Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Sarnak

Default Low FPS as a result of P99s fixed framerate?

Hello.

Since Windows 10 violated me with a non-consensual '''''''feature update'''''''', I've been experiencing lower-than-satisfactory FPS on all Project 1999 servers.
Seeing as I am no longer able to rollback this update (as another thread suggested), I've been trying to pinpoint the cause.

So as a test, I went to another server (PEQ I believe) and was greeted with the same choppy 20-30 FPS. That is, until I adjusted the FPS slider from 60 to 100. Lo and behold, things are running as they should!! Until we return to P99, where the FPS slider is restricted to decreasing the framerate only.

Seeing as this appears to not be a common issue for most P99 players, I'm feeling like it could be related to my hardware settings? Currently running on a Ryzen 3600 CPU + RX 580 GPU combo. I've tried messing around with Radeon software settings, setting up a specific profile for eqgame.exe, turning off Radeon Chill / Enhanced Sync etc as well as attempting to set a fixed minimum/maximum framerate within the software.

My theory is that the game may no longer be utilizing the GPU (or possibly CPU) enough when it is being capped at 60FPS, for whatever reason (this was not rly the case before the forced windows update) However, I am kind of out of ideas on what specific settings I should try to modify. If anyone has experienced this with a similar set up and has any suggestions I would be most grateful!

Some things I've tried so far:

Reinstalling latest graphics drivers with factory reset
Running the game in Fullscreen
Running WinEQ2 with CPU AFFINITY changes on and off, EQPlayNice FPS limiting high
dgvoodoo & Wined3d
Adjusting in game resolution and graphics settings
Deleting eqclient.ini and UI configurations for characters
Reinstalling the P99 patch files
Other things listed above in my huge blanket of text
eqlog.txt is off, so no overly large log files
Old 03-28-2021, 12:48 AM
Large Bat

Try Vsync=1 in Eqclclient.ini and leave CPU AFFINITY to p1999 default
Old 03-28-2021, 05:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try Vsync=1 in Eqclclient.ini and leave CPU AFFINITY to p1999 default
Hmm.. I don't see an entry for V-Sync in the eqclient.ini. I tried adding it in manually but it didn't appear to change anything. I also tried adjusting the refresh rate in game but that also had no effect. Thank you for the suggestion though.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:37 AM
Skeleton

I'm having a similar FPS issue. I'm returning after a couple years and found my FPS is an abysmal ~35. When I played previously I wasn't having this problem. Nothing changed with my hardware: i5-6600k and 980ti in Win10 Home.

I tried most of the same fixes as OP with no change. Also tried messing with Windows "Game Mode" but that didn't work either.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 03-31-2021, 07:18 AM
Planar Protector

Try playing in windowed mode. That seems to have fixed it for me, and I had the same issue you had.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 03-31-2021, 02:07 PM
Fire Giant

Get win eq2 from lavasoft /nod
Old 03-31-2021, 10:43 PM
Sarnak

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try playing in windowed mode. That seems to have fixed it for me, and I had the same issue you had.
I play exclusively in windowed mode. Only tried fullscreen to see if it had any impact on framerate. It did not, sadly. I also tried different resolutions and refresh rates in both windowed and fullscreen to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Get win eq2 from lavasoft /nod
Have tried it many times now, with a lot of different settings. I even tried borderless gaming utility to see if that would help. No dice. Using any sort of wrapper has had zero change on performance for P99 servers. dgvoodoo simply caused graphical rendering errors ontop of the consistent low FPS.

It seems as though some sort of conflict has developed with how P99's custom files handle the titanium client and migrating from Win10 1909 to 20H2. It's entirely possible that some setting under the hood was changed during the update process, but I've yet to determine what it could be. The power plan is the same as it was prior to updating (AMD Ryzen High Performance).

The only lead I could find was another thread on the Project1999 subreddit where only several AMD GPU users were sharing pretty much exact experiences with framerate issues, but ultimately was a dead end for any fixes.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:35 PM
Aviak

My FPS issues were caused by the Nvidia service NVIDIA Display Container LS. Since stopping and disabling it a couple months back I haven't had any issues.

Perhaps there's a similar issue with AMD gpus? Could try stopping any AMD services and see if it helps.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:41 PM
Aviak

hi.

you have not a nvidia grapics card but perhaps my tip will help.
i have a nvidia gfx-card and fixed my fps problems with changing a parameter in the nvidia systemcontrol for everquest. perhaps there is the possibility there is the same parameter for amd graphics cards.

I am in germany an i dont know the exact english name but i think
the parameter from which i talk is named :

Mode for low latency
or
low latency mode

i set this to ULTRA and my fps issuses were solved

well, i make a also a screenshot.

https://ibb.co/0ywRgqP

good luck
Old 04-06-2021, 09:00 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by void221 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hi.

you have not a nvidia grapics card but perhaps my tip will help.
i have a nvidia gfx-card and fixed my fps problems with changing a parameter in the nvidia systemcontrol for everquest. perhaps there is the possibility there is the same parameter for amd graphics cards.

I am in germany an i dont know the exact english name but i think
the parameter from which i talk is named :

Mode for low latency
or
low latency mode

i set this to ULTRA and my fps issuses were solved

well, i make a also a screenshot.

https://ibb.co/0ywRgqP

good luck
Something similar helped me, you have to check when EQ loads that it is using the correct displayed driver also.