Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aborath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why near 50 for dual wield to become more viable than 2h? Is it the skill cap?
It's when the damage bonus on your main hand overcomes the fantastic ratios of rng only 2h weapons.

For reference to these weapons:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Woodsman%27s_Staff has a .89 ratio for 8k and is the best 2h weap money can buy for a ranger.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Springwood_Stave has a .74 ratio for like 200p
http://wiki.project1999.com/Arbitor%...ine_Greatsword has a .7 ratio for 500p

Damage bonus is a static +X damage per hit from your main hand. This bonus is applied every time a hit lands

Damage bonus is (Level - 25) / 3 rounded down. So at level 50 you have a damage bonus of 8.

In 350 delay the woodsman staff swings 10 times and will do 80 points of pure bonus damage (if all attacks hit).

In 350 delay a Jade Mace will swing 19 times and will do 152 points of pure bonus damage.

Max damage for a weapon is Damage*2.
The Woodsman staff can potentially do another 10*(31*2) = 10*72 = 720 damage for a total of 800 damage.
The Jade Mace can potentially do another 19*(9*2) = 19*18 = 342 damage for a total of 494

We'll say the off-hand weapon is also a jade mace. I'm not sure what the dual wield attack rate is like at level 50 is but if it swings 17 times (I don't think this is terribly likely) then dual wielding jade maces at level 50 would be roughly equal DPS to a woodsman staff. You don't get better weapons than jade maces on a ranger without spending 30-60k on each of those weapons.

Because I've gone this far and now I'm curious, at level 60 the damage bonus is 11.

This would be:
830 damage done by the woodsman staff due to higher bonus
703 damage done by the jade mace due to the higher bonus

That means dual wielding jade maces you'd need to dual wield successfully 7 times to do the same damage as a woodsman staff. This seem incredibly likely.

TL;DR - As damage bonus increases, dual wield becomes better than 2h. For a ranger, this doesn't happen until 50+ and not until 55+ unless you have really good/expensive weapons.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good infoz...
Wow, alot of great information. I'm embarassed to say that, even though I played a monk in classic EQ, I had no idea about damage bonuses.

I'm glad to know that my ranger is set until I happen to scrounge up 7k for a Woodsman (currently using SilverSwftb/SpringwoodStv... possibly swapping to Stave full-time once I hit 20).

Kadatha Sharptail <BDA> ~ Level 40 Iksar Monk
Old 02-19-2014, 04:59 AM
Banned

Whoever is complaining about spamming heal spells as tedious you know you can just make a macro for it, even throw in some /sit in between the casts in the macro and you'll barely even lose mana.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's when the damage bonus on your main hand overcomes the fantastic ratios of rng only 2h weapons.

For reference to these weapons:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Woodsman%27s_Staff has a .89 ratio for 8k and is the best 2h weap money can buy for a ranger.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Springwood_Stave has a .74 ratio for like 200p
http://wiki.project1999.com/Arbitor%...ine_Greatsword has a .7 ratio for 500p

Damage bonus is a static +X damage per hit from your main hand. This bonus is applied every time a hit lands

Damage bonus is (Level - 25) / 3 rounded down. So at level 50 you have a damage bonus of 8.

In 350 delay the woodsman staff swings 10 times and will do 80 points of pure bonus damage (if all attacks hit).

In 350 delay a Jade Mace will swing 19 times and will do 152 points of pure bonus damage.

Max damage for a weapon is Damage*2.
The Woodsman staff can potentially do another 10*(31*2) = 10*72 = 720 damage for a total of 800 damage.
The Jade Mace can potentially do another 19*(9*2) = 19*18 = 342 damage for a total of 494

We'll say the off-hand weapon is also a jade mace. I'm not sure what the dual wield attack rate is like at level 50 is but if it swings 17 times (I don't think this is terribly likely) then dual wielding jade maces at level 50 would be roughly equal DPS to a woodsman staff. You don't get better weapons than jade maces on a ranger without spending 30-60k on each of those weapons.

Because I've gone this far and now I'm curious, at level 60 the damage bonus is 11.

This would be:
830 damage done by the woodsman staff due to higher bonus
703 damage done by the jade mace due to the higher bonus

That means dual wielding jade maces you'd need to dual wield successfully 7 times to do the same damage as a woodsman staff. This seem incredibly likely.

TL;DR - As damage bonus increases, dual wield becomes better than 2h. For a ranger, this doesn't happen until 50+ and not until 55+ unless you have really good/expensive weapons.
2 Jade maces almost equals but never exceeds woodsmans staff.

Code is:

// Sep. 19, 2000 until Oct. 8, 2001, delay adjustments.
else if (RuleI(Combat,TwoHandedDmgBonus) == 2)
{
if (Weapon->Delay <= 27)
return (GetLevel() - 22) / 3; // Just 1h bonus + 1.

int32 base;
if (GetLevel() > 50)
base = ((GetLevel() - 7) / 3);
else
base = ((GetLevel() - 25) / 2);

if (Weapon->Delay <= 39)
return base;
else if (Weapon->Delay <= 42)
return base + 1;
else if (Weapon->Delay <= 44)
return base + 3;
else
return base + (Weapon->Delay - 31)/3;
Last edited by koros; 02-19-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2 Jade maces almost equals but never exceeds woodsmans staff.

Code is:

else if (RuleI(Combat,TwoHandedDmgBonus) == 2)
{
if (Weapon->Delay <= 27)
return (GetLevel() - 22) / 3; // Just 1h bonus + 1.

int32 base;
if (GetLevel() > 50)
base = ((GetLevel() - 7) / 3);
else
base = ((GetLevel() - 25) / 2);

if (Weapon->Delay <= 39)
return base;
else if (Weapon->Delay <= 42)
return base + 1;
else if (Weapon->Delay <= 44)
return base + 3;
else
return base + (Weapon->Delay - 31)/3;
The damage bonus for 2handed weapons is currently the same as it is for 1h weapons. We haven't hit the Velious 2hand update which changes the bonus for 2handers to bring them more in line with dual wielding for dps.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The damage bonus for 2handed weapons is currently the same as it is for 1h weapons. We haven't hit the Velious 2hand update which changes the bonus for 2handers to bring them more in line with dual wielding for dps.

There was a change in Kunark too.

Rogean himself posted that code...
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Ah, you're right. I missed that.

So the damage bonus for the Woodsman at lvl 50 would be (50-25)/2 = 12
At 60 it would be (60-7)/3 = 17.

That changes things dramatically.

Also, that sucks.

2HB animation is fricken retarded.

Red99

Last edited by baalzy; 02-19-2014 at 08:36 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

http://wiki.project1999.com/Two_Handed_Practice_Sword

this proc only a 6pt DS or it higher?

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeattk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://wiki.project1999.com/Two_Handed_Practice_Sword

this proc only a 6pt DS or it higher?
only 6 points. garbage weapon.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 AM
Planar Protector

`only 6 points. garbage weapon.`

yes the ratio is awful. WOndering if the procced DS is on the same slot as the DS potions?

OR could I get em to stack? a DS of 10+ is actually useful.

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Closed Thread