Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Magician Dark Elf? Should I have gone gnome?

Hello everyone! I'm kinda of new to p99 and Everquest but I have a general question.

After reviewing the classes and trying out a few, I've been having some fun with my Magician. He is currently a Dark Elf. I tried the Necromancer but I prefer the nuke spells the Magician has. I just like ramping up that damage and then watching the explosions. Plus their pets look really cool. On a side note, I wish Magicians would get pets at level 1 or 2. I don't understand why it was set to level 4. But that's another matter entirely.

Anyway, I'm having some doubts about the current race I picked for him though. I've never really played an evil race in Everquest and from what I've been reading it can be extremely frustrating. I didn't really like the High Elves or Humans. So my only choices were Gnome, Dark Elf and Erudite. So I went with Dark Elf. Figuring that they look really awesome and would be kinda cool as a Magician. I even liked their starter city.

I've been playing for awhile now. I've noticed there really isn't that many Dark Elf Magicians and majority of them seem to pick the good or neutral races. In fact, I see mostly Dark Elf Enchanters and Necromancers for the most part. I even asked a player in game and he said I should have gone agnostic gnome. He said it would have made things a lot easier for me and honestly there is nothing to gain as a Dark Elf Magician. He said I'm wasting my time and unless I wanted some armor or something associated with Dark Elf that I should reroll. Since gnomes apparently get tinkering or what not and the stats are relatively close. Also I would have issues with factions. I didn't think it would be that bad picking Dark Elf as an evil race. Is this a poor class combination or something? I'm confused. I now feel like the oddball picking Dark Elf for a Magician.

So here are a few of my question. Did I just shoot myself in the foot by picking Dark Elf Magician? Are they really that bad at being a Magician? Is that why there aren't many of them around? Is being an evil race going to be such a pain that I should just remake him a gnome? Is it true that I gain nothing really by being a Dark Elf Magician over a gnome?

It kinda sucks if that was the case. The only other options I had was Gnome and Erudite and I'm not liking the idea of being a short race. If anything Erudite and I'm not a huge fan of their hooded look.

Any pros and cons and or advice would be great.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Sarnak

DE- hide, best racial night vision vs graphic bug that allows gnomes to crouch and see past walls around corners and in rooms.

Just an FYI- good races vs evil races the quality of life stuff as a good race shouldn't be underestimated. Its 9 cities vs 3 and all the xp and stuff quests that go with them
Old 12-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Kobold

I had a similar situation. Though I was also thinking of doing a High Elf Magician. In the end I just stuck with my DE Magician for looks. The evil race thing can be an issue but its easily worked around. Though to be fair I was heavily thinking of switching to Gnome. It's still a possibility since he is so low in level. lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you want to have more city flexibility and such then I would suggest going gnome though.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Fire Giant

Dark elf magician's are great! While hide isn't that useful for us, ultravision is. Neriak is a great city and with small faction work you'd be welcome in many places. It is also the most convenient spell library in game IMO. Ak'Anon and Erudin are so out of the way.

To me, the biggest perk so far (41 so far as dark elf magician), is that I don't need to care about faction. You can kill almost anything you want.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 12-15-2019, 10:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To me, the biggest perk so far (41 so far as dark elf magician), is that I don't need to care about faction. You can kill almost anything you want.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Being a Dark Elf you can pretty much kill anything you want and just laugh very evil like.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Being a Dark Elf you can pretty much kill anything you want and just laugh very evil like.
You can do that with any race though.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DE- hide, best racial night vision vs graphic bug that allows gnomes to crouch and see past walls around corners and in rooms.

Just an FYI- good races vs evil races the quality of life stuff as a good race shouldn't be underestimated. Its 9 cities vs 3 and all the xp and stuff quests that go with them
That's what quite a few people have told me. That I should ditch my character and pick gnome or another race. This should smooth out my leveling experience or so I'm told. So far I only ran into issues in Freeport, but if I was a gnome I guess I wouldn't have issues there. This whole situation kinda sucks big time. I like the Dark Elf but not all the baggage with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had a similar situation. Though I was also thinking of doing a High Elf Magician. In the end I just stuck with my DE Magician for looks. The evil race thing can be an issue but its easily worked around. Though to be fair I was heavily thinking of switching to Gnome. It's still a possibility since he is so low in level. lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you want to have more city flexibility and such then I would suggest going gnome though.
How easy is it to get around? Do you have issues getting to banks and merchants? Hmm you suggest going to gnome to make things easier or flexible as well. I'm assuming that's why you are thinking to switch to gnome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dark elf magician's are great! While hide isn't that useful for us, ultravision is. Neriak is a great city and with small faction work you'd be welcome in many places. It is also the most convenient spell library in game IMO. Ak'Anon and Erudin are so out of the way.

Holy! Level 41 Dark Elf Magician! This is awesome news as you have some experience. When you said small faction work I'm assuming you mean reputation grinds? What kinda of cities can I expect to have access with with some work? I really do like Neriak and the city is quite big.

It's good to know that I can kill whatever I want. Somehow I think this will make npcs hate me even more in certain locations.

Ugh what a terrible spot to be in right now. To stick it out with Dark Elf or switch to gnome.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How easy is it to get around? Do you have issues getting to banks and merchants? Hmm you suggest going to gnome to make things easier or flexible as well. I'm assuming that's why you are thinking to switch to gnome.
It really isn't that terrible getting around as one of the evil races. Just takes you a bit more effort but nothing absolutely awful. The only place that you may have problems with is on Faydwer. On that continent you won't have access to a bank without some faction grinding and even then some race/diety combinations are very hated. There are I believe two vendors on the continent you can sell too. One at or near the druid circle and a vendor at the center of dagnor's cauldron.

Other then that you have access to Neriak, Grobb and Oggok. Freeport can be done with a little faction work and a few tricks. The rest of the cities will pretty much hate you unless you do some faction work with them. In terms of the good cities, unless you have a specific reason for visiting them, you don't really need to go to them. Technically yes you have more access to quests in the good cities, but the evil towns have their own quests as well. I'm not entirely sure if there are more good quests than bad. Someone else would have to answer that.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:18 AM
Planar Protector

Rerolling should just be done for personal reasons (liking your looks is 90% of the game). From a racial advantage perspective magicians suffer less than almost every other class.

If you like the dark elf I’d learn the city. You are in the middle of the best stuff, three great dungeons in Lavastorm. Highkeep is pretty close as is the tunnel for buying/selling.

I’ve started a number of gnomes and erudites. The first thing I do is get a port and never come back [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

Ps: you can bank in Freeport around the wall (F9). Also the Highkeep banker won’t attack you at lvl 33 or so. Kill enough goblins and while the cleric/Druid/rogue guilds in Rivervale will kill you banking and vendoring is possible. Buying food can be done in the EC tunnel but your a mage. Summoning is kind of your thing.
Last edited by Snaggles; 12-17-2019 at 02:23 AM..
Old 12-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Kobold

Oh if you are going to create a new magician. You can get to level 4 pretty quick following this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At level 1, kill even cons
At level 2, kill fire beetles and decaying skeletons only
At level 3, focus on fire beetles or other level 2's
At level 4, focus on any potential level 3-4 mobs like large bats, and fill it in with fire beetles.

Don't stick to only level 1's at level 2-4 thats where people don't think of the experience formula per level they are too focused on the con color
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s....php?p=3047402

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneosak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This can't be stressed enough -- you absolutely need to kill "HIGH LEVEL BLUE CONS" or even White cons as long as you possibly can. Think about this. A level 1 mob gives 75 XP without any ZEM Bonus. Level 1 takes 1000 XP to complete. that is 10 mobs. If you kill the same level 1 mobs when you are level 2 (7000 XP to complete) it's gonna take you 93 kills. Where as Killing level 2 whites will take you 23 mobs. It's all numbers.

Bottom line -- kill high level blues. That means mobs that are white cons to you when they are too hard at like level 4, make sure you target these mobs at level 5, high blues will be substantially better than even a mob that is 1 level lower. If you're a caster class, sometimes you can even get away with white/yellow cons depending on class and pets and stuff.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...9&postcount=28