Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 12:34 PM
Aviak

Default Shaman advice - Malise?

Just got malise in the hopes that the endless root breaks would slow down a touch while using it. I'm still noticing a "similar" amount of root breaks and resists generally while mobs are malised. Is the 19 version just not really worth using? Any advice from some more experienced shamans would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

I must confess shaman is one of the classes I have not played much. But I do know some shaman DoTs have a direct damage component at the start, which can break root regardless of resists. I’ll bet that’s part of the difficulty.

Perhaps you could kite with SoW until 1-2 DoTs are applied, then Root and sit/canni.
Last edited by Videri; 11-25-2019 at 01:20 PM..
Old 11-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Fire Giant

the lvl 19 one only reduces resist by 15. compared to the lvl 49 which reduces by 60. I just dont think the lvl 19 one lowers the resist enough for it to matter most of the time. Maybe just use it on yellow/red cons or really resistant mobs.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:23 PM
Sarnak

DoTs that have the direct damage component can definitely break your roots / cause root-rotting woes. This holds true regardless if you Malaise or not!

That said, Malaise definitely makes a difference in terms of whether or not a spell gets resisted to begin with. Here's a thread from Tecmos: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=340546
Old 11-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Aviak

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips/advice so far.

Got this from the tecmos post:

"they've been done on a mob 5 levels below me that is not resist debuffed (since I pull with malaise, and malaise doesn't lower disease resist)"

I was really evaling resists based on my disease dots so that makes a lot of sense.

The new disease DOT does 30 damage on application so I wonder if that has anything to do with it as well. Is there a general knowledge about whether a higher damage nuke will be more likely to break root vs a lower damage one?
Old 11-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Large Bat

Have not been able to find a good use for the lvl19 malaise yet. Enchanters will ask you to hit their pet with it but from doing it for a couple hours and then stopping and observing a couple more hours it had no noticeable impact of the charm. (Also has a short duration)

What worked well for me was landing all dots with the short duration poison line last before rooting to avoid breaking it with the DD.

If I was leveling another SHM I would skip the low level malaise for sure, it isn't worth the mana or a spot on your spell bar for anything that I'm aware of.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:00 PM
Sarnak

It helps me, also helps reduce nuke resists or the shit where nuke lands and does like 5 pts of damage.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Banned

Any DoT with a direct damage component has an additional chance to break Root. As to whether that chance is the same for Ice Comet as it is for Poison Bolt, I don't know and would be curious to know myself. I would imagine an extra roll is done to see if Root will break but how would you code that so it has a higher chance depending on spell damage. Also wouldn't Wizards just be recasting Root after every nuke? I've never played one so I don't know there, either. On Druid, I'd say the chance of a Root break on nuke is maybe 1/3. How often does Poison Bolt break Root?

As an aside, it's accepted broscience that Enstill behaves worse than Root and is to be avoided.
Last edited by Donkey Hotay; 11-25-2019 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Enstill sucks but not enough to hold.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Planar Protector

19 malaise seems like a good spell to throw around at higher levels imo. I feel like it makes a noticable difference but that the mana cost is too high to be worthwhile when your damage spells, slows, and roots are the same cost as malaise itself. When you're casting expensive dots and nukes and slows where a single resist is more expensive than several malaise casts, it seems nice to quickly throw out.

The bigger debuffs seem like they'll only be useful for stuff like a long fight with an ice giant or alizewsaur, putting on a chanter pet, etc., when you finally have enough Mana and Mana/hp regen that you can afford to spend hundreds of Mana on a cast or two in hopes of resists evening out for the rest of a long fight.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Sarnak

Big problem with the 19 Mala is that it has to land in the first place before it helps, so its tricky on a yellow or whatever. Your mana pool is teeny tiny so its a significant use of your resources to add a moderate increase in a few spells (not your dots) sticking, basically. But root is cheap (if unreliable) and you are probably not fighting yellows and reds unless you're in a group, and in a group they'll die too fast for it to be worthwhile and dont need to be rooted anyways.

Bad investment at the level imo. Has some redeeming factor later if you need something cheap to give a little edge, but like most shammy stuff its just not really worth it before 34ish.
Closed Thread