Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still wrong. We know what servers cost. Doesn't matter what one person pays.
I don’t know why you feel so badly that you don’t know what he pays. It’s not embarrassing or anything to not know. We can all acknowledge that he hasn’t told any of us. You’re not missing out on anything don’t worry.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every few months this topic comes up, and nobody ever remembers:

Rogean doesn't just own P99, he owns EQEMU. He makes money off of ALL the servers by donations to EQEMU, and P99 donations.

Rogean isn't just P99, Rogean is ALL OF THE EMULATORS except for TAKP which does not use EQEMU. (TAKP really isn't an emulator, its the actual legit Mac client, and therefore the most accurate.)

chances are he had connections to verant/soe back in the day, i mean who would really let some strange random person use their IP for free?

Why was P99 allowed to continue, when the eqclassic.org project (which started years before P99), was nailed with cease and desist orders from SOE?

Think people, THINK.
With respect to your point about eqclassic.org what year was that? I could see a couple possible reasons. For one, if it was years before P99 launched that could have been during the time when EQ wasn’t really a completely dead game on live; so SOE had a real motivation to control the IP in that way. Once Daybreak started running TLPs they may have viewed P99 as a bit of a marketing tool for them; people see P99 and either start looking at what other “progression” type EQ servers are out there or otherwise decide they don’t like full on classic but they want some of that experience so they go pay for TLP…P99 has never really approached the kind of player base that would have made Daybreak concerned about competition so better to just use it as a marketing tool in a way.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With respect to your point about eqclassic.org what year was that? I could see a couple possible reasons. For one, if it was years before P99 launched that could have been during the time when EQ wasn’t really a completely dead game on live; so SOE had a real motivation to control the IP in that way. Once Daybreak started running TLPs they may have viewed P99 as a bit of a marketing tool for them; people see P99 and either start looking at what other “progression” type EQ servers are out there or otherwise decide they don’t like full on classic but they want some of that experience so they go pay for TLP…P99 has never really approached the kind of player base that would have made Daybreak concerned about competition so better to just use it as a marketing tool in a way.
we were alpha testing for eqclassic.org in like '07 or '08ish. Nilbog might remember the dates better, he was a dev there too.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

consider blue
Old 01-27-2022, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
consider blue
Old 01-27-2022, 11:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t know why you feel so badly that you don’t know what he pays. It’s not embarrassing or anything to not know. We can all acknowledge that he hasn’t told any of us. You’re not missing out on anything don’t worry.
Bro, I know what the dude paid to have his passport get processed and he hasn't even told me. I am just a genius like that.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

UPDATE:

I now know what Rogean pays to send a first class envelope in the US.

Just call me Columbo.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
With respect to your point about eqclassic.org what year was that?
You're on the right track. P99 received C&D letters early on as well. Either of them (and EQ-emulator in general) survived for a long time mostly because Sony wasn't interested enough in heavily pursuing action (contrast that to, say, Blizzard). P99 didn't get its official sanction until 2015 by which time EQ had changed overall ownership. By then EQC was yesterday's news, and it has never launched at all, much less built any sort of stable well-known community. Simply put, P99 got the notice and sanction it did because it's the (relative) big player on the classic scene.

Danth
Old 01-30-2022, 11:46 PM
Kobold

is there any point on playing green or blue if a new server is coming out in a year?
Old 02-01-2022, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shac [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
is there any point on playing green or blue if a new server is coming out in a year?
if you really want to get theoretical...there is zero point in playing p99 at all