Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers_ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the well wishes, I probably shouldn't have edited that out, my mistake. Anyhow, lets reason this out.
No worries. I'm willing to hug it out. <3

As stated, once you drop it, the item is discarded willfully from your inventory. If this were about morality and ethics, I would agree wholeheartedly.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekephee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could always stand there for 5 minutes knowing that if someone was transferring it, unless they are grossly misinformed about how transferring works they will be logging on a character in that exact spot within a few moments
How long would you stand there? What if their ISP disconnected or they had a family emergency come up?

Or is it morally safe to assume after 5 minutes the items would have poofed anyways and they can just lose out on them?

Also - the best way to drop transfer is drop it at 5 seconds left to camp, then you require a max of about 10 seconds to get back in and loot the items (if you have see invis as you camp, its unlikely someone could come from out of your visual range to where your items were in under 15 seconds unless they were cheating).
Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Globox- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No worries. I'm willing to hug it out. <3

As stated, once you drop it, the item is discarded willfully from your inventory. If this were about morality and ethics, I would agree wholeheartedly.
Cool, ok then we do agree. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Yeah, no doubt. Strictly from a rules perspective there is nothing they can do about it, which was why I was saying I would have been better off handing it to a random level 1 character. I'm just calling him a thief from a moral standpoint. I don't think ninjalooting is technically illegal either, but we all know how much they suck. Hopefully he does the right thing though and just gives it back. I would rather just move on. I don't like drama. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Numbers_; 04-07-2014 at 04:01 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers_ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the well wishes, I probably shouldn't have edited that out, my mistake. Anyhow, lets reason this out. First we'll define stealing since this has turned into a semantics argument:

"To take (the property of another) without right or permission."

What is the difference between handing someone my gear, with the expectation of getting it back and dropping it on the ground (in a obscure, secluded area, mind you) with the expectation of getting it back? Shouldn't it be my property still in both cases from a common sense perspective? Is my intention not the same in both instances?
I agree with you in the fact that taking your stuff was wrong, assuming this person was following you with the intent of taking items after you dropped them. However, technically, he didn't "steal" the items because you willingly left them out in an open area. If you compare that to RL, that is like if you went to the park, dropped $100 on the ground with the intent of coming back in say 5 minutes to pick it up. If someone should happen upon that $100 dollars and take it, do you blame them or yourself for leaving $100 on the ground?

Stealing is when someone takes something from you that you have personal possession of. Such as taking something from your house. Your house is your personal property and thus everything in it is your property so they would be "Stealing." It was more like you, metaphorically speaking, took the stuff out of your house, set the stuff out in the grass at a public park, and then got mad when the stuff was later gone.

Anyways all that said, I don't agree with what he did especially if he was following you with the intent of getting free items. However, it was your choice to drop stuff. Sorry you lost that stuff man and I hope you get it back. I do drops transfers all the time (here and back on Live) and have never lost an item, just gotta find the lowest foot traffic areas possible and make a check around you for other players before dropping.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree with you in the fact that taking your stuff was wrong, assuming this person was following you with the intent of taking items after you dropped them. However, technically, he didn't "steal" the items because you willingly left them out in an open area. If you compare that to RL, that is like if you went to the park, dropped $100 on the ground with the intent of coming back in say 5 minutes to pick it up. If someone should happen upon that $100 dollars and take it, do you blame them or yourself for leaving $100 on the ground?

Stealing is when someone takes something from you that you have personal possession of. Such as taking something from your house. Your house is your personal property and thus everything in it is your property so they would be "Stealing." It was more like you, metaphorically speaking, took the stuff out of your house, set the stuff out in the grass at a public park, and then got mad when the stuff was later gone.

Anyways all that said, I don't agree with what he did especially if he was following you with the intent of getting free items. However, it was your choice to drop stuff. Sorry you lost that stuff man and I hope you get it back. I do drops transfers all the time (here and back on Live) and have never lost an item, just gotta find the lowest foot traffic areas possible and make a check around you for other players before dropping.
Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I think the difference here is that he saw me drop it. He had to have been right on my heels, which does make it stealing from a moral perspective. I agree that if you found money on the ground that would not be stealing. However, if you saw someone drop it it sure would be (from a moral standpoint, not sure what the law says, but lying isn't against the law either). There isn't really any real life equivalent to having to transfer items to yourself by dropping them on the ground, so the alternate version of yourself can pick it up [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyway, I learned my lesson. Next time I'll use someone like Bongs or a Divinity member (which was graciously offered to me in this thread) to transfer my stuff.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Banned

I will transfer your stuff, meet me in Qeynos sewers in 20 minutes.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I think the difference here is that he saw me drop it. He had to have been right on my heels, which does make it stealing from a moral perspective. I agree that if you found money on the ground that would not be stealing. However, if you saw someone drop it it sure would be (from a moral standpoint, not sure what the law says, but lying isn't against the law either). There isn't really any real life equivalent to having to transfer items to yourself by dropping them on the ground, so the alternate version of yourself can pick it up [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyway, I learned my lesson. Next time I'll use someone like Bongs or a Divinity member (which was graciously offered to me in this thread) to transfer my stuff.
Yeah I get it, that's why I don't agree with what he did either. If I was a higher level I'd help ya out with some pp, but unfortunately I level at an incredibly casual pace nowadays. Good lucks with your items [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoNipple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will transfer your stuff, meet me in Qeynos sewers in 20 minutes.
Seems legit. Would trust.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I get it, that's why I don't agree with what he did either. If I was a higher level I'd help ya out with some pp, but unfortunately I level at an incredibly casual pace nowadays. Good lucks with your items [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks, if I see you around i'll toss ya a clarity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Sarnak

OP did you get your stuff back?
Closed Thread