Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 02:03 PM
Large Rat

Default Tips For New Warrior

Hi,

Just started a Warrior last night, got to level 5. What tips do you have for proceeding out of the newbie zone? What gear should I be eying down/saving for? What weapons? Where should I be, what should I be killing, should I be mostly looking to group?

Feel free to give me your best advice - I never played on Blue or Red, last time I played EQ, I was in Velious on Retail, so feel free to treat me as a newbie.

Thanks all.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:24 PM
Kobold

Save for magic boots and a magic weapon.

Kill everything that moves and always kill dark blues solo and try for yellows if you can get into a group.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:40 PM
Planar Protector

A scimitar and shield from a merchant should be your first purchases! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I am not sure but I htink shield AC is like, better than regular AC but I'll let other melee players confirm that.

So I always figure shield should be buy #2, scimitar has great ratio, a really great ratio! and can be re-sold to merchant at like a loss of less than a plat, so its free real estate.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMCorian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi,

Just started a Warrior last night, got to level 5. What tips do you have for proceeding out of the newbie zone? What gear should I be eying down/saving for? What weapons? Where should I be, what should I be killing, should I be mostly looking to group?

Feel free to give me your best advice - I never played on Blue or Red, last time I played EQ, I was in Velious on Retail, so feel free to treat me as a newbie.

Thanks all.
I've done a few launches on tlp, so I've learned a few things. Here's a simple way I would approach a fresh warrior on these servers:

-level to 5 solo(you already did this)
-find a group in an outdoor zone to level from here on out(dont solo anymore)
-if you need to farm money, kill all the level 1 stuff around town and just vender everything. This will get you enough plat to buy some stuff.
-start buying pieces of banded gear from players out of ooc. this is gonna be like 10p per piece on average. Go to a zone that drops a lot of cheap armor like south ro for large races and try to pick up raw hide armor for 5g a piece.
-buy a vender weapon... I have no idea about warriors but for shamans a "spear" is a great weapon for 11p but it's 1h.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 10-27-2019, 10:18 PM
Fire Giant

Save for full banded armor of the smallest size your character can wear. If you're an Elf, you want small. If you are a barb, you want medium. Etc. You could buy the materials for a Forged Bastard Sword and have the smith making your armor do a combine and hand it off - it has a pretty decent ratio for a stock weapon.

Ghouls & Wisps will have you needing a magic weapon to hit them, along with Mummies and I believe Scarecrows. Straight up don't fight them by being in zones where you will not encounter them - OR. Get a mage summoned Spear of Warding to use for a grouping session if you expect them to be encountered. Your first set of dual wield weapons should be this - http://wiki.project1999.com/Langseax

You can either do the quest on your own or simply group up with guildmates to get some. The other players should have an interest in them to sell to others.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Dragoon_Dirk - the dragoon dirk is a fine alternative and has a 100% drop rate off of a lvl 24ish mob in Oggok that is an absolute pushover for his con. He really sucks. Get a friend and go get one for free if you're about lvl 21+ for tanking him.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Polished_Granite_Tomahawk - the venerable PGT can be obtained as early as about level 16 in a full group. This will probably be perma camped for a while but you'll have an easier time getting into a group for it over the Orc side of the canyon, as seasoned players will be poop socking the shiny brass idol for later on.

Bags are a big deal. Use vendor purchased Medicine bags which are excellent for their weight, and score a http://wiki.project1999.com/Forager_Bag for free. A level 5 ogre shaman can trigger the frog to appear, so it might be worth you while to level one and use it to get bags for your alts are friends after you get your first.

Folks will try to persuade you in getting a combine weapon - but if it were my warrior I was leveling, I'd just push on and get a free set of langsaxes and call it a day.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:19 AM
Planar Protector

Shit I'm getting so jacked thinking of these dog doo weapons being relevant aaaaaahhh so good.

I used the PGT for many many days on my ol ranger.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 10-28-2019 at 12:22 AM..
Old 10-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Large Rat

Thank you all so much for this.

Question: As a Half-Elf, I went for 80 Str, 105 Stam. Given the circumstances of this new server, did I goof? I've heard issues of folks really having a bad time on a fresh server pre-Kunark server with low strength... as Str items are apparently much harder to find.

I understand typical tanking wisdom is Sta all the way for end game, but is my life going to be really hard as a result of that choice? Am I stuck using Banded because anything better will make me about 25 pounds overweight before I'm even out of the gate?
Old 10-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMCorian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What tips do you have for proceeding out of the newbie zone? What gear should I be eying down/saving for? What weapons? Where should I be, what should I be killing, should I be mostly looking to group?
There's like 10+ starting areas in this game, all with different available gear, mobs, strategies, etc.

It's impossible to help you with the tiny amount of information that you've provided.

Like, I could tell you to go to Crushbone but that's going to be awful advice if you started in Qeynos.

And at level 5 you're probably not ready for a grand adventure leaving everything behind to move specifically to a different part of the world.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:03 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's like 10+ starting areas in this game, all with different available gear, mobs, strategies, etc.

It's impossible to help you with the tiny amount of information that you've provided.

Like, I could tell you to go to Crushbone but that's going to be awful advice if you started in Qeynos.

And at level 5 you're probably not ready for a grand adventure leaving everything behind to move specifically to a different part of the world.
I started in Freeport - I'm level 6 now.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:11 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Am I stuck using Banded because anything better will make me about 25 pounds overweight before I'm even out of the gate?
The way I look at it, if you've already chosen Half Elf Warrior then stats aren't really something that you have much preference for. Half Elves have poor starting stats for Warriors... and just about every other class.

Should you reroll? I have no idea, I would never roll a Half Elf in the first place. But you made one, so there must be something about Half Elves that you like.

80 STR isn't particularly low. A full set of Lustrous Russet runs 34.2 WT, add weapons and other things and you're looking at about I don't know, 50-60 or so WT in gear at level 50. That gives you little room for loot (20-30 WT) but I also haven't included any strength bonuses from your gear, buffs, etc. It may be slightly limiting but by end game you should be fine.

The one area where you may struggle is at lower levels when you don't have +STR gear and you might be using stuff like bronze armor. A full set of medium bronze armor weighs about 86. The good news is that it's very unusual to use the full set, and you'll probably just have a few pieces here and there weighing you down.
Last edited by Khorza; 10-28-2019 at 01:14 PM..
Closed Thread