Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

All that aside, wizards do add value to groups.

If I were a wizard I’d keep relevant succor spells up if hunting in dangerous places and keep useful utility spells on standby. For dps try to hover around 50% mana in chain pull or semi-chain pull situations. Keep enough buffer for fast hard burns when needed but also have some room to make that inevitable time productive. Starting a 5 minute group afk with 80% mana is wasted potential.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 02-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

Be outgoing, make friends and form groups.

If you look at the source material as advice (LOTR, HOBBIT) the best groups were formed by a wizard who took his party to where they needed to go.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Banned

Can/do druids and wizards duo quad?

Sounds doable.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, but the best group for wizards is an AoE kite bard doing his circle on top of the wizard so the wizard can add in his PBAOE.

In this situation a wizard is by far the best DPS class in the game.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Planar Protector

Well until the wizard goes oom and the mobs are still alive -> cleric with donals boots is a bards best friend
Old 02-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Planar Protector

I played Wizard 1-60 and never really had issues finding a group when I wanted one. Ports give you an advantage only druids share when it comes to finding groups. You can pop into all the hot zones in minutes and spam LFG until you get group ports and when you get group ports you can handcraft your own groups. 1-19 you shouldn't have too much trouble finding groups because most of the time people making groups at those levels just want to fill slots.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clicky robe comes out to 41.667 dps if chain clicked and never resisted. It definitely helps a ton but still doesn’t close the gap enough unfortunately. It really is a shame that wizards are so ineffective unless hard burning a group named or kunark era low hp raid mob.
It's true, you'll never reach the dps of a geared monk or rogue, but there's definitely a lot of value in a steady 50-60 dps (assuming decent mana regen, this is easily maintained with clicky robe) that also comes with massive burn potential, root, snare, evac, etc. I'd personally never shy away from inviting a robed-up wizard in any end game group situation, but I'm pretty far from unbiased about this.

I do agree that it's a shame wizards weren't focused on more by the original devs. Druids are basically 95% of a wizard, but they also come with heals, hp regen, mana regen, thorns, animal charm, etc. Mages have 95% of a wizard's firepower plus extremely powerful pets, though they at least lost out on root, snare, and ports which are kinda huge.

It would have only taken a few minor changes to make wizards more viable, such as more clicky nukes at all levels, good self-only mana regen (or hell just give them the clarity line instead of enchanters), improved damage to mana ratios, upgrading O'Keils radiation to be in line with mage DS, etc.

All the negativity aside, I do think it's a fun class especially if you're interested in raiding. A quad-kiting wizard can level to 60 with less screen time than pretty much any other class (just do housework during med breaks). Being able to quickly and easily get anywhere in Norrath is awesome and also provides for great income potential. If you find the right people to group with, I think you'll be okay, OP. This server isn't going anywhere and achieving maximum efficiency while leveling won't necessarily be everyone's priority.

Blue Server
Aegnor Eldruin - 60 High Elf Wizard <Dial a Port>
Vizeryn_D'Raethe - 60 Erudite Paladin
Formerly of <Azure Guard>
Old 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AegnorP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
good self-only mana regen (or hell just give them the clarity line instead of enchanters)
Great point, I've often wondered this myself. Wizards should have had the Clarity line, and left Enchanters with ToT. Having c2 and ToT is broke AF. Would have made wizards 10x more desirable in groups.

Also, would have liked to see spell crits before Luclin. They eventually got it right, but to give a war melee crits, ranger bow crits, and a wizard no spell crits was just dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AegnorP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All the negativity aside, I do think it's a fun class especially if you're interested in raiding. A quad-kiting wizard can level to 60 with less screen time than pretty much any other class (just do housework during med breaks). Being able to quickly and easily get anywhere in Norrath is awesome and also provides for great income potential. If you find the right people to group with, I think you'll be okay, OP. This server isn't going anywhere and achieving maximum efficiency while leveling won't necessarily be everyone's priority.
Good point, and quadding was much more satisfying on my wizard then druid. Flux stuff & AE snare ftw.
Last edited by Crede; 02-08-2019 at 01:05 PM..
Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

I was always a proponent of giving wizards a line of low damage but high efficiency nukes; nukes that were impractical for burning (dmg per cast was too low to burn effectively) but allowed them to sustain 50-60 dps by level 60 consistently by chain casting them. More or less having a VP or Velks robe built into their spellbook.

Ideally wizards should have reasonable sustained dmg output with big burst potential.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Enchanters have clarity, necros have lich/battery, mages have mod rods. How about wizard can summon a familiar that's very low level but gives only the wizard a bard-like effect of mana song that would stack with clarity.

I would have also given druids torpor. Shaman can already massive slow + heal and can have haste up to offset torpor, and cleric has uber heals. Druid, the third priest does what to make up the difference? Makes matters even worse when shaman already have a hp to mana conversion line. The devs were drunk or something when they gave that to shamans.
Closed Thread