Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 05:27 AM
Fire Giant

Default Returning player; can't decide on class

Heyas,

so after a pretty long break i plan on returning to this server. I logged on my enchanter yesterday but was simply overwhelmed by my spellbook. And as my ench is already 60 i will need to get into the game again before i can play my ench properly. So im thinking of starting a new char, mainly for grouping. I can't decide between SK and pally, or maybe monk. I really love the playstyle of enchanters, and how they are a class thats challenging to play. So im looking for the class thats harder to be good at, and closer to the enchanter way of playing. Would that be paladin,SK or monk? also, are the hybrid penalties still ingame right now, if yes, for how much longer? if they aren't ingame anymore id probably choose Iksar/SK, if they are i guess im tending for Dwarf Pala or iksar monk. When it comes to monk my main concern is, if it can be kinda boring in groups, because they dont have any spells at all. How challenging is playing a monk in groups? any opinions appreciated !
Old 01-22-2016, 06:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So im looking for the class thats harder to be good at, and closer to the enchanter way of playing. Would that be paladin,SK or monk?
Um magician? Probably closer is bard, but I don't like saying bard not unless it's "/ooc haha another bard died to his own swarm again!". er well anyhoot, out of those choices I'd refine it to SK or monk. Going to raid? Think that's monk. But SK has some power, pretty easy to get groups. No, penalty removed a few months back. Took a break mid/late last year, came back and found it gone like rabies.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Planar Protector

Probably the closest game play to an enchanter you'll get is on another enchanter. If you really enjoy the game as a particular class, unless you want a completely different experience, there's nothing wrong with doing it again. Would let you ease back into your enchanter role with very easy twinking from giving your old dropable gear to the new char.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So im looking for the class thats harder to be good at, and closer to the enchanter way of playing.
Paladin imo. You get use of the lull line, root, and stuns. Someone else told me this, but think of paladins as bodyguards for the enchanter. It's especially true on raids, but while grouping too. You've got the snap aggro to save group mates, the hp to take on the damage, and the heals to recover.

Quote:
also, are the hybrid penalties still ingame right now, if yes, for how much longer?
Hybrid penalties are gone, racial penalties still exist.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Sarnak

You have 8 character slots. Make 8 different characters. The one you end up playing the most will be your favorite.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Kobold

Lightbulb

Clearly you should make a ranger with some misspelling of legolas as a name.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

necro would be your best bet if you want an enchanter-like experience. pally / sk / monk is a completely different beast altogether and will not prepare you for getting back into enc.

i would recommend reading Loraen's class selection guide if you haven't.
Zurui - 58 Gnome Enchanter of Bertoxxulous
Kyura - 56 High Elf Cleric of Tunare
Blue Server - Retired
Twitch
Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladin imo. You get use of the lull line, root, and stuns. Someone else told me this, but think of paladins as bodyguards for the enchanter. It's especially true on raids, but while grouping too. You've got the snap aggro to save group mates, the hp to take on the damage, and the heals to recover.
One guy who played both an enchanter and a paladin referred to being a paladin like "having an enchanter in your pocket". The lull and root stuff is real helpful. You can't charm or mez, sure, but at least you have CC and ways to pull that mimic enchanter pulling.

It's definitely the most enchanter-like of those three classes. SKs and monks pull in an entirely different way with FD and don't have much CC otherwise. (If you're an SK and fighting undead, you get a lull, but that's specialized circumstances.)
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 01-23-2016, 02:44 AM
Fire Giant

Bard is the most enchanter like experience you can have. I'm not even sure why any other class is in the equation.

Lull, Mez, Charm, Haste.

It's not EXACTLY like ench, but it will get you back into crowd control management, and it can be difficult to give everyone in your group what they want. You can level faster than heck, if you feel like it one night, or you can group and be extremely valuable and challenged the next night. Not to mention the travel benefits of Selo's at lightspeed.

Thats my recommendation.

Asher
Old 01-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Sarnak

I agree with Ennewi and Thufir, a well played pally in a group is amazing at the things they can do.
Closed Thread