Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Default Show me some magic, disappear?

What happened to the flurry of magicians that used to be seen on the server? Maybe it's just me but they are becoming the "new ranger" in terms of scarcity... in fact I'd say there's more rangers than mages running around.

Any reason for this? As a die hard wizard on live I couldn't lower myself to create one ([You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]) but still, why are they less popular in the last few months?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

Mages took a gigantic hit to the viability of their class when the pet experience rules were changed. Now, if your pet deals more damage than you, it steals 50% of the experience. For shamans and necromancers that is not a very big problem. For mages, it is an impossible condition to meet without gaining aggro or dispelling your pet.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Planar Protector

Does the 50% damage rule still apply if you're in a group? (ie - your pet outdamages your nukes within the group's damage on a mob).
Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Kobold

No, does not apply in groups.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does the 50% damage rule still apply if you're in a group? (ie - your pet outdamages your nukes within the group's damage on a mob).
No, not that I've noticed. And that's usually impossible to do anyway.

It IS possible to "mage kite" with Jboots (or a SoW) and an open space + Earth Pet and prevent having the pet out-dps you or having to reclaim it. But this is mana intensive and limits the solo areas the class can effectively hit. Usually not even remotely worth it.

But so yeah basically, as far as P99 is concerned, we're the robed equivalent to a Ranger. We're good for CoTH if we ever make it to 55. That's it.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Sarnak

dont be pussies i have a 68% xp penalty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Sarnak

Most of them are lvl 60, fat on cash, bored, rolling alts / new mains.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Aviak

The pet xp change was definitely a factor. But before that the mage population had started to slip because the days of the old 20-30 mage raids were pretty much extinct after Kunark.

I bet 70% of your old ubers still have lvl 50 or 51 mages with full planar that never get touched. Old one-purpose toons. Relics of a dead age.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Orc

My mage is 45 and sitting in the stable. The pet experience change was a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorpa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My mage is 45 and sitting in the stable. The pet experience change was a deal breaker for me.
try grouping?
Closed Thread