Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

I'm running Xp Pro SP2 and I don't see AFFINITY listed as an option under Start... if I try this command line it returns "Invalid switch - "affinity"" so perhaps this is a Vista thing?

What works for me is the following in Target:

C:\Path to EQ\EverQuest\RunFirst.exe "eqgame.exe patchme"

with the path to EQ in the Start In field.

You can download RunFirst from http://www.activeplus.com/Products/RunFirst - it's free.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

So I've just built my own computer for the first time [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]! But... Unfortunately, I was unaware of the dual core issues when I bought the computer parts and what not :\. So I've got an AMD dual core processor, and I'm running windows 7(64bit), and I've tried everything that's been listen on this site and the emu site. I've tried changing the affinity to running 1 core, and I've tried using different programs listed that are suppose to help, and automatically change the affinity, but EQ still appears to be running in 2 cores.When I log in to the game, things seem to be moving pretty fast (for instance, I cast levitate and I'm bouncing all fast instead of bobbing slowly), and then I go LD after about 5mins. Sometimes when I go LD and the game crashes, I get that terrible blue screen >.< Today I installed SoF hoping it would work better, but there seems to be no change. Someone told me I needed to disable hyperthreading? But after reading about it I came across something that said AMD processors don't have hyperthreading.. I'm pretty much stuck and irritated and would greatly appreciate any help :[

Update: I ended up installing windows xp so that I could dual boot in to either windows 7 or windows xp. Installed EQ on to the windows xp, and also a program called Process Explorer which I could use to change the affinity to 1 core. EQ still runs a little fast, but It's playable and I don't get kicked off after 5mins of play time anymore :]
Last edited by Ellena; 04-25-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Old 04-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm running Xp Pro SP2 and I don't see AFFINITY listed as an option under Start... if I try this command line it returns "Invalid switch - "affinity"" so perhaps this is a Vista thing?

What works for me is the following in Target:

C:\Path to EQ\EverQuest\RunFirst.exe "eqgame.exe patchme"

with the path to EQ in the Start In field.

You can download RunFirst from http://www.activeplus.com/Products/RunFirst - it's free.

Regards,
Mg
Was this the exact thing you had in the Target: line and did you put RunFirst.exe in the Everquest folder? I can't get this line to work for some reason,
Old 04-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Fire Giant

Inel duo here and I run at slower than walk speed.. I downloaded that program and registered but i never lets me log in to run it.. I made a working shortcut with Mordachai's fix and it still does not work. first time I have had issues with an intel duel core [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] missed out on the 25% exp week bc of this ! boo

anyone with intel issue that can help me some more? :-D thanks
Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I downloaded that and tried to type it int he Target window, but it just say its invalid and it wont let me proceed. This is starting to really aggravate me >< Why cant I get this fixed~! (
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Aviak

I've got Intel dual core with Windows 7 and was having the slow motion issue. I've tried a myriad of things, but what was most effective for me was to reboot, go into the BIOS, and under Performance, I disabled SpeedStepp. Once I did that, the slow motion problem improved significantly. I could make it even better by setting the affinity, etc, but disabling SpeedStep is what made the big difference. It rarely occurs now. I've read that based on what BIOS you have, you may or may not have the ability to disable this.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabkorik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was this the exact thing you had in the Target: line and did you put RunFirst.exe in the Everquest folder? I can't get this line to work for some reason,
Yup, thats the exact line, and yes I put runfirst.exe in the EQ folder. The "Start In" is the Everquest folder as well.

Try navigating to the EQ folder and running it on the command line so you see any error messages... Run/cmd.exe, cd to EQ folder, run that command line...

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Orc

In Windows Vista/7 you can use the Task Manager to set the affinity of a program after it launches. I usually play in a window, so it doesn't bother me to have to open task manager to set the affinity.

Just make sure you only bind it to a single core.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai4785 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In Windows Vista/7 you can use the Task Manager to set the affinity of a program after it launches. I usually play in a window, so it doesn't bother me to have to open task manager to set the affinity.

I did this and it worked like a charm... I guess I'll have to do this each time since you need to go into the task manager.

I've had the same dual core AMD from when I was playing on the combine, but that was XP (and 32bit of course), and now win7/64 bit.

Thanks! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai4785 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

i tried this, but everquest stops working when i go to task manager and set the affinity.