Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Banned

Default Playing Teal using LTE through phone to play on laptop?

Is this possible? I’m at a remote work site where my company has blocked all gaming IPs (even P1999 forums) on the company wifi, but I have 4 bars of LTE. I keep getting “this site can’t be reached. Server’s IO address could not be found” error when trying to access the forums or pretty much any website other than yahoo. (I’m typing on my phone right now.

I don’t understand why I can access the site on my phone, but not my laptop which is using my phone as a hot spot.

Has anyone used a phone as a hotspot to play?

I can’t load a VPN onto my laptop to play because it’s a company laptop and I don’t have an admin PW. I had to get admin to type in the PW to load EQ, but that was back in town so I can’t get a VPN now unless it’s on my phone.

I suppose I could get a VPN on my phone and then try and connect to the company Wifi?

Any ideas?

Currently, I can’t connect to the server login through my phone’s hotspot. Says to check my connection. Connection to the server could not be reached error.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:52 PM
Banned

When I connect my laptop to the company wifi, I can get to the server select screen, but when I try to get to character select screen, I get an unknown error. But it’s one step past where I can get to while using my phone as a hotspot.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:00 PM
Orc

Most company laptos run through a corporate VPN, wehter your using LTE or not. At least I know mine does. If this is the case I believe that is your problem. It won't matter if if you use your personal phone or not if you have to rout through your corporate VPN. If I'm understanding you correctly.

I can run through my employers network using my personal laptop with no problem, just not any company provided machine. That being said, my employer may be different
Old 12-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Banned

I’m using my phone connecting to an AT&T tower using the LTE. That’s what I was describing in the first two paragraphs.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Orc

But was it the company laptop?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:40 PM
Sarnak

I have no problem connecting via a mobile hotspot on AT&T. Do it regularly.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Banned

Yeah, it’s a company laptop. But I can manually connect to company WiFi or my phone. I usually use the laptop remotely.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Large Rat

I connect to the game on my personal laptop using my phone as a wifi hotspot all the time and it works great unless I have really poor signal. If I try to connect to the game on my works wifi, I can get to the server select, but when I try to load the server and get to the character screen, I get an error (I don't remember exactly what). What I am saying, I guess, is that I suspect the problem is related to the laptop rather than the phone. Whether there is a VPN as someone said, or if there is some sort of content filter loaded locally, that would be my guess.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Planar Protector

Pick up a cheap netbook and run it through that. You'd be surprised what they can do. The only minor freezing I had with mine a few years back was when a monk pulled "upstairs" in Plane of Hate.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Kobold

ATT shouldn't be blocking you from playing a game on their network. So, maybe it's that laptop that has some software on it that stops games from being played. I mean does it have everything stripped from it game wise? If it's running something like that you would have to have the admin pass to turn it off. If it's a older version of windows they normally have programs to get past any windows password.

Also for 30 bucks you get unlim talk and text and like 500mb high speed and unlimitied data after that... the unlimited is super slow, but i was able to play eq, surf forums, and imageboards on that connection. verizon though the others i dont think are unlimited .
Last edited by choppedandglued; 12-09-2019 at 11:20 PM..
Closed Thread