Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

stunningly loggin into the test server like

hes simply faster because practice makes perfect

obligatory sorry you dont got hope this helps
Old 02-11-2022, 09:55 PM
Skeleton

Bumping post! Stunningly best p99 racer ever! Everyone else get to the test servers and practice!
Old 02-11-2022, 10:35 PM
Sarnak

I tried the Human Benchmark thing and got a low of 133 and a high of 233 I was usually around the 170s. Read the information about it. If you have an average monitor it can add 50ms...I have a great monitor. I imagine most the people using that site has average monitors. The median is probably way lower in reality. You are playing a game. Most gamers get monitors that enhance their experience. It is probably why you see them having this supposed gain over that random test of gamers and non-gamers.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have been around since 2014 or so. The population has steadily gone up, and remained where it is now for a few years. Obviously those people you are talking about like the game, or they would quit. And the majority of casual players are not like this. So I am not sure what you are trying to drive at here.
There has been a big drop in the aussie night time / euro day time a few years ago and it never picked back up, not really even during locks (which is the time it would have happened if ever). American evening times seem busier than ever.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-12-2022, 04:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic EQ wasn't competitive. Hope this helps.

90%+ servers had a single guild at the top gobbling up all the raid content they wanted and everything they didn't want went to random guilds who just happened to find mobs up. No one tracked things, very few guilds or people had timers going for raid mobs. There was no fighting over mobs.
I think you folks keep trying to make a distinction between the raid scene and everything else. They are one and the same. Some of you "non-raiders" are the most ruthless people on the server when it comes to camps. No one ever mentions that aspect, do they? No, it's the "raiders". I digress.

Finite world, finite camps, respawn timers (why have if not competitive?), variable respawn timers on many various mobs, quests, epic quests, quests that no longer work due to removal, items that no longer drop, differing drop rates on different loot on different loot tables, failure rates in trade skills, RNG checks and variation on literally everything, ec market, for years on Live and now in a time locked server representing that main soul of the game, etc...

One can go on and on without even touching the raid scene in this explanation, yet I believe the point has been overwhelmingly made.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:59 AM
Banned

Some need to understand that anything that lessens interaction in an MMO is a terrible thing and there are butterfly effects from more interaction, mostly positive. Instancing, in general, helped to take the genre into the wrong direction and ultimately limits it by placing a ceiling on any of these unforeseen consequences of interaction. You're artificially preventing the fun and possibility of unknown interactions from occurring.

Here's an idea to repopulate Red btw: allow all players on Green and Blue to duplicate one character per account over to Red, an instant character copy minus banks and plat.

Instant server population acquired. Even time limit it for a "testing" phase if you want, maybe a month or whatever. Make an event out of it? /shrug
Old 02-12-2022, 07:19 AM
Planar Protector

Good insight in above post.

I was doing a corpse recovery yesterday after unfortunately passing through the digestive tracts of an elder snow griffon.

I got the corpse to a zoneline, and along ran a monk, chased by a couple of giants.

If I wasn’t there he’d have just zoned them. Instead i shot him an invite, we beat down one, zoned the other and had a chat. I made a new acquaintance from a situation which might never have occurred if EW opened instances for ring stuff.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-12-2022, 07:26 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantagarBrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's an idea to repopulate Red btw: allow all players on Green and Blue to duplicate one character per account over to Red, an instant character copy minus banks and plat.

Instant server population acquired. Even time limit it for a "testing" phase if you want, maybe a month or whatever. Make an event out of it? /shrug
I'd do this at the drop of a hat. Hell, make a PvP Purple server that's to test this theory. If nothing else it'd be amazing fun for a few weeks.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:12 AM
Sarnak

tl;dr a bunch of unemployed people who abuse alcohol and drugs have slow reaction times
Old 02-12-2022, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantagarBrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Finite world, finite camps, respawn timers (why have if not competitive?)
Because it was literally the only option available with the technology and knowledge available in 1999 perhaps? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Classic EQ got some things right and it's still near and dear to my heart in a lot of ways. At the end of the day though it's still technically a failed mutation in a long evolutionary history of MMO's and video games in general. It's extremely foolish to imply that because of spawn times and no instances that must mean Brad sat in his chair thinking to himself "Man I really hope people line up at the snow line in Kael and stare at a screenshare/bind sight for 16 hours to run a preplanned footrace they've practiced hundreds of times for a chance to kill a giant with a guild of 70 people that drops 2 items". No chance things just worked out that way coincidentally and it had some negative side effects they didn't anticipate? That they fairly quickly started addressing via GM rotations on many servers and eventually instances?

There's a reason there has been ZERO other games that do this and I hate to break it to you.... It's not because EQ did it right and everybody else is wrong for 23 years.
Closed Thread