Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-14-2022, 08:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I experiment with a lot of different builds. I recently did a dwarf war solo build and went all dex. I solod until lvl 57 and finally gave up and grouped until 60.

While the procs are nice, it’s hard to rely on dex. I think strength is the only melee stat that matters when leveling. It’s the most noticeable getting increased attack and better hits. Stamina is nice if your goal is to be a raid tank. While charisma is technically the min max, 99.9% of people never get to that point. If charisma really mattered that much, we’d be seeing a lot more wood elf/human/half elf wars
The reason to dump into Charisma is simply because the starting stats aren't going to make a huge difference, especially on a Troll. They have higher Strength and Stamina than the small races. It's their Charisma that is low.

The reason why you don't see as many wood elf/human/half elf warriors is because they don't get a great racial like Regeneration or FSI. Those are going to help you more when soloing than 25 points anywhere. They also have slam, which can be helpful against casters without needing to swap to a shield.

For OP Dexterity and Stamina are better, but again it won't really do much. Being a Troll with Regeneration is giving him way more bang for his buck.

Warriors are designed for raiding on P99, and you never know if you will change your mind about it later.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-14-2022 at 08:26 PM..
Old 08-15-2022, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would put money on charisma being largely irrelevant to over 95% of all warriors ever created on P1999. Yes, it has its place, as detailed above, but understand that place is VERY niche and applies only to the absolute highest-end characters, beyond where most players ever reach.
More like 99%

I would not ever recommend building your entire existence around divine intervention.

Given starting stats on troll I recommend pumping up dex.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-15-2022, 04:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I experiment with a lot of different builds. I recently did a dwarf war solo build and went all dex. I solod until lvl 57 and finally gave up and grouped until 60.

While the procs are nice, it’s hard to rely on dex. I think strength is the only melee stat that matters when leveling. It’s the most noticeable getting increased attack and better hits. Stamina is nice if your goal is to be a raid tank. While charisma is technically the min max, 99.9% of people never get to that point. If charisma really mattered that much, we’d be seeing a lot more wood elf/human/half elf wars
I'd agree with this. When I did my dwarf warrior solo-self found run to 43 or whatever I got him to, my biggest regret was not putting all points into strength.

For a fairly new player without access to a huge amount of gear, or someone like me who deliberately was starting with no money / no grouping / only using gear I killed/quested for/crafted myself, the strength objectively would've been the best choice.

In retrospect I also would've been a troll for it since it would've cut my kill time and heal times down considerably.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:25 AM
Fire Giant

Cha was only for ogres and trolls who have crazy str/sta already. Dex is kinda meh.

I choose dark elf, ofc I wouldn't put anything into cha, all mine went to sta and I'm only 100 base. Ogres and trolls start with way more than that and more str and same or more dex....only stat they are God awful at is cha which makes di chance better. Since they will cap sta easy and definitely cap str np at all.

But yes if I never planned on raiding on an ogre or troll I would put most points into sta then rest dex...since you likely won't cap sta in group gear with base of 118 or whatever troll has.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Either Dex or Sta imho. Charisma is extremely niche. Pre-Avatar, I find Dex annoying to cap and all the good gear incidentally has 10-15 Stamina on it, so I went 20 Dex 5 Sta. No Regrets.
Coming from a troll war with full tov/vp/st gears, I agree to the above.

I put all into dex and I don't regret. But if you don't think you are getting full raid gears, then 20 dex 5 sta, 15 dex 10 sta are both good options. Even WITHOUT full raid gears (such as before when i was wearing full SS armor along with best non-raid items like cloak of flame/matchless shoulder/turtle belt/eyepatch plunder/living thunder ear) I still couldn't cap sta.

Ignore the put all into cha comment - that only applies to full bis which will take you years to acquire.
Last edited by wagorf; 08-18-2022 at 07:32 AM..
Old 08-18-2022, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ignore the put all into cha comment - that only applies to full bis which will take you years to acquire.
You can cap STR/STA/DEX well before BiS raid gear with buffs. It will just depend on how much you like to group. A level 60 Shaman can buff your STR and DEX by 120 each, and STA by 50.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

That is true, but it uses a lot of buff slots, and some shaman get grizzly(!) if you ask for double str/dex.

It’s nice to have decent strength when double str focus isn’t available too.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 08-18-2022, 10:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is true, but it uses a lot of buff slots, and some shaman get grizzly(!) if you ask for double str/dex.

It’s nice to have decent strength when double str focus isn’t available too.
STR is easy to get on gear. My Gnome warrior has +80 STR just from normal Velious era EC gear. You can get another 45 from Cobalt Gauntlet/Boot buffs when you don't have STR buffs available. For a troll having +125 STR self buffed is basically capped.

It's only 4 buff slots for FoS, STR, DEX, and STA. In a group you probably aren't maxing out buff slots on a Warrior. Shamans generally are fine with giving all the buffs, they just get annoyed if you don't mention STR or DEX until after they FoS you hehe.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

Reckless strength is a decaying buff and I don’t remember it stacking. Is there a trick? Short duration too. May not even last a single sonic bat!

You’re projecting. Many shaman are unaware of, or simply refuse, to double buff. It’s not a case of carelessly asking after the fact.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 08-18-2022 at 10:31 AM..
Old 08-18-2022, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reckless strength is a decaying buff and I don’t remember it stacking. Is there a trick? Short duration too. May not even last a single sonic bat!

You’re projecting. Many shaman are unaware of, or simply refuse, to double buff. It’s not a case of carelessly asking after the fact.
Then those are bad Shamams. I've never denied people myself, or seen a Shaman deny someone.

The decaying buff stacks, it's like Yaulp. You can click it again to refresh it if needed. Its only 20 STR, so if you don't want to use it you still have 105STR from my example.