Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Fire Giant

Default A true story of a fight

Today, with my 46 Ranger, I decided to hunt in the Emerald Jungle for a bit. I picked an Erollisi Bloodthorn. These are Warrior mobs, around level 39 at highest.

I snared one to pull it back to a bit safer area. The snare stuck, but my, this thing ran pretty fast, even snared. Still it did not catch me.

I began to do battle and it was hitting hard and fast. My AC being a Ranger, is not great - low 800s - but it was ripping me up with hits up near the max of it's range.

I decided to root, dot and heal. I dotted with Stinging Swarm from my arms, and cast Root - all good. I healed a little and sat down to med. I knew that the duration of the root could/would last as long as the swarm. However, it broke early. So I melee a little more and it keeps ripping me up. I decide to free dot, snare, and arrow kite it some. Cast snare, resisted! Cast again, stuck. Cast Stinging Swarm, resisted! Cast snare, stuck. So I turn to run to get distance to arrow kite... .and the thing smacks the crap out of me from about 50 yards behind me.

I do make the distance, and start trying to arrow kite... but it is so fast, even snared! It gets too close and smacks me again. Suddenly I am 19 health and afraid. I give up and bail out of the fight - I do manage to run away and get safe, as I am sowed.

So... level 46 me against a level 39 mob. I lost, fighting with the tools of my class. This is not a story about the weakness of Rangers. It is just one fight... but the untoward mishaps that occurred within this fight are not uncommon. It is a story that is intended as a lead-in to pose this question...

Have adjustments gone too far? Is this game HARDER than classic? It seems to me that maybe AC, resists and mob run speed might all need to be looked at.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Kobold

tldr; rangers suck
Old 07-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
tldr; rangers suck
lmao [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Planar Protector

A level 50 ranger has a tough time with a level 40 mob. A level 53 ranger has a tough time with a level 40 mob. Around 55, the mob will start feeling like something you can easily handle and it will turn green the next level. What do we learn from this? Fight the lowest level mobs that give you full exp (dark blue) for best results. Lv 39 mob vs Lv 46 melee is just asking for hurt feelings

tl;dr: rangers suck
Last edited by Cecily; 07-27-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Level 40 mobs give you great exp until level 56, I think. A level 50 ranger is has a tough time with a level 40 mob. A level 53 ranger has a tough time with a level 40 mob. Around 55, the mob will start feeling like something you can easily handle and the mob will turn green the next level. EQ for you.

tl;dr: rangers suck
You folks are all missing my points.

* Root broke early, as it is commonly doing these days.
* Stinging Swarm was resisted. Very uncommon.
* Mob is running at near standard speed when snared.
* Mob was hitting for max quite frequently.

I might add, that I am rather well geared.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

You haven't waited for me to finish editing my thoughts. You're picking a fight that is difficult for rangers, "rather well geared" rangers even, until their low 50s. There's a point in time which twink gear, epics / haste / fungi / sky cloak, becomes leveling gear. At level 46, you're pretty much at that point.

Source: A rather well geared ranger.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Fire Giant

My point is that the difficulty I encountered, other than possibly being ripped up by melee (and I still think AC is not where it should be in that regard), is that the mob resisted too much and ran WAY the hell too fast. I don't think this is normal, even for this mob. Instead it seems indicative of problems I have seen fighting with many characters, and many different mobs.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

All the things you mentioned in that last post were tweaked with (or broken) recently:
  • Resist rates (especially greens)
  • Snare speed (lawl raptors)
  • AC (??? like normal for P99)
Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Also, you're doin it wrong:

Swarmcaller

MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM
Slot: PRIMARY
Skill: 2H Slashing Atk Delay: 41
DMG: 29
Effect: Tagar's Insects (Combat, Casting Time: Instant) at Level 46
Old 07-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All the things you mentioned in that last post were tweaked with (or broken) recently:
  • Resist rates (especially greens)
  • Snare speed (lawl raptors)
  • AC (??? like normal for P99)
In this case, it seems that we are more or less in agreement. I am going a bit further in claiming that this is not "classic" - an accusation that I am sure that if I were a dev, I would NOT want to have leveled at me. I DON'T want to appear or be ungrateful. I'm very grateful for this game. However, I do think that some stuff needs to get adjusted, for the good of the game.