Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 12:38 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They're doing a time-honored American tradition: screw over everyone but yourself to make ungodly amounts of money, then spend some fraction of that money (while still living a disgustingly opulent lifestyle) to also buy "max faction for your character" (ie. a good name in the history books).
Well, the principle is quite a bit older than that : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence
Old 06-25-2020, 12:48 PM
Banned

Why is it always the losers who hate on wildly successful business folk? Do you know why Jeff Bezos is the richest man on Earth? Because he created a company that was better than the competition. Amazon closed inefficiencies in distribution that will now be forever closed, thanks to Amazon. They also made computing a utility, and are on their way to making machine learning a utility. If you consider these discontinuous leap forward in productivity and efficiency for mankind "scummy", then it doesn't really matter what you think because that line of thought is irrelevant.

Inb4 "muh small companies" - this is a short-term effect of a giant leap forward. Every other major technological leap has displaced existing workers and companies in the short term but benefitted society in the long term. Amazon's contributions are no different.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, the principle is quite a bit older than that : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence
Heh, but the American part is that they are weighed in the court of public opinion/history ... not by the Catholic Church [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:15 PM
Banned

ty AMZN for fulfilling my 12 month supply of home goods
Old 06-25-2020, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiscriminate_hater [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why is it always the losers who hate on wildly successful business folk? Do you know why Jeff Bezos is the richest man on Earth? Because he created a company that was better than the competition. Amazon closed inefficiencies in distribution that will now be forever closed, thanks to Amazon. They also made computing a utility, and are on their way to making machine learning a utility. If you consider these discontinuous leap forward in productivity and efficiency for mankind "scummy", then it doesn't really matter what you think because that line of thought is irrelevant.

Inb4 "muh small companies" - this is a short-term effect of a giant leap forward. Every other major technological leap has displaced existing workers and companies in the short term but benefitted society in the long term. Amazon's contributions are no different.
Bezos isn't at all like a modern bill gates. He poached competition and didn't care because the potential penalty was a joke and the legal system has STILL not caught up with the internet age. I don't think of him as bad/evil guy or anything, but he is not far removed from the dude on the corner selling you a "Rolex" and damn if it ain't shiny.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know what? How dare you? Just because I was gleefully complicent in helping The Mystical Order stall the progress of a thousand other players on the server doesn't make me the bad guy. In fact your implied use of "guy" as a gender neutral pronoun, while meta ironically using it in the male sense is at best a thinly veiled transphobic microaggression and, more likely, yet another attempt to silence me as a woman on this patriarchal platform.
My only regret is that I cannot edit my post to make explicit use of "guy", or even to imply its use (your unsupported attempt to infer an implication is pretty awesome tho, "mad props" for that.)

In my defense, I feel I must point out that my inactive forever 50-something rogue on blue has the name Guyfencin (quick, somebody call the name police!).
Old 06-25-2020, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know what? How dare you? Just because I was gleefully complicent in helping The Mystical Order stall the progress of a thousand other players on the server doesn't make me the bad guy. In fact your implied use of "guy" as a gender neutral pronoun, while meta ironically using it in the male sense is at best a thinly veiled transphobic microaggression and, more likely, yet another attempt to silence me as a woman on this patriarchal platform.
Consider my fancy tickled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-25-2020, 03:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bezos isn't at all like a modern bill gates. He poached competition and didn't care because the potential penalty was a joke and the legal system has STILL not caught up with the internet age. I don't think of him as bad/evil guy or anything, but he is not far removed from the dude on the corner selling you a "Rolex" and damn if it ain't shiny.
I'm not sure if you really like Bill Gates or really dislike Jeff Bezos but.....how Gates got to where he is meant he didn't simply climb a ladder or even step on some toes. He (figuratively) walked into IBM's main corporate building and smacked ever executive over the head with a 2x4. Hell, right around when I was getting into working on computers it became apparent to me that MS/Gates was more about acquiring tech and companies more than developing things on their own. While they do some of their own development a lot of it is that dude on the corner selling you a Rolex.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:27 PM
Planar Protector

I prefer Ajax
Old 06-25-2020, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree - he's not a modern Bill Gates. He is responsible for a much bigger impact on the world than is Bill Gates.

When the legal system does catch up, the result will be a more regulated and yet still much better version of what previously existed.
Closed Thread