Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd be perfectly happy if none of the expansions were ever released, I'm here to play the original EQ. Take your time guys, take your time [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Amen. Kunark could wait another year or 2 and I'd be happy
Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbadger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/agree!

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Kobold

Amen
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought the Project 2010 server was a cool idea, if it was EQ expansions done right, where instead of the dumbing down of the server to WoW standards it would continue in the vein of the Classic server ie no spires, no books, no nexus, no PoK (or repopulate it with mobs as a high end zone?), no Bazaar, and use the other zones beyond Velious as additional content but aligned with the core philosophy of the Classic server. Seems real exciting to me!
This is the question that I have to ask those of you who were fans of the original game back in 1999:

Were the newer zones the reason why the game was ruined for you? From what I have seen, most Classic EQ fans do not like SOE's Live server anymore, not because of all the new zone content, but because they nerfed a lot of the hardcore mechanics.

So why couldn't we have a server (not this server) that added the new content from later expansions, but kept the hardcore features still intact? For example, I would LOVE to play LDoN, but still lose my equipment on death, not have book/portal stones, and still see the Classic models using Velious armor.

There ought to be a server that tries to set things as they should have been with the newer zone content before SOE nerfed the old/hard-core mechanics.

World's first MMORPG with true family systems
Player-created villages, dungeons and items
Dynamic weather, monsters and events
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Were the newer zones the reason why the game was ruined for you?
I think a lot of it was that there needs to be a balance between server population and number of available zones per hunting level range. If we added all of the zones in Live right now without changing the mechanics, would it really be the same experience? You'd be lucky to see another group in the same zone you were XPing in. Heaven forbid you need a rez with everyone so spread out like that.

If you make too much content available, you spread everyone out, it's harder to find groups, and you spend more of your play time looking for groups or attempting to solo, and it just gets old. However, if there's not enough content available, zones are jam-packed... you might be able to find a group easier, but good luck getting a camp or just 2-3 spawns for your group to pull for XP.

To make it more difficult, the level range of your server population is constantly changing. People level at different rates, people achieve max level and then go start alts, etc. The trick is to keep your finger on the pulse of your server population/level distribution and open up content as needed. That's why I think Kunark and Velious worked okay... there were enough high level players building up waiting for the floodgates to open to new content. Then, I don't know exactly when, maybe around PoP, a huge gap between hardcore and casual players was created, further fragmenting the community.

For me, it was more about that then gimping the game mechanics or whatever.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think a lot of it was that there needs to be a balance between server population and number of available zones per hunting level range. .... If you make too much content available, you spread everyone out, it's harder to find groups, and you spend more of your play time looking for groups or attempting to solo, and it just gets old. However, if there's not enough content available, zones are jam-packed... you might be able to find a group easier, but good luck getting a camp or just 2-3 spawns for your group to pull for XP.
BINGO! I think we're experiencing both right now - jam packed zones like Oasis, Guk, and Unrest, and very quiet zones like HPH and RunnyEye... with server population pushing 1000 I think we'd see all zones be getting big licks, at least til Kunark spread everyone out again....

Stopping this server at Velious may be a perfect ratio, or even a little on the "too many zones" side, but it'll be interesting to see what server population can be sustained.

I really don't see any issues with linking in some custom content for the high end game like other Planes, but keep them similar to Hate or Fear where you need magic to get there, or at least a special gateway... but to avoid polluting the server economy I'd split the server (Project 2010?) and let people decide which one they want to play on. Hopefully we'll be pushing the limit of players on one server and need a split anyways [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
BINGO! I think we're experiencing both right now - jam packed zones like Oasis, Guk, and Unrest, and very quiet zones like HPH and RunnyEye... with server population pushing 1000 I think we'd see all zones be getting big licks,
Well, the other issue is that for most of us, this is our second time around, knowing a lot more about the game than back in 1999. Min-maxers are going to gravitate towards the zones with the known best risk/reward ratio (Oasis - amazing outdoors XP, Unrest - ridiculous ZEM, Guk - the best non-planar loot in the game), and leave the other zones relatively empty.

What do you do if you spawn in Freeport? You level up and head for the newb camps and work your way to Oasis/Dervs then Upper Guk... or maybe go off Antonica and head out to Crushbone and then Unrest with everyone else who started in that area to ensure you can get groups. Then after graduating Unrest, you may as well start up in Mistmoore since you're right there. What do you do if you spawn in Erudin or Qeynos? You GTFO out of there as soon as you can and head where everyone else appears to be. Maybe come back for aviaks in SK and LR later. This creates a lot of unused zones in the Karanas areas.

The only point where zones like HPH and Runnyeye start getting populated is when those premier zones start getting over-saturated (can't get that awesome XP because there's not enough to pull, can't get that awesome loot because every loot camp is taken, etc) and force the overflow into other areas.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think a lot of it was that there needs to be a balance between server population and number of available zones per hunting level range. If we added all of the zones in Live right now without changing the mechanics, would it really be the same experience? You'd be lucky to see another group in the same zone you were XPing in. Heaven forbid you need a rez with everyone so spread out like that.
See I disagree with that statement. I think the main thing that fragmented the community in Live was the portal stones (especially since everyone gets to start at PoK), and the Bazaar.

If all players begin at level 1 at their racial starting city, using the mechanics in the game now, they are FORCED to work with what they have there (local trading, player ports, etc) until they are strong enough to move on.

So even though we would have tons of high level content, we'd still get to see the old-school zones filled to capacity. Unlike Live where the starting, old-school, zones are ghost towns.

Edit: I don't think even having a low server population would hurt. I actually think that it makes sense for there to be a lot of players in the starting zones because people haven't got a guild yet, made friends, and are mostly soloing for the first 10 levels. The later zones can be more sparse because, by that point, players would have most likely joined a community (guild, group, friends, etc) for rezzing and porting help. And I'm sorry, but if you're still soloing after level 20, you're playing the game wrong - EQ was always designed to require grouping and collaborative play.

World's first MMORPG with true family systems
Player-created villages, dungeons and items
Dynamic weather, monsters and events
Last edited by lumin; 05-13-2010 at 02:32 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbadger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^this