Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 AM
Kobold

I really don't think it's about offending people. It's about establishing that people who need accommodations or people who have disabilities are people, and using those words creates an overall sentiment that they are less than people. That they don't deserve the basic respect that every human deserves. It's dehumanizing. These people already have a hard time, they don't need a bunch of people thinking they're less than human, opening the door for discrimination.

words have power. Lift people up. Don't tear them down.
Last edited by bluntfang; 05-21-2020 at 09:42 AM..
Old 05-21-2020, 09:50 AM
Sarnak

/list for AC camp is a terrible idea. No one wants to sit at position 3+ of any list and have to pay much attention for something that they are not likely going to have a shot at for hours. Just let them queue up and if they are there and alert when it's their turn on the player-honored list then all is good, otherwise they get removed and life goes on.

Also, just buy sow pots.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually yeah. Calling someone stupid isn't saying "you're the same as a person with a mental disability, and it's bad to be a person with a mental disability" ... because there are plenty of non-disabled stupid people [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Thus, "stupid" is preferable.

You can look at it like "the thought police are coming to take my words away!" ... or you can look at it like "some people have mental disabilities; do I really need to risk making one of those people's life worse, if they hear/read me using that word?"
I can't see their posts normally because I have them on ignore. And the posts you quoted reminded me why that is. That is the weirdest take I've ever seen and extremely odd to see someone dig their heels in over why they can call someone retarded instead of being like oh my bad...
Old 05-21-2020, 10:12 AM
Banned

/em takes a big SiP from a 10-dose SoW potion
Old 05-21-2020, 10:41 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't see their posts normally because I have them on ignore. And the posts you quoted reminded me why that is. That is the weirdest take I've ever seen and extremely odd to see someone dig their heels in over why they can call someone retarded instead of being like oh my bad...
I really think the community moderators need to consider taking a stronger hand on behavior like this outside of the RnF forum.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_demonman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/list for AC camp is a terrible idea. No one wants to sit at position 3+ of any list and have to pay much attention for something that they are not likely going to have a shot at for hours.
TLDR; We can't add more rings to the game, so we're just talking about the least worst way to share something lots of people want. Out of all possible systems, I think a "/list for a random chance for the mob" is the best/most in keeping with the spirit of EQ.

Here's the core thing: the staff isn't adding more Ancient Cyclops to the game. No matter what, if there are 3+ people who want the ring ATM, in any system you are going to have to "compete" with those people for the ring.

In a clickfest system you "compete" by racing to click faster than the other guy (who may or may not be using banned, but hard to catch "autofire" software). In PvP you fight over the AC. Neither of those options are very popular among players.

That leaves two options: make up something arbitrary and not EQ to "compete" with (eg. everyone starts playing /gems when the AC spawns, and the last person to lose gets the AC), or you have to have some sort of "waiting in line" approach. That could mean waiting in line forever at the mob, or "player agreement roll style", where you have to "wait in line" by continually showing up to each spawning of the mob, and hoping to win a random roll.

Traditionally the staff has been liked non-EQ games, at least for solving a similar "competition problems" among raiders (see "CotH races" and other "FTE races"). But with Green they tried instead to combine the two approaches. /list was a waiting list, but it also included a non-EQ "competition game" (whoever can't click a box every 15 minutes loses).

I think "/list 2.0" could do even better [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Either it could be what you suggest (ie. pure wait in line, essentially just an automated version of the current player system):

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_demonman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just let them queue up and if they are there and alert when it's their turn on the player-honored list then all is good, otherwise they get removed and life goes on.
Or, it could be player agreement roll style (ie. you "/list" to wait for a random chance to kill the mob when it pops). I think either would be superior to "/list 1.0", but the problem with "pure list" is that it will likely lead to giant backlogs. With no AFK checks, everyone will park their toons at AC and let them sit their a week until their turn comes up (and since so many people want the item, and you just have to sit there for it, the line will quickly get that long, or longer).

I lean towards thinking the player agreement roll system ... a system so popular the player community agreed to it by consensus (ie. everyone agreed on it ... something which never happens here) ... is really the model they should follow for /list 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be fair, they actually admitted fault and agreed to try and do better in a post that came after (which you also can't see).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-21-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Banned

I bet you feel pretty silly right now.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

I ignore myself a lot too to be fair.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Click here to add magnetaress to your ignore list.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the link. First time I use this feature on any internet forum!
Closed Thread