Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-28-2023, 06:15 PM
Banned

Servers that aren't p99 aren't really in competition with p99 unless you're talking about another vanilla-velious server.

The vast majority of people who play here want to specifically play vanilla-velious content, and not luclin\pop content.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The vast majority of people who play here want to specifically play vanilla-velious content, and not luclin\pop content.
I don't think that's true. Of course, that's just my opinion, and you'd need a poll to get an objective answer, but I strongly suspect the majority are here not because of the expansion limits, but because P99 is the best emulated EQ server.

No other server offers single-boxing, and our population levels, and our quality GM staff, and our anti-cheat code, and our (relatively) bug-free game code, and our wiki, and ... in short, no one else offers the high quality EQ experience that P99 does.

If you did make a poll, I truly think "overall high quality" would win out massively over "Velious-limited". And in fact other polls that have been conducted, like this one, suggest as much: even back in 2011 there was more support for "Luclin"/"Other" (combined) than there was for "Velious".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Servers that aren't p99 aren't really in competition with p99 unless you're talking about another vanilla-velious server.

I agree the competition isn't really there yet. That could change is what I'm getting at. The tools exist to actually compete and some jump starts are going to give it ago. P99 seems light years ahead with regard to CSR and that is actually the biggest difference I find between it and other servers besides TAKP.

To your second point, my feeling in connecting with many players over the years on Green is that the Velious end point isn't as charming or interesting as it was back when P99 began in '08 and '09.

After years and years of Blue and Green many have had their fill of Velious. Many still love it of course. Others are ready for something new. Everquest kept evolving so we'll see if p99 continues to evolve.

Green is most popular server currently no doubt about that.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
in short, no one else offers the high quality EQ experience that P99 does
I find TAKP offers a consistent high quality EQ experience. My hope is PQ will do so as well. Having three amazing servers would be better than only having to be stuck with p99 or TAKP alone. Any kind of success PQ experiences would probably have a positive impact here. The devs are elf pals.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:14 PM
Planar Protector

It's the single box rules.

Yeah P99 is a great place to play classic EQ, and they more or less work hard to police the players, and the anti-cheat stuff is good, but mechanics wise it's guess work and make believe

The vast majority of people play P99 because it's single box, this is like reasons 1 thru 5 on why P99 has 10x the population of TAKP.

People want single box EQ.

I don't understand it personally, multi-boxing is extremely entertaining. You wanna socialize in your elf sim? play with other boxers then

over the years anytime I'd bring up another server there's always a bunch of folks who are like, "Yeah that is pretty great, but it allows boxing"

If I made an emu server, it would have a 2 box + bazaar trader limit... somehow...

let people duo in peace by themselves or get 2 others for a full group
Old 08-28-2023, 10:42 PM
Banned

Well reasoned post. I agree popularity of P99 stems from one box and also I'd add from progress through the first two expansions only. PQ is testing the theory that a one box past Velious could be popular.

Most p99ers don't like boxing. That said those who like to multibox tend to enjoy higher APM play than EQ was designed for. These are playmakers in other games and find EQ slow. No judgement Trex. I like both P99 and TAKP. I've found more knowledgeable players there than here. The top players here have a political edge to them from all the UN shenanigans. The top players on TAKP understand the EQ world deeper.

All that said, you'd be surprised that something like 80% of p99 players would rather low APM warm body their way to DKP victory. They're watching Netflix. EQ is just their second distraction device.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's the single box rules.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I find TAKP offers a consistent high quality EQ experience. My hope is PQ will do so as well. Having three amazing servers would be better than only having to be stuck with p99 or TAKP alone. Any kind of success PQ experiences would probably have a positive impact here. The devs are elf pals.
Gonna be a shitshow unless they change their stance and find a way to effectively police ShowEQ and MQ
Old 08-30-2023, 07:20 PM
Aviak

allowing showEQ is an absolutely insane decision
Old 08-30-2023, 07:22 PM
Aviak

remember before our anti-cheat was good staff had to spawn multiple fake versions of mobs all over a raidzone to juke all the showeq cheaters? lmao