Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 AM
Kobold

I played a bard on live, and I remember I never, ever had to pull in groups. Not sure why (p99 bards pull all the time), but I remember I did have to pull CT, every raid. It was my only job, and I remember hating the cleric!! I would beg him please don't let me die this time when I bring in CT! Little did I know he never really had a choice, due to CT's HT. I had no idea! Yet this cleric never said a word. But man, oh how I hated him! lol.

I do not think we were bad. We were so new to this vast game, the dynamics were so different- and now with the explosion of games, the mentality is get max lvl asap, get BIS, instead of exploring, learning along the way through trial and error etc.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSmug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Had groups that knew exactly what they were doing in 99, didnt make half the messes I see here in guktop/BB.
Generally speaking, BB on Green looks incredibly calm and organized compared to live in 2000 when I played there.

It was trains on trains on trains, nameds chain destroying noobs on the top level. There were noob gibs on the walls everywhere.

The commander room was a bloody mess. Noone knew what aggro was. Casters would overnuke and insta get aggro from mobs who killed them in 4-5 rounds.

People had no idea how to CR through the floor either.

Fun times though. It was amazing.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:03 AM
Banned

In this humble Erudites opinion, and speaking only from experience i have only been on odus(fantastic people, great place, absolutely fantastic, the palace is great, really really great) and antonica. From my experience most Antonicans still suck. My lord the dungeons .
Old 11-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Sarnak

I think people weren't all that bad back in ye olde days. You should not forget that EQ punishes death like no other, so the first thing everyone learns is to not die. This pushed a whole lot of people to stick to outdoor zones, where they'd always keep control over the situation, but plenty of people went on to learn the dungeons and mastered them with the available knowledge of the time.

What does surprise me is how bad so many people on P99 are at the game. I happily share knowledge and tips with the people I group with, but dear Prexus, there are plenty of people who are even beyond the Ocean Lord's grasp. I guess P99 has streamlined the 1 to 60 experience to such a degree that gear has become a crutch and the Usual Suspect zones have made game knowledge optional.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Fire Giant

I think on live people were punching above their weight more often. I remember mostly pulling yellows and reds not groups of blues.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I enjoyed the days everyone was new. I started as a Warrior and remember being told to go pull... I'd either never make it back or return with a glorious train wiping the group. My friend and I had an awesome Monk and Warrior duo... yeah, that was painful duo. We spent more time on corpse runs than anything else I think.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSmug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Had groups that knew exactly what they were doing in 99, didnt make half the messes I see here in guktop/BB.
Exactly. People are more ruthless now. With the mentality of, i can just train it if it goes bad. People also now... "i'll train the room to the zone while my group kills the named.. and every poor soul in between can deal with the adds."
Old 11-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Kobold

Being young and dumb mostly.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:54 PM
Orc

I think having access to wikis is one of the biggest contributors to how people playing P99 differently from original EQ. The first time I started in EQ and finally got my dwarf out of Kaladim, I had no choice but to explore Butcherblock and figure things. Now, even if you aren't an expert of every zone (which most P99 players are), you can instantly pull up a map of the zone with every detail provided. I think a lot of P99 players also spend a fair amount of time outside of game planning what they are going to do to get the best weapon, armor, xp, or at least maximize the result of their in-game time.

EQ used to be more like D&D, now it's more like WoW.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People would pretty much only fight at zone lines and the thought of a corpse run was a dangerous, complicated thing.
Da fook you talking about? This was so not the case EVER EVER. What kinda care bear server were you playing on
Closed Thread