Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 04:31 PM
Aviak

100% agree with the above about not needing to be a twink to be a Warrior. This requirement of Warrior requiring proc weapons to hold aggro is far more about other people (read: groupmates) being lazy than the Warrior actually needing these tools.
Last edited by port9001; 06-24-2019 at 04:41 PM..
Old 06-24-2019, 05:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by port9001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
100% agree with the above about not needing to be a twink to be a Warrior. This requirement of Warrior requiring proc weapons to hold aggro is far more about other people (read: groupmates) being lazy than the Warrior actually needing these tools.
You dont *need* great gear to roll a warrior, but it is a lot more fun to play a bare bones SK than it is a bare bones warrior. You struggle much less, and you dont wind up with the geared out monk or level 20 rogue with his epic tanking the mob all day because you can't hold threat.

We can debate whether or not it's fun to play an undergeared warrior for a veteran player, but for someone new to EQ it's just not the way to hook this poor bastard in for the next few years. You gotta push the easy stuff first man.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

Boiled down:

Knights have easy on demand aggro and their spellbooks nicely supplement tanking to a point. Sks are user friendly and mobile. Aggro is easy and feign death is amazing. Paladins bring a lot more utility to a group. At high levels paladin heal potential makes possibly the best group tanks in the game for most content. With clarity and catching a few Med ticks, from 59 plus a paladin can average 700-875 healing per minute with a lightning fast heal over time targeting self while tanking. That’s 5-6 extra fungi tunics worth of sustained healing. Neato buffs to share, 90% rez, and cc/stun.

Warriors suffer from no on demand aggro. With good gear choices they can be highly effective even on a budget they always suffer from extreme gear dependence. At high levels they start to hit Demi-god status. Evasive/defensive is wickedly powerful. With good gear they put out solid damage.

If you want to tank the nastiest monsters go warrior. If you plan on mostly grouping, knights fit that bill well.

I have a 60 warrior and 60 paladin. Both are a blast to play but Paladins are more fun in general unless raiding.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 06-25-2019 at 12:45 AM..
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Disease cloud is some of the best snap aggro out there, which is strange because it's a super weak spell.
That spell has 2 aggro components - 1 is the damage and 1 is the disease counter increase, which generates a hate value on it's own. Flame lick is the same way - it's a small dot but it also has an AC debuff which is where all the hate comes from. Any kind of debuff adds a lot of hate.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 AM
Kobold

If WOW tanking is your experience, I think an EQ warrior is going to get boring for you pretty quick. I play a warrior for the first few months of every WOW xpac myself.

I made a pally a few months ago after playing a ranger to 50 when it was max and a Rog to 60 before stopping two years ago. The paladin is 44 now and is a blast to play. Aggro is easy, unrest (as a pally) will get you hooked on the class early on as it’s probably the most powerful you will feel in the game as a tank.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Sarnak

I always say that untwinked, a monk will be your best tank. With absolutely minimal gear they tank great, hold agro better than a warrior (better weapons for less plat), and can pull singles much more easily.

After you level up your monk, twink out a knight or warrior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-25-2019, 04:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You dont *need* great gear to roll a warrior, but it is a lot more fun to play a bare bones SK than it is a bare bones warrior. You struggle much less, and you dont wind up with the geared out monk or level 20 rogue with his epic tanking the mob all day because you can't hold threat.

We can debate whether or not it's fun to play an undergeared warrior for a veteran player, but for someone new to EQ it's just not the way to hook this poor bastard in for the next few years. You gotta push the easy stuff first man.
Maybe? I find it pretty fun to start out fresh and each item you get along the way feels like a huge upgrade. You feel that with an untwinked Warrior more than any other class I think.

There's a whole guild of people on this server who play untwinked on purpose and have a lot of fun doing it. Fun, it turns out, is a very individual thing.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by port9001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe? I find it pretty fun to start out fresh and each item you get along the way feels like a huge upgrade. You feel that with an untwinked Warrior more than any other class I think.

There's a whole guild of people on this server who play untwinked on purpose and have a lot of fun doing it. Fun, it turns out, is a very individual thing.
As I said, it can be a lot of fun for a seasoned EQ player to roll a tough class and play it ungeared. But for an inexperienced person rolling a naked warrior is going to be a much harsher experience than necessary. Especially coming from WoW.

It's like taking someone who has never played Dark Souls before and telling them "hey man, it's a lot of fun to run this game backwards, using only the weapon you start with, and trying to never get hit." It is fun, but it's going to blow as your first experience. Let a guy get used to the new game first.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:17 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As I said, it can be a lot of fun for a seasoned EQ player to roll a tough class and play it ungeared. But for an inexperienced person rolling a naked warrior is going to be a much harsher experience than necessary. Especially coming from WoW.

It's like taking someone who has never played Dark Souls before and telling them "hey man, it's a lot of fun to run this game backwards, using only the weapon you start with, and trying to never get hit." It is fun, but it's going to blow as your first experience. Let a guy get used to the new game first.
That is a dumpster fire of an analogy. Playing a class as intended is nothing like playing another game not as intended. Logical fallacies detract from discussion, they do not add to it. Do better.

You continually try to state a subjective opinion as fact, and on top of that, you are stating it as an open and blanketed opinion held by many unnamed people. You are only in a position to state your own subjective opinion.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:44 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticflava [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You continually try to state a subjective opinion as fact, and on top of that, you are stating it as an open and blanketed opinion held by many unnamed people. You are only in a position to state your own subjective opinion.
Correct. I am advocating for the validity of my opinion. Please, name for me any objective or verified source of information that could conclusively tell this OP what class he should play.

Seriously, like what "facts" are there to even cite? The entire experience of playing a game is subjective.

Also, my analogy was fine. I am guessing you have never played Dark Souls. Not really the point. My point is that I strongly recommend that this new player not roll a naked warrior with absolutely zero experience in EQ. Especially on this server, since it's player base can be a bit hard on people who don't have a ton of EQ knowledge.

If I wanted to prove the fact that people on this server are often assholes for absolutely no discernable reason I could just link your post I suppose.
Closed Thread