Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 04:43 AM
Fire Giant

Raiding on this server just seems like a hopeless endeavor. If you're not lucky enough to be in the top guild of the server, you're basically at their mercy. The few raid targets that you might be allowed to have by the whims of the top guild are fought over fiercely by all the other guilds, and constantly losing the ability to even try a fight and win a piece of loot is just incredibly demoralizing.

I understand that most folks here seem to like that system, but as someone who just isn't that competitive, and just wants to experience some endgame zones, what chance does someone like me have? What place does that type of person even have on this server? These days all I seem to be allowed to do is serve as a taxi to the "real players" of the server, and what sort of future does that have?
Last edited by tadkins; 01-17-2022 at 04:47 AM..
Old 01-17-2022, 05:47 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Again thx for all the replies! Seems like we will be trying out Dusk Till Dawn as it seems like a great start for us as it's an EU guild and got a pm that they would like to have us. <3 But as some have said I do understand how EQ raiding works it's like making all wow bosses to world bosses and I do know the shit show in wow trying to kill the few world bosses wow have and especially on pvp servers having the opposite faction trying to kill you and if not you have your own faction trying too grief you in to wiping, so they can get the kill instead. However, I do know there are a lot of rules when it comes to raiding in P99 and tagging and all, but not sure exactly how it works. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-17-2022, 01:30 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Raiding on this server just seems like a hopeless endeavor. If you're not lucky enough to be in the top guild of the server, you're basically at their mercy. The few raid targets that you might be allowed to have by the whims of the top guild are fought over fiercely by all the other guilds, and constantly losing the ability to even try a fight and win a piece of loot is just incredibly demoralizing.

I understand that most folks here seem to like that system, but as someone who just isn't that competitive, and just wants to experience some endgame zones, what chance does someone like me have? What place does that type of person even have on this server? These days all I seem to be allowed to do is serve as a taxi to the "real players" of the server, and what sort of future does that have?
This is literally why instancing was invented. Your problems are solved on TLP and in WOW.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I understand your frustration. However, it's also demoralizing to get a piece of raid loot and not really feel much sense of accomplishment because it was essentially dispensed to you by a raid loot welfare system (instancing). Classic EQ is all about high highs and low lows. Might not be for everyone, but it's why I always come back to it and lose interest in every modern mmo.

And I'm not a hardcore raider. I can pull my weight in one of the mid-tier semi casual raiding guilds (those who get the scraps) but I've kind of just accepted the fact there is certain content I'll never see, and that's okay with me. It sort of preserves some of the original mystique of the game. 20 years and I've still never been to sleeper's, oh well. Maybe some day.
Last edited by Ooloo; 01-17-2022 at 01:56 PM..
Old 01-17-2022, 01:59 PM
Banned

I also just made the disturbing realization that p99 is older than Everquest itself was when p99 first launched. Yikes.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:35 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also just made the disturbing realization that p99 is older than Everquest itself was when p99 first launched. Yikes.
mindblow-mind-explosion.jpg
Old 01-17-2022, 05:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand your frustration. However, it's also demoralizing to get a piece of raid loot and not really feel much sense of accomplishment because it was essentially dispensed to you by a raid loot welfare system (instancing). Classic EQ is all about high highs and low lows. Might not be for everyone, but it's why I always come back to it and lose interest in every modern mmo.

And I'm not a hardcore raider. I can pull my weight in one of the mid-tier semi casual raiding guilds (those who get the scraps) but I've kind of just accepted the fact there is certain content I'll never see, and that's okay with me. It sort of preserves some of the original mystique of the game. 20 years and I've still never been to sleeper's, oh well. Maybe some day.
As someone who's always found it difficult to find inclusion in these games, I never saw instancing as an entirely bad thing. I really dislike confrontation and will typically move away from any area that has a player in it out of fear that they might say something.

Been in a couple guilds on this server, none of them were really willing to talk or help with anything.

I'd love to see more of this game, to find a good group of folks to enjoy it with. Would love to see Sleepers one day, but at the moment I struggle to see anything higher level than Unrest.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Your goal right now should be leveling.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:39 PM
Fire Giant

Doing just that right now...on Mage attempt probably #12 at this point. Already getting the creeping thoughts about how tough it's going to be later with the epic and everything, and finding a spot in a guild because mage is decently populated class along the level of enc, nec and dru.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:32 PM
Fire Giant

Play what you want. Get it to 60. That's the commitment a raid guild needs, doesn't matter the class. Can you get there? You don't have to play 24/7 to be a good raider, but you do need to accomplish having a decently geared 60 that can contribute. People in my guild get great loot all the time with raid attendance between 15-40%