Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Trading Hub

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 10:17 PM
Fire Giant

Default Something wrong with the wiki?!

Twice this week after I auctioned my Paladin Ro armor for sale. I'll get message from people asking if I'd take a price that equaled half of what I was asking and telling me I've sold it for that on the wiki before!

When I look at the wiki, it does indeed show items I have been selling at 1/2 of the price I auctioned at. I don't fluctuate prices on the Ro armor.

Notestradamus auctions WTS: Vambraces of Ro 799pp, Bracers of Ro 699pp

If you look on the wiki, for a few days it says I auctioned them at 400pp for the arms and 350pp for the bracers!

Either the wiki is having some weird problem with someone's data file (I do not upload) or someone is purposefully falsifying the data.

Any idea of a fix? I can't put it in the bug report since it isn't ran by the server.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:50 PM
Fire Giant

Perhaps the *99 screwed something up? I personally use https://unixgeek.com/last-week-P1999Green.html for my Auction tracker since its way more accurate than the wiki as far as reality of pricing. I'm not sure why it seems that way, never dug into it much. Your prices are accurate on that tracker instead of the wiki though: https://unixgeek.com/prices-P1999Gre...racesofRo.html
Old 06-12-2020, 11:03 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks Zane, someone logged in and told me that people can easily manipulate the data they upload to the wiki so it sounds like someone is cutting my prices in 1/2 on purpose to lower the average.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:41 PM
Fire Giant

Zane, I checked out the site you linked. It is cool and more accurate although it lists my WTB auctions in there with the WTS prices. Example: I auction all the time WTB Kilij Plans 175pp
Old 06-13-2020, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Ultimately the wiki depends on trust. Players upload log files, which are just text, and technically anyone can alter the log files. The tricky part is detecting who did it.

The only record (that I know of) for who contributed auction data is: https://wiki.project1999.com/Special:AuctionTracker. So if you can track an item, and see "hey yesterday it didn't have a fake entry from me, and today it does", and there's only been one person who has added to price info ... I could ban that person.

But, the problem is, no one has to enter their name (and if they did, they could just lie). What we really need is to do is A) only let logged-in users submit data, and B) track which price entry came from which wiki user (vs. the current self-reported user). With those changes I could very easily recognize false entries, see who is responsible, and ban them.

But here's the rough part: the whole auction system was written, in PHP, by Rahvin ... who doesn't play anymore. You could PM and ask him, or maybe try and bribe him ... but if it were me I wouldn't want to waste a lot of time programming a wiki feature for a game I don't play.

So really what it amounts to is that unless anyone who codes in PHP wants to help fix this, it is what it is [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] If you can point me to specific items with specific "clearly out of bounds" auction entries, I can delete them ... but that's the limit of what I can do right now.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Please delete/move this thread.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:38 PM
Orc

Is the code for the parser that turns uploaded log files into item/price pairs public? I poked around and couldn't find anything.

Another possibility is that your auction lines got incorrectly parsed. It's pretty tricky to 100% accurately parse auction lines, given all the different variations that people use when selling things. I looked a little bit through the auction lines of yours that I found in my logs and I saw it was maybe possible that lines of yours like "[item] Xpp or 2 for Ypp" got parsed as you selling 2 of [item] for Xpp (making the listed price X/2), but that's mostly just a guess without full logs and without access to the source.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmazur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is the code for the parser that turns uploaded log files into item/price pairs public? I poked around and couldn't find anything.

Another possibility is that your auction lines got incorrectly parsed. It's pretty tricky to 100% accurately parse auction lines, given all the different variations that people use when selling things. I looked a little bit through the auction lines of yours that I found in my logs and I saw it was maybe possible that lines of yours like "[item] Xpp or 2 for Ypp" got parsed as you selling 2 of [item] for Xpp (making the listed price X/2), but that's mostly just a guess without full logs and without access to the source.
yep the solution is to open source it. i would contribute/rewrite.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

It's open source, and the source is available from: Ravhin's Item/Mob/Spell/Faction/Quest Page Utilities

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread