Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like this is a pretty stupid question, but Enchanters on p99 are over the top in how OP they can be both solo and in xp groups by charming stupidly powerful npcs to do the dirty work. The above is a difference that could explain why they get faster solo xp on p99, but it still seems like them charming OP mobs like rogues and wrecking seems over the top. Did charmed NPCs always do full damage? Are there any documented accounts from classic of enchanters charming osargen or similar NPC and just wrecking a zone? Is this something people just didn't figure out? Because it seems like if an enchanter did this in classic, others would see it and be like WTF and you'd see posts on allakhazam osargen page like "he's ok but use him as a charm pet he's F-ing badass."
I absolutely do NOT remember any of this charming stuff going on back when I played in era. Chanters were considered a group centric class on my server and were invited to Clarity, mez, and debuff/slow. No one got them for adding DPS.

I don't know if the mechanics differed or if it was just people didn't know and/or were too scared to try. Latency/connections/LD's being what they were you really didn't need any extra group wiping variables like a buffed out hasted rogue mob going loose, people would not have found that to be an acceptable risk IME.

I did notice on Alla a while back some mention of guilds using charm pets on Statue/AoW attempts but that would have been bleeding edge guilds with level 60 ench/druids in good gear.
Last edited by Fammaden; 09-27-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Old 09-27-2019, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I absolutely do NOT remember any of this charming stuff going on back when I played in era. Chanters were considered a group centric class on my server and were invited to Clarity, mez, and debuff/slow. No one got them for adding DPS.
I'll never "prove" it and such proof most likely does not exist, but I firmly believe that ALL non-fixed-duration spells are overly reliable on P1999. This includes not only charm, but also root (there's a reason people loved Enchanters for crowd control) and invisibility spells. On top of that the lull spell line also works far more reliably than it did historically as well because its inflated resist rate was coded into the host and not the spelldata file, so it didn't show up that way on Lucy/etc.

I don't place much stock in what Enchanter players claim. When P99 opened they were pinky-swearing up and down that Wirl-till-you-hurl lasting full duration every time and never breaking from damage was totally classic and legit. Some folks'll say just about anything in the name of preserving their advantages.

Danth
Old 09-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll never "prove" it and such proof most likely does not exist, but I firmly believe that ALL non-fixed-duration spells are overly reliable on P1999.Danth
I have no proof, but I clearly remember spells like Camouflage not having a fixed time on all users. I remember I was on a CR to Oasis and someone at the EC tunnel gave me a camo and about 1-2 minutes into NRO, it dropped due to my level. I also remember other spells doing the same type of thing over the years back in the beginning of it all.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have no proof, but I clearly remember spells like Camouflage not having a fixed time on all users. I remember I was on a CR to Oasis and someone at the EC tunnel gave me a camo and about 1-2 minutes into NRO, it dropped due to my level. I also remember other spells doing the same type of thing over the years back in the beginning of it all.
Don't get me wrong, such spells can and do fade early on P99 from time to time; I simply believe (again, can't prove it) that they're much too "kind" on P1999 and generally too reliable. Same with the lull spells, they had an artificially high resist rate but nobody's going to find it because it was coded directly in the host and not the spelldata files, so folks look at spelldata and see nothing amiss.

The above creates something of a perfect storm of overpowered awesome for the Enchanter class because it uniquely uses ALL of these types of spells.

Danth
Old 09-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Will the level requirement for Plane of Fear be as it was on live (i.e. level 1)? Verant didn't add the level 46 requirement due to complaints about lost lowbies dying there, but when people started posting complaints about L26 twinks in full planar armor on the old Sony forum it suddenly became very important to them.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll never "prove" it and such proof most likely does not exist, but I firmly believe that ALL non-fixed-duration spells are overly reliable on P1999. This includes not only charm, but also root (there's a reason people loved Enchanters for crowd control) and invisibility spells. On top of that the lull spell line also works far more reliably than it did historically as well because its inflated resist rate was coded into the host and not the spelldata file, so it didn't show up that way on Lucy/etc.

I don't place much stock in what Enchanter players claim. When P99 opened they were pinky-swearing up and down that Wirl-till-you-hurl lasting full duration every time and never breaking from damage was totally classic and legit. Some folks'll say just about anything in the name of preserving their advantages.

Danth
100% my experience as a druid from live with the charm animal mechanics and root mechanics. Had to constantly watch for those breaks.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:48 PM
Sarnak

I do remember charming and dual wielding+hasting pets in the live era in Sebilis. Usually it was something I did only in groups with a backup healer. And charm duoing. However I'll agree that it felt harder. Equal chances it was player knowledge (proper actions on breaks) and that it was actually harder due to more charm breaks or resists on stun/mez.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:33 PM
Planar Protector

Please devs, give us 25% more charm, invis, etc. breaks on Green (with no notice whatsoever [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:52 PM
Kobold

Is Kithicor Forest going to not be haunted at night? I read on the wiki that it wasn't changed till later, so it should just be sort of low level till then yeah?
Closed Thread