Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 PM
Sarnak

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spergand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aluminum doesnt rustand a retard could mill a lower from a chunk of aluminum if he wanted to, there not going anywhere. America is armed to the teeth it's really our best asset
This guy fucks. ✊🏻
Old 09-24-2020, 08:02 PM
Planar Protector

For the original poster:

If you're not familiar with either, odds are you'll like the AR family better than the AK family. Most AR derivatives have good ergonomics and a nice center of mass; for the most part they point and shoot beautifully. It's an easy rifle to like. I particularly like examples done with vietnam-styled grips/etc as I consider them more comfortable, but I've never held a "bad" one. I'd trust a decent AK with my life in a heartbeat, but I've never handled one that felt good to shoot--feels like a lifeless club. The grips feel wrong, the balance and center of mass feel wrong, the sights are wrong. As much as I respect it I don't particularly LIKE the thing. I don't care for the 5.56 cartridge or for the 5.45 cartridge that the AK's I've used were chambered for. The considerations that make military organizations want the smaller round (like weight of ammunition) are not necessarily relevant to private usage. 5.56 is a nice round for killing vermin with. Pretty much no hunter ever would call it his first choice for deer-size targets--which include humans. An ordinary dude isn't a soldier lugging around 40 pounds of gear and maybe 10 or 12 magazines so the regular guy can pick the best round for the specific job instead of a good enough round that meets other criteria too.

I really like .22LR for plinking and shooting paper. For those uses, cheapness of ammunition is by far the most important consideration. Unlike the guy above I would not trust one for personal defense though. The training I received taught that they could be lethal enough but if you didn't kill your target with it outright you were unlikely to incapacitate him before he got to you. Small pistol rounds like .25 and .32 were discouraged for the same reason. If it's what you have it's better than being unarmed but it's not a first choice.

The AR family's action craps in its own house. It is and always will be a source of contention. If you want the same round with a different action the Mini-14 and HK-416 are both very good alternatives. In truth for ordinary use and sport shooting the AR action is not an issue. Conversely the AK's reliability is overblown in western media. It's a tough rifle but not magical. If you fail to maintain yours or enjoy throwing it in mudholes it'll stop working just like any other rifle will stop working.

Try to avoid buying "tactical" anything. That's the firearm equivalent of "gaming" computer accessories: Just advertising glurge used to inflate the price.

Danth
Old 09-24-2020, 09:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I really like .22LR for plinking and shooting paper. For those uses, cheapness of ammunition is by far the most important consideration. Unlike the guy above I would not trust one for personal defense though.
It would seem there may be a bit of confusion here. I will see if I can clear it up! A .22lr round is not the same as a NATO 5.56. The bullet diameter is about all that is the same between the two. The 5.56 cartridge is longer and fatter and gets the bullet out of the barrel with a lot more energy than .22lr. You can expect around 10x power at the muzzle from 5.56 and it is designed to tumble upon penetration. It is a staple of US military, though it has been displaced to partially by 300blk in various specialty arenas. Realistically, I would lean on 300blk for self defense given its performance in shorter barrels and at shorter distances. It works great for anything inside 350 yards in an SBR or pistol format. It is an expensive round though and if you already have other hunting rifles I don’t see any utility for it in that arena. I wouldn’t ever use an AR or an AK for hunting.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:11 PM
Banned

depends who you are hunting
Old 09-25-2020, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOats [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh okay, good deal. I just saw the web address had 80lower in it and didn’t follow the link.

As far as the 16” barrel goes, it all depends on what you plan to do with it. If you want the best accuracy to range ratio, you can go with an 18”. Anymore than that and you will end up with more whip. The only reasons to go shorter than 16” are if you plan to keep it for self-defense and would like something suited to CQB, or if you would like to suppress it, or if you want something easier to transport or have a CPL and would like to carry concealed. The one other consideration on barrel length is that if you build a pistol first, then you can convert it to a rifle whenever you like, but if your build starts as a rifle, then you cannot convert to a pistol. The likelihood of anybody ever actually knowing is small, but it is the law.

As for the 14.5” barrel, that would mean that you are either building an SBR or a pistol, unless you permanently affix the muzzle device by weld, solder or pin. The muzzle device cannot be removable, otherwise once you attach a stock to the weapon, you suddenly have an SBR, which requires the aforementioned tax stamp prior to assembly. The alternative of course is to build it as a pistol. If you do not want a pistol or an SBR and you want to be able to swap out muzzle devices, then go with an actual barrel length of 16” or more. Often they come in 16.1”
Good advice. This just convinced me to build a short barreled AR.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Banned

my buddy bought a brand new ar9 yesterday its like a pistol

pretty cool
Old 09-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea lots of retards who will never shoot a person in their lifetime are arming themselves up

Good for the economy though
I fucking hope they don’t man, sometimes it’s scary. They all think they’re tough. Get scared like pussies and open fire like pussy ass Kyle

SAD!
Old 09-25-2020, 05:59 PM
Banned

Defending your life with deadly bullets isnt a pussy thing to do. Nice try hairball
Old 09-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

Follow the wisdom of our most dedicated community servants: the child soldier.

AK all the way
Old 09-25-2020, 07:13 PM
Sarnak

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
my buddy bought a brand new ar9 yesterday its like a pistol

pretty cool
Those are pretty cool. I have been thinking about picking up a 9mm upper and some mag conversion kits for one of my AR pistols.
Closed Thread