Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Newbie Iksar SK

Hey,

Last week I started my first character on p99 blue, Rhazil the Iksar Shadow Knight. I was curious if anyone had any advice other than reroll Troll or Ogre or Erudite lol. I am currently level 7 and have ran into some really nice people who, without asking, have given me a few items, plat, and some really nice buffs! This community is really awesome.

I am looking for any advice or links on how to play an SK well, and some general tips on good hunting grounds, what items or quests to look into to help keep my gear decent even though I am new and my funds are low. I have read the few sk articles on p99 wiki. Not sure how much, if anything, has changed since Velious release.

I do have one actual question other than general advice: Should I get a bow or just rely on spells to pull when i get those at level 9?

Thanks for all advice ahead of time!
Old 02-07-2018, 12:04 AM
Planar Protector

Hiya! Bows are useful if you need to bow kite. A decent bow can actually do fair damage, and some SKs have even used bowkiting as a strategy to kill mobs. With the mob snared, it works.

That being said, most SKs use spells to pull, the disease dot is quick casting and generates a lot of aggro.

Don't be one of those SKs that pulls with snare creating pulls that are literally crawling to the group! Annoying rangers do this too btw. Also snare mobs before they run off. Common sense I know, but some SKs don't snare mobs. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:17 AM
Planar Protector

Also as lhancelot, snare your mob if no one else does... But keep using the first darkness if you have no clarity, the second otherwise... The next ones cost just too much mana on exp group and should be used for fear kite mostly...
Old 02-07-2018, 04:28 AM
Sarnak

You chose well, some people will argue the races but Iksar is either 1st or second in most peoples books trading places with ogre depending on situation. be prepared for the grind from 30 - 49 the pet drps off dramaticly during this time but gets much better at 53.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

Pull with siphon strength, it costs next to no mana, casts fast, and doesn't leave a damage over time spell on something in case it needs to be mesmerized. Archery for hybrids caps at a very low skill level. It can be used some at low to mid levels, but past that point it'll miss so often you won't be able to carry enough arrows on your person to make a whole lot of use out of it. My bow only rarely makes it out of the bank; mostly I stick with dedicated range-slot items. Hard to go wrong with an idol of the thorned in the range slot while using spells for pulling.

At low levels there isn't much finesse to playing the Shadow Knight. Disease Cloud at level 9 and Clinging Darkness at 15 are your primary spells for keeping things attacking you when grouped. Shadow Vortex (for damage-free threat generation) at 39 is a long ways off. The characteristic Shadow Knight spells, invisibility (Gather Shadows) and Feign Death, are both acquired at 30 and hence also a ways off. You can buy a cheap, post-nerf Circlet of Shadows for a couple hundred platinum and click it at level 20 so you can have invisibility 10 levels sooner than you otherwise would. If you take awhile leveling and aren't receiving power-leveling, that can be money well spent.

Iksars have some limitations with respect to equipment during the leveling phase. You can't wear Darkforge or Blood Ember or or Crustacean or some other common mid level equipment types. Mix and match it as best you can. HP/AC rings are always a good bet, cost effective for their price.

Don't worry much about high levels yet. Levels come only slowly on P99-Blue and 50+ is a ways off. A lot of players never make it. Stay focused on where you're at and try to keep things fun.

Danth
Old 02-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Kobold

The CoS post nerf is a solid suggestion. I would also look into getting a decent 2hander. A cheap one can be found for like 50-100pp, probably less if you ask the seller to drop their price. I know when I'm selling items around this price I am generally looking to beat the vendor price and am happy to see a newer player get use out of an item.

As for places to level here would be my recommendations. It is the same path my monk iksar did solo as well. However he was fairly twinked (SoS/Jade mace SCHW), however you will likely be a bit harder. So kills may not happen as fast but will be able to survive just fine.

*1-9 FoB (Field of Bone): Stay here till you can consistently kill the Scalebone skeletons.

*9-20 Kurns Tower: This. This is where exp really takes off. Has a HUGE zone exp modifier and basically everything is undead. I would recommend avoiding killing the moles so you can camp some of the named skellys in the basement w/o caster hell from the moles. Also as a side note, many twinks level here and let the armor that drop here rot on corpses. An ooc shout now and again can net you a decent set of armor.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Burynai_Hide_Armor / https://wiki.project1999.com/Ruined_Scaled_Armor

*21-30ish Oasis of Marr: I enjoyed doing this camp. The caimans/crocs are non social so you can pull easily and solo them. You also get pretty consistent drive-by buff by higher levels on the docks.

*30-40ish South Karana: KFC, its old world mobs so they are pretty easy to crush. There is also a vendor that sells to iksar at the top of the bird nest and they are not KoS nor will they be KoS after the bird murder.

*40-52ish Crystal Caverns: This was probably my second favorite exp grind spot. Low 40's you want to stick to the velium crawlers in the water and the spiders in the center tunnel. One you his mid 40's you can move into taking on the geos. this will be an exp and cash camp that can take you all the way to 54 if you not in a hurry to hit 60. The gems off the named geos here vendor for 19-194pp (ive had days where I was lucky and netted like 3 grand in 2 hours). The dorf town has a bank you will have immediate access to may have to look into faction dance to be able to sell there. Or have someone sell for you for a fee.

*52-?? Waking lands Faerie drag / goo tunnels: This is where I am currently grinding it out. goos/faerie dragons drop some decent vendor loot (think sea fury clopses) at a lower frequency. Also the dragons will drop a great variety of armor quest gems. probably gonna camp this out till 56 or so then lord knows where I am off too.

Now I prefer to solo it out cause it means I have zero obligation of causing a group to collapse if a raid gets called or I want to run to town and trade skill for a hot min. However many of these zones offer grouping / duoing opportunities that you can take advantage of otherwise.

keep in mind this was my adventure that I went on and there are tons of other options should this not sound like the path you want to do on. Either way best of luck and most of all have fun!
Old 02-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyJustin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am looking for any advice or links on how to play an SK well, and some general tips on good hunting grounds, what items or quests to look into to help keep my gear decent even though I am new and my funds are low. I have read the few sk articles on p99 wiki. Not sure how much, if anything, has changed since Velious release.

I do have one actual question other than general advice: Should I get a bow or just rely on spells to pull when i get those at level 9?

Thanks for all advice ahead of time!

Bows are lame. Your spells are always better for pulling and if you are using low level spells then they cost next to no mana. You need to manage your mana for sure but its not to bad. As mentioned Disease Cloud and Shadow Vortex cause a lot of agro and should be used as 'taunts'.

Always be careful when casting your DoT, only cast it when you are sure you will be tanking that mob 100% because it screws CC up, Shadow Vortex is a better solution.

Always Shadow Vortex or hit actual taunt button before breaking CC so that when the mob breaks they come for you instead of the enchanter. This is kind of a feel thing but the good SKs always get agro before breaking a mez.

As far as gear to save up for, Circlet of Shadows is an insta click invis, its pretty awesome. The Blood Ember bracer has a 10s cast free invis on it that's pretty good also but its hard to beat the insta click, it is more useful than it sounds in actual game play.

Sword of Pain is a No Drop item out of Velkators lair that is not incredibly hard to get. once you get around level 50 a solid group can handle the lower dogs area where the Sword of pain drops. If you have a high level enchanter friend he can pretty much solo the camp for you. Chanter/Cleric is a definite.

The Blood Ember set (Kunark class armor) in general is pretty useful and has pretty good AC/Clickies. Its cheap as hell for everything but the chest/legs. I would recommend collecting the entire set sans chest/legs.

Pull tip: If you snare a mob and then feign death, the mob you have snared will be unable to return to its spawn point. When mobs return 'home' they walk, a snared mob is unable to walk. This is a useful exploit for 'breaking' a room. It takes a little practice but it extremely useful. Sk are the best in the game at splitting rooms IMO. It effectively allows you to isolate mobs that would otherwise be surrounded by friends.

Atrametous Shield (https://wiki.project1999.com/Atramentous_Shield) costs about 2k-2.5k and is a great value for the money. You should save for one of these.

Noctivagant Blade (https://wiki.project1999.com/Noctivagant_Blade) is a great weapon and can be bought for somewhere around 1k-1.5k

Deathbringer's Rod (http://wiki.project1999.com/index.ph...nger's_Rod) costs like 200pp and should be your first purchase IMO

Jboots are a must, you should save for these.

There are a lot of cool items to get as a SK but sme of them are $$$$$$. If this is your first character just keep chugging along and don't worry about getting the most uber gears. You have plenty you can save for but remember that levels are the most important thing you can possibly get.
Last edited by Spyder73; 02-07-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

Bows do let you sling an arrow, then run round a corner or out of spell range before the target (spell caster) has a chance to begin casting on you. That said, I do find a bow to be a bit of a waste of a slot on a tank; generally I'd rather have the runed bone fork or the frosty book thing from ToFS.

The snare trick is great, I often use it on my ranger (obviously I have to zone or camp out and relog instead of FD), but the fact that I am willing to double zone/log to use snare split shows how awesome it is.

One note though; if you use a low enough % snare, the mob will still very slowly walk back. You'll need to use your second tier of darkness or better for full effect.

You can get by with really crappy gear in groups, especially as an SK. A set of banded and your spells for aggro will get you to your 40s, at which point you can start looting better gear (the Jar sath stuff in Karnor's castle is fairly decent, it will carry you until you can start getting crystal chitin in Velks or Plane of Growth rots).
Old 02-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bows do let you sling an arrow, then run round a corner or out of spell range before the target (spell caster) has a chance to begin casting on you. That said, I do find a bow to be a bit of a waste of a slot on a tank; generally I'd rather have the runed bone fork or the frosty book thing from ToFS.
I strongly disagree with this mentality. While it is true that 90% of the time it is superior to have your RNGd slot with a Stat or Resist item, having a good bow and several stacks arrows can delineate a remarkable tank from an acceptable one. Tanking is all about having a variety of tools at your disposal and the presence of mind to use them. I know this is more relevant to the warrior class, but having "instant cast" "mana-free" pulls is really useful.

It's relatively easy to get a good bow. They rot very often (Bow of Huntsman, Spectral Bow). And with one of these, particularly Bow of Huntsman, you can do impressive DPS at early levels. (Ranged weapons do not have imposed damage caps even at low levels!!!!!)

Having a good bow and stack of arrows also makes the difference whenever you have to duel someone. Too many melee think that ranged weapons are useless until they've turned into a porcupine. When I duelled Guide Llandris, my bow destroyed him from afar and he had no means of dealing damage except for GM summons.

I ALWAYS keep a bow and arrows handy. Even if it's not used most of the time, when it is used, it makes a big impact.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I strongly disagree with this mentality. While it is true that 90% of the time it is superior to have your RNGd slot with a Stat or Resist item, having a good bow and several stacks arrows can delineate a remarkable tank from an acceptable one. Tanking is all about having a variety of tools at your disposal and the presence of mind to use them. I know this is more relevant to the warrior class, but having "instant cast" "mana-free" pulls is really useful.

It's relatively easy to get a good bow. They rot very often (Bow of Huntsman, Spectral Bow). And with one of these, particularly Bow of Huntsman, you can do impressive DPS at early levels. (Ranged weapons do not have imposed damage caps even at low levels!!!!!)

Having a good bow and stack of arrows also makes the difference whenever you have to duel someone. Too many melee think that ranged weapons are useless until they've turned into a porcupine. When I duelled Guide Llandris, my bow destroyed him from afar and he had no means of dealing damage except for GM summons.

I ALWAYS keep a bow and arrows handy. Even if it's not used most of the time, when it is used, it makes a big impact.
Skarlorn has explained why a good SK would at least have a bow at their disposal as well as an assortment of skills to use with said bow.

Sure, for typical situations you probably won't need a bow, but you never know when the time may arise when having a bow could prove useful.

I always like to have a bow on all my melee toons, because I find it fun shooting arrows when I pull. The bow is faster than spells, and looks cool firing and sounds neat too! It also saves mana.

I recall on my pally how a group marveled at my pulling prowess with a bow, even commenting on how they never seen a pally with a bow until I came along. This brought great pride to me!

Don't be a boring one dimensional SK, find yourself a bow and be all that you can be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Last edited by Lhancelot; 02-09-2018 at 01:05 AM..
Closed Thread