Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Sarnak

Default Mage Weapon Question

As a level 34 mage ,what summoned weapons should I be using for best DPS?

Sowrd of Runes - though it looks like it only procs on summoned?

thoughts? I've never really devoted much time into mage'ing it and am curious what the professional mage folks think.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterChimp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a level 34 mage ,what summoned weapons should I be using for best DPS?

Sowrd of Runes - though it looks like it only procs on summoned?

thoughts? I've never really devoted much time into mage'ing it and am curious what the professional mage folks think.
Pet weapons will only matter if you need them to enable dual wield, they have enough damage to increase pet damage, or they have a useful proc. Weapon delay is not used on pets, so don't worry about that.

To determine if a weapon will increase your pets damage, you simply multiply the base damage of the weapon by 2, and compare it to the max hit damage of your pet. For example, if your pet hits for 34 damage max, you would need to give him a weapon with at least 18 damage to see an increase. An 18 damage weapon would change your pets max hit damage to 36.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:33 AM
Fire Giant

Except at low lvls only the procs add any damage.
So since your per innately duel wields, summoned weopons add nothing.
Cheap stuff like gnolls whips add useful procs pretty low cost. Wintry clubs, If your feeling spicy adamantite Bo sticks are fun.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:35 AM
Sarnak

Very interesting. This is the type of insight I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2022, 04:36 PM
Sarnak

So at 34, i'm lucky and get a pet that hits for 34 (meaning it is a "max pet").

Giving it any of the weapons I can summon won't make it any better as technically i'd need a 18 damage or higher weapon...unless I use some gnoll hide lariat or something to proc.

So another quick question, does givign it two gnoll hide lariats work better, or just give it one?
Old 01-03-2022, 04:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterChimp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So at 34, i'm lucky and get a pet that hits for 34 (meaning it is a "max pet").

Giving it any of the weapons I can summon won't make it any better as technically i'd need a 18 damage or higher weapon...unless I use some gnoll hide lariat or something to proc.

So another quick question, does givign it two gnoll hide lariats work better, or just give it one?
AFAIK two would be better, since it means you get more procs. That is how it works with dual wield classes like warriors. I am not an expert on summoned pets, so I couldn't say for sure if there is some special rule regarding proc rates when dual wielding on pets. The only exception I know is animal pets like the Shaman wolf cannot equip weapons at all. But that doesn't apply to Mages, except for maybe the Monster Summoning line of spells? I don't really know how those work.

But obviously giving your pet 2x lariats each time means you are going through your lariats 2x faster, so at that point it becomes a logistics question in terms of bag space, money spent, time acquiring more, etc.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:53 PM
Fire Giant

Off hand proc rate is exactly half the main hand,and will be very low at 34. When you get a bit higher they proc a lot and 2 is more worthwhile
Old 01-04-2022, 10:37 AM
Sarnak

During Fear raids on my necro, I remember all of the pet classes parking their pets at the tree and Mages would give them all summoned swords.

Why the summoned swords? If they don't really add anything? I'm sure there is a reason, I just don't understand this.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
During Fear raids on my necro, I remember all of the pet classes parking their pets at the tree and Mages would give them all summoned swords.
How long ago was this? The summoned swords used to proc on anything. It was a bug that was eventually corrected.

Quote:
Why the summoned swords? If they don't really add anything? I'm sure there is a reason, I just don't understand this.
Are these charmed pets? They don't innately dual wield. If the charmer did not have any torches, mage weapons are an available alternative. You'd need two per pet though to get one into the off-hand.

If there not charmed pets, and this wasn't an era when the swords were proccing, it was mostly done in vain.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

I think back then we just thought it did more damage, before there was a nice "Pet Information" wiki guide like we have today. Also just made the pets look cooler.
Closed Thread