Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 07-19-2022, 10:43 AM
Kobold

Default Solo Barbarian Shaman Stat Allocation

Hi there, I'm a returning player and was wanting to pick up Shaman again. I still can't decide on stat allocation though hahaha. I am tempted to just split 50/50 stamina and wisdom, but I kinda wanna do what's best for being a solo barb. I want to melee a little but I don't know how much Strength effects that, and I know shamans get a lot of buffing spells. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by Mankong; 07-19-2022 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 07-19-2022, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

What level do you realistically plan to take it to, what level of gear will you start/end with and how/where will you play.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 07-19-2022, 02:31 PM
Fire Giant

All wisdom because you can't buff wisdom as a shaman.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What level do you realistically plan to take it to, what level of gear will you start/end with and how/where will you play.
I just plan in playing until I stop hahaha, I’ll be soloing when I can but I just plan on having fun. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-19-2022, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

Wis
Old 07-19-2022, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

Yes wisdom, nothing else matters [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-19-2022, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jimjam asking the important questions. OP, if you're not planning to join a high-end raid guild and earn a bunch of really high-end gear, Wisdom is a less ideal choice, because Stamina is far more important for Shaman.

There are long posts explaining this further but in short, hit points keep us alive AND let us cast spells: mana just lets us cast spells. Personally, I can't think of any encounter where you fail by running out of mana because your starting mana total wasn't high enough ... certainly none that don't involve high-end raiding (ie. you might fail in a group or long solo fight because you didn't regenerate mana fast enough, but that's different from not having high enough max mana to start). +6 Dragons, PoM mobs, and all the really hard Shaman solos are about casting Cannabalize a ton during the fight, not starting with 50 more mana.

So Stamina rocks ... but you won't max stamina unless you have tons of high-end gear. I played Loramin on Blue for at least half a decade, yet I never got him true "high-end gear". He just has "best in slot" gear for a non-raider or casual guild raider ... which doesn't suck either: a full suit of TOV armor (except for a Vindi BP upgrade), Lodi Shield, +6 neck, Shawl, the Chardok ring, etc. I still have a few more things to acquire (eg. Spirit Wracked Cord) ...

... and yet, Loramin only has 175 stamina. That's 225 self-buffed, which is still more than 25 away from the cap. Also, I think I put most/all of my starting points into Stamina.

If you're not planning to join the Riot/Aftermath/Kingdom/Seal Team/whatever top-end guild, and do a ton of raiding, you'll be better off putting the points into Stamina. But if you do (and we're talking about not just getting to 60 and joining that guild, but also earning and spending tens of thousands of DKP on gear) then, as others have noted, Wisdom will be the harder stat to max than Stamina.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 07-19-2022 at 05:40 PM..
Old 07-19-2022, 05:37 PM
Kobold

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jimjam asking the important questions. OP, if you're not planning to join a high-end raid guild and earn a bunch of really high-end gear, Wisdom is a less ideal choice, because Stamina is far more important for Shaman.

There are long posts explaining this further but in short, hit points keep us alive AND let us cast spells: mana just lets us cast spells. And personally, I can't think of any encounter where you fail by running out of mana because your starting mana total wasn't high enough ... certainly none that don't involve high-end raiding (ie. you might fail in a group or long solo fight because you didn't regenerate mana fast enough, but that's different from not having high enough max mana).

So Stamina rocks ... but you won't max stamina unless you have tons of high-end gear. I played Loramin on Blue for at least half a decade. He doesn't have "high-end gear", but his gear doesn't suck either: a full suit of TOV armor (except for a Vindi BP upgrade), Lodi Shield, +6 neck, Shawl, the Chardok ring, etc. I still have a few more things to acquire (eg. Spirit Wracked Cord), but largely Loramin has "best in slot" gear, for a non-raider or casual guild raider ...

... and Loramin has 175 stamina. That's 225 self-buffed, which is still more than 25 away from the cap. Also, I think I put most/all of my starting points into Stamina.

If you're not planning to join the Riot/Aftermath/Kingdom/Seal Team/whatever top-end guild, and do a ton of raiding, you'll be better off putting the points into Stamina. But if you do (and we're talking spending tens of thousands of DKP on gear here) then, as others have noted, Wisdom will be the harder stat to max than Stamina.
Thank you for your input, this touches on my concerns nicely [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I was planning on primarily soloing and adventuring, maybe the odd group here or there but I wasn’t exactly planning on raiding. I think I’ll go stamina then.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankong [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for your input, this touches on my concerns nicely [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I was planning on primarily soloing and adventuring, maybe the odd group here or there but I wasn’t exactly planning on raiding. I think I’ll go stamina then.
Glad I could help. To be fair, people sometimes change their minds about raiding when they get "Shaman level 61" (ie. 60 + Torpor).

But even if you do, putting those points in stamina won't take away from your high-end raiding fun in any way ... unless the only way you can have fun is to have the maximum possible Sta/Wis when you do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Glad I could help. To be fair, people sometimes change their minds about raiding when they get "Shaman level 61" (ie. 60 + Torpor).

But even if you do, putting those points in stamina won't take away from your high-end raiding fun in any way ... unless the only way you can have fun is to have the maximum possible Sta/Wis when you do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t mind it as much if I do give in to do raids hahaha, Thanks again!