Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Fire Giant

Talking Experience Penalties FINAL

ok, i know that it has been talked about plenty of times, and yes this is classic so this is how classic is..the reason we play classic is because we dont want to go through all the mistakes the the everquest team made with expansions and ez mode etc. well plain and simple, the experience penalties were a mistake. i play a necro, so its not myself that i am crying for, its the paladins and the shadowknights that our server needs so badly. 40% is absurd. this is something a dug up while readin through the EQ mac forums

Experience Penalties - Resolutions

Over the past week the EverQuest team has been considering experience penalties in all their forms. We had many meetings where the issue was hotly debated from both sides. We had to consider not only the effect on the individualplayer, but also the effect of any changes on the game as a whole. Eventually, we nearly unanimously decided the following:

"
1. Race-based penalties are appropriate. An ogre, for instance, does indeed make a better warrior than a halfling. It is not so little that the faction and size problems make up for it, and not so much that it is really unbalancing at upper levels, but enough that the penalty should apply. Secondly, the penalty is not so severe (compared with class-based penalties) that it would cause groups to break up on the journey from one to sixty due to level differences.

2. Class-based penalties are not appropriate. Classes are roughly equivalent in power throughout the level ranges, and the versatility does not make up for that penalty. In fact, the majority of changes made to classes in the name of balance in the last year were based on the assumption that, at the high end, each class should still be roughly as needed and balanced as any other.

3. Penalties, in any form, should not be shared with the group. Players know that no one class is immensely more powerful/valuable than another, and as such it is not fair to ask them to share a burden. If classes with penalties were really more powerful or valuable than the other classes, then it might be right, but that isn't the case here. Furthermore, sharing of penalties causes people to reject potential group members on the basis of them "sucking" too much experience.

4. We're going to fix it.

5. Class-based experience bonuses (which warriors and rogues get) are also not appropriate, as they cannot be so if penalties are not. However, we've decided to leave this as-is, since the bonus is not so severe as to be unbalancing. Bottom line: we don't feel the bonus is enough to warrant a fix that could be interpreted as a 'nerf'.

(http://everquest.allakhazam.com/edit...rs_letter.html)

lets not wait til Velius comes out to fix this crap. lets do it now so the server can grow and become full of all the classes we need to prosper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

dont flame me, i just felt really compelled to speak (type) my mind
Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Planar Protector

People play the classes they want to anyways. You should have been around in the beginning when people REFUSED to play bards and Rangers.

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Banned

necros receive a -10% xp penalty just saying...

xp penalties were classic remove them add in all the kunark spells pls, lowbie rez, summon pet to caster etc...

bring back manastones and de masks so its more "fun" amirite

keep it classic leave in penalties
Old 03-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Fire Giant

Should have seen the weeks after release. I dont think anybody in the top 20 or 30 highest levels was anything other than an int caster or a druid/shaman except maybe one bard.

My mage was level 50, geared, then farmed/twinked out a shadowknight and had it around 30-35ish before the first sk main char hit 50
Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Finawin

Class-based penalties are stupid.

Watching a warrior level 5 times in my group before my paladin levels once is fucking stupid.

Race-based penalties I don't think anyone would have a problem with. There are tangible benefits to some races over others that warrant a penalty.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Kobold

Class penalties are pointless, that's why they were removed. There were very few aspects of classic that were better left out, but this was one of them.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finawin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Watching a warrior level 5 times in my group before my paladin levels once is fucking stupid.

Race-based penalties I don't think anyone would have a problem with. There are tangible benefits to some races over others that warrant a penalty.
this
Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Kobold

Yes the class penalties should be removed on this server. There is no "classic experience" reason to keep it in my opinion.

40% exp penalty for playing a buggy bard, no way.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Banned

From what I can tell, the development team has a plan for Project 1999. They have put considerably more thought into things than a knee-jerk reaction. Right now, a level 50 troll shadowknight instantly warrants more respect for his or her commitment than a halfling druid of the same level. If that distinction is lost on you, consider playing the hobbit.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finawin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As much as we are all for classic... knowing the server will never be 100% classic (maybe 99% ?) I think the class based exp penalties could slide into that 1% bracket and we could do without them without hurting the *classic experience* the quote above pretty much has me in agreement having witnessed the same scenerio.

Obviously kudos to those who have and did level through it big badge of honor for you. Really though it's something we could do without.
Closed Thread