Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 07-24-2023, 09:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You shouldn't have to do a clear to time the spawn. That means, that zone is useless now for normal players. The old system was minimally disruptive to the zone. And, as I said, if a server's guilds can't lay down some ground rules on QM behavior, then the problem is not the spawn.
"Disruptive to the zone" is a bit of a stretch. Most of the mobs on the PH cycle are "a lion/lioness" and various low level wolves, and nobody goes to SK to kill level 5-15 mobs as the zone is really more geared towards 25+. That said, Shelties, Cyclopes, Harriers, and rarely Treants are on the cycle but they are so roamy and sporadic that there are better places to find those mobs, such as KFC and the dedicated treant area.

And I understand the frustrations above with them changing the QM cycle in the middle of the server's operation, but that's not unlike many of the changes made as information surfaces that something is not classic. Phase Spiders were made to summon, which made PSC's go from 1k to like 2500 because bards can't easily swarm them now. Things like that. It's how the server has always operated.

I've been in Kingdom since Kunark, so well before the QM change, and while I didn't take an interest in cloaks until AFTER the change, I can say that based on guildchat we didn't do Peggy Cloak farming very often. When we did it wasn't to sell, either.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:21 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Disruptive to the zone" is a bit of a stretch. Most of the mobs on the PH cycle are "a lion/lioness" and various low level wolves, and nobody goes to SK to kill level 5-15 mobs as the zone is really more geared towards 25+. That said, Shelties, Cyclopes, Harriers, and rarely Treants are on the cycle but they are so roamy and sporadic that there are better places to find those mobs, such as KFC and the dedicated treant area.

And I understand the frustrations above with them changing the QM cycle in the middle of the server's operation, but that's not unlike many of the changes made as information surfaces that something is not classic. Phase Spiders were made to summon, which made PSC's go from 1k to like 2500 because bards can't easily swarm them now. Things like that. It's how the server has always operated.

I've been in Kingdom since Kunark, so well before the QM change, and while I didn't take an interest in cloaks until AFTER the change, I can say that based on guildchat we didn't do Peggy Cloak farming very often. When we did it wasn't to sell, either.
According to the wiki you should basically round up every single possible PH, nuke them all down then track the 78 sec timer. If that is not zone disruption I do not know what is. Especially since other names are all in that same group of low level PHs.

The other way was less disruptive but you had multiple guild farming it non stop for guildies, alts or selling loot rights for $4k. So now you have people clearing out the entire zone and selling loot rights for 10-15k and mages sitting at the biggest bottleneck in their epic journey.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
According to the wiki you should basically round up every single possible PH, nuke them all down then track the 78 sec timer. If that is not zone disruption I do not know what is. Especially since other names are all in that same group of low level PHs.

The other way was less disruptive but you had multiple guild farming it non stop for guildies, alts or selling loot rights for $4k. So now you have people clearing out the entire zone and selling loot rights for 10-15k and mages sitting at the biggest bottleneck in their epic journey.
You really just totally glazed right over his point that the PHs are almost all various low level wandering trash mobs that literally no one in SK are exping on. You're not like pulling all the Gnolls by Paw and all the aviaks at KFC and mass killing them. It's literally disruptive to nobody, much less the like 3 people who occasionally might exp in areas of SK.

Mass killing PHs disrupts nothing lol what are you talking about
Old 07-24-2023, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am sure some of that monthly charge went into maintenance, but they still needed to keep people hooked. The monthly charge evolved into microtransactions. Let's say Microtransactions were a thing back then (let's say starcraft had custom skins you could buy then and some other games had some sort of cosmetics you could buy) EQ would have been using that to charge you for EXP pots, mana regen pots, health regen pots etc.

They needed to make money and to do that they needed people to keep playing. If spawn timers on naggy were a day and not a week, and dropped every item on the table, people would gear up quicker and the carrot disappears. So they make shit super rare in order to get people to chase after the carrot. Now it might not have been 100% their intent, but I am sure part of it was to keep subs.
I already countered all your arguments in your other thread about this topic. None of that was done with monthly subscribers in mind - those types of decisions really didn't start happening until Luclin/late Velious. I don't think you even played EQ back in the day lol.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:

As a Quillmane farmer it DOESN'T benefit you to round up any of the nameds actually. If I see Synger Foxfire or Gnawfang on track I leave them alone, and in fact am GLAD to see them up. They are guaranteed to not pop Quillmane so that's one less mob to worry about.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:52 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You really just totally glazed right over his point that the PHs are almost all various low level wandering trash mobs that literally no one in SK are exping on. You're not like pulling all the Gnolls by Paw and all the aviaks at KFC and mass killing them. It's literally disruptive to nobody, much less the like 3 people who occasionally might exp in areas of SK.

Mass killing PHs disrupts nothing lol what are you talking about
These are all the possible PH's and percentages according to the wiki:

Cycle Spawn %

an elephant - 9
a lion - 16
a lioness - 12
a mist wolf - 3
a shadow wolf - 6
centaur archer - 2
centaur courser - 1
centaur sheltie - 3
aviak avocet - 2
aviak darter - 1
aviak harrier - 1
aviak rook - 1
an escaped Splitpaw gnoll - 12
a cyclops - 1
Quillmane - 7

At least three of these are killed by players. There is also another post saying that Treant and Centaur Chargers can also be a PH. I see lots of druids killing avocets across the zone. So yes, I would beleive if you followed the strategy to get QM to spawn it would be considered zone disruption.

SECOND STEP - find the PH

My method was to spend up to ten minutes trawling the zone for all of the mobs that might be the PH. From other threads and my brief experience, I believe they include:

an escaped splitpaw gnoll
a treant
a mist wolf
a shadow wolf
a lion
a lioness
an elephant
an aviak egret
an aviak avocet
a centaur sheltie
a centaur charger
a cyclops
an aviak harrier

Gather them in your wake, like a toddler's ride-on-train, until you have a good 15-20 mobs. I actually ignored treants in my first big pull, hoping to avoid faction hits.

If gathering up 20 of these mobs is not zone disruption I don't know what is
Old 07-24-2023, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
These are all the possible PH's and percentages according to the wiki:

Cycle Spawn %

an elephant - 9
a lion - 16
a lioness - 12
a mist wolf - 3
a shadow wolf - 6
centaur archer - 2
centaur courser - 1
centaur sheltie - 3
aviak avocet - 2
aviak darter - 1
aviak harrier - 1
aviak rook - 1
an escaped Splitpaw gnoll - 12
a cyclops - 1
Quillmane - 7

At least three of these are killed by players. There is also another post saying that Treant and Centaur Chargers can also be a PH. I see lots of druids killing avocets across the zone. So yes, I would beleive if you followed the strategy to get QM to spawn it would be considered zone disruption.

SECOND STEP - find the PH

My method was to spend up to ten minutes trawling the zone for all of the mobs that might be the PH. From other threads and my brief experience, I believe they include:

an escaped splitpaw gnoll
a treant
a mist wolf
a shadow wolf
a lion
a lioness
an elephant
an aviak egret
an aviak avocet
a centaur sheltie
a centaur charger
a cyclops
an aviak harrier

Gather them in your wake, like a toddler's ride-on-train, until you have a good 15-20 mobs. I actually ignored treants in my first big pull, hoping to avoid faction hits.

If gathering up 20 of these mobs is not zone disruption I don't know what is
Lmao bro no one is wandering around SK exping off these random mobs. In what alternate universe do you live in where low level players are running around the middle of SK trying to kill a random aviak egret or lioness? There's like 3 people EXPing in SK on average these days lol, and they're spread between static spawns at KFC, Treants, and Paw spires.

The Treant is a random spawn within the PHs, so it's not like people are running around the zone hoping that a random Treant will spawn and they can kill it for EXP. If you're doing Treants you're doing the two static spawns.

There is maybe one wandering Aviak I believe that comes close to KFC that is a PH. So someone exping at KFC MIGHT occasionally kill that if they happen to see it and it's a type of Aviak that gives them EXP.

Your argument that mass killing wandering low level trash mobs in a large open zone where no one exps being zone disruption is one of the dumbest I've seen on these forums in a long time.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
TSo yes, I would beleive if you followed the strategy to get QM to spawn it would be considered zone disruption.
Why doesn't the staff define it as such then?
Old 07-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Kobold

If the original devs had designed Quillmane spawn an expansion or two later it'd probably work more like velious spawns with an expanding window and a chance to skip and a random spawn location, except condensed to hours instead of days like lodi/kozz. No PH.

i think the intent was always just for the mob to rarely but randomly be up for people wandering the zone looking for him, not something you camp.

this experience can never be replicated on p99 because the server is too top heavy with infinite alts all chasing the same item at the same time.

and it would never happen with the original spawn mechanic because the convoluted ph system was clearly made with the expectation that random newbies would be routinely killing random trash in SK, which never happens. it didnt even happen on live that i remember except maybe early in vanilla (idk, didnt play that far back). the devs grossly misjudged what content would be utilized and how or didnt care if future expansions made it obsolete.

the new p99 quillmane is definitely more classic, but im glad all my alts have cloaks. the new farming method doesnt sound horrible though. gl cloak hunters
Old 07-24-2023, 12:04 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lmao bro no one is wandering around SK exping off these random mobs. In what alternate universe do you live in where low level players are running around the middle of SK trying to kill a random aviak egret or lioness? There's like 3 people EXPing in SK on average these days lol, and they're spread between static spawns at KFC, Treants, and Paw spires.

The Treant is a random spawn within the PHs, so it's not like people are running around the zone hoping that a random Treant will spawn and they can kill it for EXP. If you're doing Treants you're doing the two static spawns.

There is maybe one wandering Aviak I believe that comes close to KFC that is a PH. So someone exping at KFC MIGHT occasionally kill that if they happen to see it and it's a type of Aviak that gives them EXP.

Your argument that mass killing wandering low level trash mobs in a large open zone where no one exps being zone disruption is one of the dumbest I've seen on these forums in a long time.
Can you carry on a conversation without being a total dick? Just curious. You have your argument, I have mine. We are never going to convince each other otherwise.