Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

Default The Most Unclassic Raid Scene Fix Ever

Note: I don't think this is a legitimate solution, I just think its kinda cool.

I feel that the fundamental problem with the P1999 raid scene is too many players. If every mob's spawn time was known in advance, 4-5 guilds of 200 players total could easily show up. This created a no-fun environment where said raid mob popped, was immediately one-shotted by hundreds of players, and then the GMs got to sort things out and award loot. To avoid this, the current system of variance was created. The primary purpose of variance is get rid of as many players as possible. By spreading the mob's spawn times out, only the most unemployed, err dedicated players would spend hours tracking and being willing to log on at a moment's notice at 4AM.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that EQ is just not designed to handle players racing for mobs. Think about Nagafen and the fire giants: if your guild straightforwardly kills them, the next guild simply leapfrogs you. If you train stuff around its quite hard to not randomly wipe the other guild.

This leads very straightforwardly to an obvious question: How can we make the EQ endgame PvE again? Since we currently have a huge and well equipped player base, that would mean that all the mobs would have to get a substantial boost. So, the most unclassic raid scene fix ever: When every raid mob spawns, it gets a 10 level and 250% hp boost, decreasing by 1 level and 25% hp per hour. So Trakanon would spawn at L75 with about 200k hp; after 5 hours he would be L70 with 120k hp, and after 10 hours he would be "normal" at L65 with 32k hp. To compensate for the increased difficulty, each raid mob would have additional items added to the loot table which would be removed as time went on, so if you killed trak at L72 you might get 4 BPs and 5 teeth, at L68 you might get 3 BPs and 4 teeth, and at 65 he would be back to his normal loot table.

Obviously the numbers could be tweaked; it might be cool to tweak the "guardians" of raid mobs as well - it would be funny if all the fire giants were suddenly L60 and hitting for 300 for a few hours after Nagafen spawns. And if you are paying attention you are realizing this is basically a version of instancing.

Anyway, I don't think this will or should happen, but there are two cool things about it: this scenario would really encourage players to work together rather than fighting each other for the scraps, and I think there would be some pretty epic zergs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

Sounds like a pretty cool idea, but would most likely just promote the p99 trend of enormous mega guilds who trivialize content through pure numbers.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Fire Giant

make raid zones pvp let the paramedics sort em out....
Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

making stuff harder would make sense to me.

after all.. challenge is the fun of eq
Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Note: I don't think this is a legitimate solution, I just think its kinda cool.

I feel that the fundamental problem with the P1999 raid scene is too many players. If every mob's spawn time was known in advance, 4-5 guilds of 200 players total could easily show up. This created a no-fun environment where said raid mob popped, was immediately one-shotted by hundreds of players, and then the GMs got to sort things out and award loot. To avoid this, the current system of variance was created. The primary purpose of variance is get rid of as many players as possible. By spreading the mob's spawn times out, only the most unemployed, err dedicated players would spend hours tracking and being willing to log on at a moment's notice at 4AM.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that EQ is just not designed to handle players racing for mobs. Think about Nagafen and the fire giants: if your guild straightforwardly kills them, the next guild simply leapfrogs you. If you train stuff around its quite hard to not randomly wipe the other guild.

This leads very straightforwardly to an obvious question: How can we make the EQ endgame PvE again? Since we currently have a huge and well equipped player base, that would mean that all the mobs would have to get a substantial boost. So, the most unclassic raid scene fix ever: When every raid mob spawns, it gets a 10 level and 250% hp boost, decreasing by 1 level and 25% hp per hour. So Trakanon would spawn at L75 with about 200k hp; after 5 hours he would be L70 with 120k hp, and after 10 hours he would be "normal" at L65 with 32k hp. To compensate for the increased difficulty, each raid mob would have additional items added to the loot table which would be removed as time went on, so if you killed trak at L72 you might get 4 BPs and 5 teeth, at L68 you might get 3 BPs and 4 teeth, and at 65 he would be back to his normal loot table.

Obviously the numbers could be tweaked; it might be cool to tweak the "guardians" of raid mobs as well - it would be funny if all the fire giants were suddenly L60 and hitting for 300 for a few hours after Nagafen spawns. And if you are paying attention you are realizing this is basically a version of instancing.

Anyway, I don't think this will or should happen, but there are two cool things about it: this scenario would really encourage players to work together rather than fighting each other for the scraps, and I think there would be some pretty epic zergs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
+1 for this guys thinking

atm this games way to easy for the ammount of well geared endgame players we got cause if you think its fun to kill 32k hp mobs in 10secs after tracking them for days and days you got brain problems.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Sarnak

This kind of thread pops up every few weeks. No one (in charge) cares anymore. Get used to it until Velious is out or leave.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Aviak

Solid in theory but in practice it would just mean more mobs for TMO. They could field the 120+ needed to drop any of your buffed mobs and would end up mopping up, as per usual.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

Why not just have simultaneous repops or something actually close to classic?
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Repops are fun.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree; I posted a long thread about that and got no interest from the admins.

However, the main difference from this thread is that in principle at least this changes the endgame scene from guilds racing to guilds working together (err zerging) the raid bosses with the 100+ people that would be required to take down what would basically be a Velious mob with Kunark gear.

As stated I don't think this will or should happen, its just a cute idea.
Closed Thread