Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathius41 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here is a novel idea. If you don't like ports? WALK your happy ass where you want to go. Not everyone has to play the way YOU want to play. As far as porting people around for plat not being classic? I call BS. I was there from day one and remember druids sitting at rings taking plat for ports. Just because someone had brains to organize makes it unclassic? wtf are you smoking?
I like this guy
Old 08-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppykid [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like this guy
Thanks! I like me too
Old 08-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Not only did druids sit around the rings porting people, but people would set up SOW camps for money as well.

Hell, we used to (as druids) run around to the camps as mobile bankers, cashing out change for plat, buying bronze weaps, fs weaps and gating them back to town for a fee. 10% charge to bank, so people didnt have to give up their camps or spots in groups.

There were entire economies built off of the "services" of druids.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I just came here to say fuck the bards
Old 08-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There was no mechanism in place for porters to instantly be connected to everyone in the World for a port. Port classes had to advertise per zone and people had to manually do /who all searches and PM each individual player to find a port. Again, even beyond that, port classes were busier trying to actually play the game to begin with. Not just do nothing but port while waiting in queue to do mass AoE power-level.
The entire point of this game is that its a sandbox. There have been raiding, tradeskill, and roleplaying guilds since the launch of EQ. Porting is a tradeskill. How you can think that a group of people binding together to offer a classic service is not classic is beyond my understanding. Do you believe <cracked staff artisans> or <dirty gnoll brewing company> are bad for norrath too? Whats the difference between them and dial a port other than the size of the entity and its amount of business?

Also the obvious answer of: if you dont like them, dont deal with them. I openly advertise against dial a port and try not to ever use their services, but arguing that its not classic is just lol to me.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mana burning Wizards isn't classic and that is still different; a group of Wizards working together for a shared self-interest. Yes, Druids and Wizards were designed to have fast travel for THEIR GROUP. Obviously either of these classes can choose to port people around on their own whim as well, and people learned to do /who all wizard or druid to find ports, but never was it the intent to have "Dial-a-Port" and never was that how the game actually played in Classic. Druids and Wizards were mostly busy trying to, you know, actually play the game themselves.

There is a reason why Plane of Knowledge was so terrible for the game and why nobody who actually understands classic Everquest wants that kind of porting mechanic in the game. "Dial-a-Port" isn't quite so bad as PoK, but similar in its degradation of the core values of the game.

I would advise you not to use the word moronic, you'll just have egg on your face with the line of argumentation you're trying to present.
You want us to take you seriously, yet you use PoK as a comparison to Dial A Port? Do we get direct ports to ANY city on P99? No. Not even close to being PoK like. You dont click a druid and instantly port right to a major city. You get a port, and hoof it to wherever you need to go.

Designed around "THEIR GROUP"? Are you stupid? You have to be in their group to fucking port you momo. Working as intended. And fyi, im not going to hold your hand and google it, but on Morell Thule before Velious even happened we had a guild of porters JUST like Dial a Port. There were also guilds on Fennin, as well as Sol Ro, and Vazaelle, to name a few. No...it neeeeeever happened in classic.

If the devs didn't like the way ports were being used in classic, they would have made them take rediculous amounts of mana, and put shit on a long cooldown, like they did a lot of spells and items from back in the day. Classic EQ was a hotbed of emergent sandboxy gameplay. The devs were quick to fix crap they didint like. I assure you the developers of early EQ understood what classic EQ was like, far better than you ever will. I highly doubt you ever even played classic EQ. You talk like someone who started playing post PoP, and googled your bullshit. Go back to WoW, we dont need you here.
Last edited by ld420; 08-14-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Old 08-14-2016, 06:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I don't understand the negative perception to be honest. Aside from what? The ability to organize labor and establish agreed upon "fees" for services? What is the difference between every druid and wizard in the game being in one guild, or spread across a bunch of guilds, in terms of it's effect of "porting services" to the server?

I don't understand the logic.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld420 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You want us to take you seriously, yet you use PoK as a comparison to Dial A Port? Do we get direct ports to ANY city on P99? No. Not even close to being PoK like. You dont click a druid and instantly port right to a major city. You get a port, and hoof it to wherever you need to go.
Hahahaha. I just picture a halfling wearing a helm that looks like a book now. Maybe if you click a Book of Obulus this will port to PoK?!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld420 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The devs were quick to fix crap they didint like.
Was the fire pot room in TD Classic? I actually don't know, does anyone else? It's interesting they had the fire pot room, then later restricted binding there and then reintroduced a similar idea on a far larger and more accessible state in POK (non classic I know, but many of the same minds were involved. They viewed POK, rightly or wrongly, as an improvement in game play).

Just trying to collect all the facts on the topic so the discussion is as realistic as possible.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Fire Giant

firepots are 100% classic but you were only able to bind there for about 4 days on live: http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000428.html
Closed Thread