Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 12:09 PM
Aviak

Default Realistically, will warriors be able to hold aggro at all?

Future Green warrior here. Warriors on Blue are heavily reliant on worn haste and high ratio weapons to hold good aggro throughout most of the 1-40 leveling experience. While it's true that twinking has a lot to do with this, classes such as monks and rogues have naturally high damage (and hate output).

Since there's basically no worn haste and ratios on most weapons are utter garbage, what chance to warriors realistically have without a shaman or druid or ranger in the group to provide root capability? Will this affect our ability to find groups? Will people shun us because we simply don't have the tools required to effectively perform our primary job role as tank?

All of this has me a little worried... I love my warrior on Blue and I want to make a warrior on Green, and I really want to put in the time and effort to excel, but I've never experienced pre-Kunark EQ before.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

No worn haste? FBSS is still a gold standard 20 years later.

It'll be about the same as blue, just no lvl 1 procs. Get a PGT if you want the proc route.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Kobold

Other classes will have to learn to let the warrior establish agro with a head start before they start attacking/nuking.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It'll be about the same as blue, just no lvl 1 procs. Get a PGT if you want the proc route.
For a multitude of reasons, I don't think it's actually realistic to expect most warriors to have access to FBSS for a long while. It'll be camped hard by the early zoomers and sold for nigh unfathomable amounts of platinum, and most people won't have a guild or network of friends willing to bankroll something like that out of charity (or get them into the frenzied ghoul camp). And that's to say nothing of the fact that the frenzied ghoul is a tough, high-level area, so for leveling, the camp is almost out of the question until very late.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:48 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Other classes will have to learn to let the warrior establish agro with a head start before they start attacking/nuking.
People don't do that on Blue, so I hardly expect them to do that on Green, lol.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransurian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People don't do that on Blue, so I hardly expect them to do that on Green, lol.
We were training ntov drakes the other day.

I swear dps were attacking as soon as i had tagged the mob with a dispel stick, before i even positioned the mob / enabled my own auto attack.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Halfling/dwarf/gnome warrior with bull crusher primary and pgt off hand will be a good and accessible build for a while. Roll Brell for dwarvern cultural armour later.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Halfling/dwarf/gnome warrior with bull crusher primary and pgt off hand will be a good and accessible build for a while. Roll Brell for dwarvern cultural armour later.
Sounds like a fairly solid weapon setup against most enemies. But for ghouls and wisps and the like, we'll need a second magic weapon. Is Langseax / Langseax of the Wolves attainable as a non-Barbarian? The P99 Wiki says you need good faction to complete the quest (https://wiki.project1999.com/Langseax_Quest), but I've got no clue if that's accurate.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

It's a droppable reward, so just loot items / turn in on a Barb and trade it to 'main'
Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

We will root the mob. Then it will attack the player closest to it. All melee dps will move back to max melee range and the warrior will step on the mob's toes. Aggro established!
Closed Thread