Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 09:36 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Participation trophy’s man ....
Old 04-05-2020, 10:08 AM
Kobold

The /list function has been a good implement I think. It's spawned one minor problem, there are more people obtaining these items that aren't really qualified to get them. For example a level 25 can go sit in Drelzna's room for jboots and eventually get them no matter what. Where as without the list command they would have to join the group to get in and get the item. With this dynamic more people would not camp the item. But seeing as how it's something they can do solo and on their own time the demand for the item has become even greater.

I'm a fan of the list command. I think it has solved more problems then it has created. And I like it this way, It's just one of the drawbacks that allows more people to essentially "camp" the item than before. Knowing your turn will come up eventually changes the mentality of the person seeking the item. Whereas before you weren't guaranteed anything.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:27 AM
Sarnak

Looking at the timeline I'd expect Sol Ro to hit at around May or so. If this is the case, well, we're only talking about a couple of weeks left until the legacy items are gone. I personally feel like it'd be better to just stick it out at this point.

However, for the future if we'll have need for a /list system again I would like to see changes.

The current /list system rewards account sharing, unhealthy gameplay and makes /list items near impossible if not impossible to get for anyone with regular work and/or responsibilities.

I would personally prefer a system where you can enter a list and after X hours you are given an equal chance to win the item dropped. This way you CAN take a break and do it in sessions instead. It promotes healthier gameplay and doesn't reward account sharing (why is this allowed to begin with?). Yes it does open up the camp to more people and yes someone can get burned by the RNG-gods but since when is RNG something new to Everquest and item drops?

Just my 2 coppers.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Aviak

The only list iv done so far is J boots =), and it was a pleasant list camp with some good people =) all the other list stuff i can push to the wayside
Old 04-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Aviak

O and love ya Kingdom and your nice members =) you make ST look like children =)..... see ST this is how you do a guild take note [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-05-2020, 11:38 AM
Orc

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, camp it like the rest of us.
Not everybody got a chance to buy enough socks before shelter in place.

I don't think "give out a rain check" is the answer, but there might be one for those of us who don't do massive amounts of cocaine.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

The real problem here is that lists started out as a classic, very EverQuest-y solution. Waiting your turn is 100% a reasonable way to share content, and has been one of the "sharing mechanisms" in EQ since the start.

But, where it went south was letting lists last longer than 24 hours. Live GMs (the original "list enforcers") never enforced a list beyond 8 hours, let alone beyond 24, because they were employees who had to clock out. P99 ignoring that is what lead to the current "not sleeping" and "sharing accounts" mechanisms ... but those are terrible sharing mechanisms that reward 0.01% of the server at the expense of everyone else who just wants to play a game.

However, it's super easy to fix, using another "sharing mechanism" as a model: player agreements. Player agreements do not reward the sleep-less or those with real life partners: they reward the lucky and the patient. If you believe EQ is a game for all of us, and not just the sleepless/partnered players, then (IMHO) you should see this as the way EQ is supposed to work, because then anyone who plays the game has a chance to get those items, if they're lucky/patient enough. And again it would not be hard at all to switch from a "no sleep and account sharing" model to a "patience and luck" model.

All it would take is a list cap: after X people are on the list, you can't /list (where X might vary by camp, but would be a small number that would only very rarely result in 24+ hour waits). Instead, you can only /waitforlist. Whenever a list slot opens up, if you're in zone, everyone waiting for the list gets a "roll", and if you win that roll you go on the list.

IMHO it would be a much more classic solution than this no sleep/account sharing solution we currently have. But ultimately I think it comes down to "casuals" vs. "competitors", and what "competition" means to the people in charge.

The powers that be here are huge on "competition", and they've traditionally defined that competition as "a willingness to do things most other players won't" (eg. not sleep for a week). Historically they've seemed to prefer that idea of competition over "a willingness to do the same exact thing everyone else does, but stick with it longer or be luckier" (ie. the way it is if you try to win Golden Efreeti Boots, a Fungi Tunic, or any other non-list item).

But I haven't given up hope either: the fact that the staff does enforce player agreements, and even the fact that they made /lists at all, still makes me think that someday they might embrace a broader idea of competition that lets everyone "compete for the special stuff" the same way they compete for the "non-special stuff" (like Fungis) ... instead of making those items special giveaways to 0.01% of the server.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-05-2020 at 01:40 PM..
Old 04-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, camp it like the rest of us.
I got mine when you got yours on my cleric, and trust me.. We didnt camp it at all lol
Old 04-05-2020, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Don't you still have like a full month?
Old 04-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Sarnak

How mad would everyone (who camped it) be if they just never removed these items from the loot tables as scheduled, I'm playing green super casually and only level 5, so I have no opinion on it either way!

Amualia - Level 59 Dark-Elf Cleric
Maruki - Level 23 Iksar BONEKNIGHT
Lorelai - Level 54 High-Elf Enchanter
Closed Thread