Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Aviak

Default Spell Research Situation

Should I expect to be able to buy most of my spells on my enchanter at somewhat reasonable prices or should I expect that i'll have to get into research myself to get most of my non purchasable spells?
Old 01-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Large Bat

Just to piggy back onto this topic. I've been leveling an enchanter, and have yet to see a good many of my research only spells for sale in EC. Leaving me no choice but to vendor hunt for the pages. Does anyone have any idea what the best vendors to search are for this purpose?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Skeleton

I have a few of the research only spells for enchanters up to maybe 24? (i'm at work at the moment and can't check). I am currently in EC and if it's a spell you need just let me know and you can have it.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Aviak

To OP: In my experience it was a combination of both. I had trouble finding spells/sellers/pages. Eventually it wasn't a problem but if you think about it long before the skill is needed you may not have the same issues I did. For research, heres how I got mine up:
  1. Look for pages at vendors... every vendor. Common sellers often have pages. (think OASIS Gypsies)
  2. Do /OOC that you are buying pages. Don't overspend here
  3. In groups, state you are looking for enchanter pages. if someone says this I always unload mine off to them free. Any new page drops they auto-get.

The pages come in "tiers"... hard to explain but certain pages will only drop off of certain level mobs. Dig into this more, it may be in the wiki, but don't buy pages from places that will not increase research skill, unless you are looking to combine some spells that are hard to get.

If you don't have the research to combine a spell and have the components, PM me, I'm happy to help!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Banned

Can also search the east commonlands tunnel forum on here.

I did my own research here on P99 as it was my first EQ experience and I leveled entirely in groups. I saw (approx) 5x as many mob corpses as someone who solo'd their way up, which meant a heck of a lot more access to pages.

Best of luck!
Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Buying spells in EQ is expensive for a good portion of the game. Most of your spells will be purchased from NPCs, while some need to be researched. The researched spells are essentially free if you group a lot. As kjs86z says, grouping is a good way to acquire pages because you'll more often than not be the only person of your class in a group. Spells as you get close to max level also start to become NPC drops only.

Vendor spells, though, will require you to travel to purchase specific spells as some spells are only sold by specific vendors, and NPC spell prices are intimidating for a newbie. This starts at level 8, when spells start costing ~4pp/spell, then increase through level 24ish, where they are both 18pp/spell for intelligence casters (Necromancer, Magician, Enchanter, Wizard). Use the Project 1999 Wiki to find where specific spells are sold. (The Wiki doesn't show prices, though.)

If you find you can't keep up with spell prices, there are a few money making tips you can look up on Google. You can also try to join a guild and build relationships before you hit that point, so you might have help when you need it.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Fire Giant

You can use your training points to level research from 1 to 200. It gets expensive near the end but by that time you'll have a lot more money to play with. I don't recommend trying to level up by combines, you'll waste a lot of potential plat that way. As you've discovered, there's not a lot of people selling researched spells and the ones that do price them to skin rich, lazy twinks.

You an also take your research book (Lexicon/Grimoire/etc) to EC (and WC) with pages for the spells you need combined and ask in OOC if someone can help combine them for a new player. You'll likely find someone who doesn't mind helping as long as they know it's for a new player and not someone's 10th alt in 200k in gear that's too cheap to buy them or someone that's trying to resell them.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Sarnak

One of the greatest things I've read in a guide for int casters was to spend your training points in research. It then asked the reader What else is there to spend the points in?

It is true. Dump what you can in research. Put the rest in Ogre Tongue or sumfin
Old 01-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Aviak

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the info everyone. It's amazing how helpful people have been so far. I'm up to lvl 7 and dying in befallen haha.
Closed Thread