being unable to use it for several rounds while the mob beats on your cleric or enchanter, and you can do nothing but hope you proc to pull aggro back.
Closed Thread