Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Completely depends on your preferred playstyle and what you hope to accomplish with this solo character.

Shaman - Kinda rough until 34, but 34+, you're pretty much golden. Root rotting will be your main fix. You get slows, pet (34+), dots, haste, way too many stat buffs, and the ability to get mana back faster. At 60 with Torpor, you're one of the best (if not THE best) soloers in the game. But if you camp seafuries, INT casters will hate you for your slow root rotting tactics.

Necro - Great soloers 1-50+. Fear kiting is your main strat, can also do root rotting. Feign death is extremely helpful and you play a constant balancing act trying to up to your HP and mana, between Lich and Lifetaps. As Raev said, they aren't as strong in the later levels because without slows and tashes, mobs can start resist chains and then summon you and quad your face. Only entertaining when the you're not that Necro. (Also to note that Necros don't require gear to be able to solo.)

Druid - Quadding machines from 34+. Before 34, not as easy to solo, but pretty easy to find a group. 52+, say goodbye to groups, since you'll be less useful than any alternatives. You could probably still get lucky and find a KC group with a Shaman and no Clerics LFG, but that's about it. Not that grouping matters in a solo discussion, just something to think about. Honestly, a Druid is wonderful to get to your lower 50's, then just port and PL to save up enough to twink a different toon and change that to your main.

Bard - Haven't done a Bard high level, so not sure when swarm kiting becomes OP, but this is another class that could be played naked. Once you figure out how to swarm properly, you'll never get hit and you'll be killing 30+ mobs at a time. Just try to avoid picking up reds in your swarm, otherwise you'll have loot rotting. You may also want to look into getting one of those carpal tunnel wrist braces, since twisting is non-stop button mashing. Bards are also awesome PLers and one of the few that are extremely good at PLing higher levels, since the Druid stops being as effective beyond lvl 40 or so.

Magician - Outside of Enchanters, they have the strongest pets. They can easily solo from 1-60, but personally, I don't like pet chaining. Being able to summon useful items and having an awesome epic pet are definitely pluses though and they have some decent direct damage spells. Later on, if you ever plan to raid, just realize your sole purpose is to stare off into the distance and cast Call of the Hero over and over again. But at least you've got muzzles for pets!

Enchanter - "Yo dawg, you got some of dat C?" You'll be reading this a lot. If you hate buffing people, keep anon/role up at all times and never go in groups, otherwise people will friend you and hunt you down. Very similar to Shamans in the sense that they get better the higher level they are. Charm is your bread and butter and being able to 60%+ haste a pet that's already a quadding machine is a beautiful thing. Until charm breaks and that's a very fast death bed. Personally, I liked soloing 29+, because I love clarity and it's around this time that mobs are hitting more than summoned pets. Prior to that, it's definitely doable to solo, just not as effective. Very effective at making an income and while they do require stat gear more than other INT casters, it's not as necessary in comparison to a Shaman. Outside of charm/haste/clarity, you've also got a stun line, mez line, AE mez/stun, and tash line. You can be any character race and then some with one simple cast and if you ever get bored of having a pet that hates you, you'll always be needed in groups. However you'll still have a pet that hates you, you'll just have more assistance when his charm randomly breaks.

Wizard - Able to quad at lvl 29+. Prior to that, I don't recommend soloing. Any class can solo, it just depends on how effective it is and non-quadding wizards are not effective. I remember my first character on live was a Wizard. I think I got him to lvl 5 before losing my mind and deleting him. Casting twice and being OOM is suuuuuper fun and then not being able to take a hit is also suuuuuuper fun. They can also be fairly profitable since they are the other porting class and also able to port to planes. I just find them to be fairly boring outside of quadding. If you ever do group with them, most people assume you're AFK (which will probably will be) since you can't chain cast and if you start out the gate by hitting the tanked mob, you'll be the new tank. So depending on your tanks capabilities and your level range, you'll basically be casting on <50% mobs or sitting. A wizard is most useful in groups that can't kill fast or pulled too much. Wizards are also highly desired in raids for their burst dps and that becomes even more true come Velious. So if you like sitting a lot, porting people around, and want to raid later on, good class for you.

Ranger - Apparently they can solo. Can't really comment on them since I don't think I've gone past lvl 15 on one. But I have seen Rangers snaring/rooting mobs and turning into wolf form Legolas and firing arrow after arrow out of their mouths.
Last edited by Kengo; 07-08-2015 at 01:42 PM..
Old 07-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Fire Giant

If you want to solo pick one of these:
Shaman - Rough going until later levels, high gear requirement to solo, expensive to equip at level 60
Necro - Can solo to 60 basically naked. Pick Iksar or go home.
Bard - Can solo to 48 in the course of a week, then 48-55 pretty quickly if you're the kind of masochist who likes AOE kiting in Burning Woods. Slow, but reliable soloist even at 50+
Enchanter - Charm soloing is tough but you can do it with minimal gear, and CHA gear is cheap
Druid - Can kite your way to glory
Wizard - Quad for success at 29+, kind of sucks before then and not very good in groups

Any other class is going to be painful to solo, but it's still possible
Old 07-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Lot of people in this thread have never played a magician. If the mob can't summon, you win.

Enc nec sham are stronger because they have support and utility spells ie root mez fd.

Outside of animal charming I'd solo with a Mage over Druid and wizard any day
Last edited by azeth; 07-08-2015 at 03:39 PM..
Old 07-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Sarnak

Human SK. Solo 59 in KC wearing Flayed. Baller

Friends currently on EverQuest:
---------------------------------
There are no players in EverQuest that match those who filters.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Fire Giant

Necro
Old 07-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by serjordanmormont [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I could see myself having fun with a Barbarian Shaman. What is the best Shaman solo technique? Already have a necro that i'm duoing with a buddy so I don't want to play him as my Solo character.
I have a level 24 barb shammy. Root, dot (melee as well) is great.
CC is tricky due to mana, but regen and canni at 24 do the trick nicely. Gargoyles cant spawn fast enough for me now though. Need a new stomping ground

<Infernus> Oceanic Guild of Champions
Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Sarnak

Monk?
Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost182 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monk?
Equip a fungi and a decent weapon... then monks do fine solo.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Equip a fungi and a decent weapon... then monks do fine solo.
Yeah there is a lot more down time than you think, even a Iksar without a Fungi. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Mend on here to me seems longer between clicks than I remember, even on here a few years ago. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Sarnak

Well, cleric it isn't.
Closed Thread