Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Kobold

I finally got mine to stop stuttering by doing the RAMDisk fix that someone mentioned in another post.

Short version: create an EQLite version of EQ, download and configure a RAMDisk program to turn 1700 megs of RAM into a "hard drive", copy the EQLite to that drive and run the program from there.

My issue was simply a hard drive access time issue. Dunno if a solid state drive would be quick enough to solve it as well since I don't have one, but RAM works.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

I have eqlite and run with ramdisk and the little hitch that I hit when I pan across north in the game still exists. It's like the graphics don't match up from 359 degrees to 1 degree.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey VII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Solid state worked like a charm for my stuttering issues.
I had this stuttering issue with my 5400 rmp hard drive all the time. I upgraded to SSD and, while it didn't improve loading times much, the stuttering issue completely disappeared. Sounds like the RamDisk configuration will work as well.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Aviak

I thought I was the only one with this problem...

-ONLY happens in SolB -- I've never experienced this in any other zone so far in my journeys!
-ONLY happens when I'm holding down my right mouse button which I do a lot on my rogue.
-ONLY happens when I'm on my rogue. I've gone to SolB on a paladin, shaman and cleric and never had this happen to any of them. SO WEIRD.

I have a SSD
I have reformatted my PC
I have reinstalled Titanium
I always use WinEQ2 to run P99

Still happens, only in SolB and only on my rogue It's the strangest bug!

To be a little bit more specific, when I'm on my rogue in SolB and holding down my right mouse button whether it be in combat, chasing a mob, just moving through the zone... about every 10 seconds my character will just instantly turn directly LEFT! It's so annoying I refuse to go back there on my rogue ever just to avoid the bug.

Sent a PM to a Tech guru to pick his brain a bit and we couldn't figure it out so I thought I was the only one with this problem. I also asked a few other high level rogues if they'd ever seen / experienced this bug in SolB before and they had NO CLUE what I was talking about so I just kinda left it alone... I'll keep checking this forum but I'm glad to see at least that I'm not the only one with this issue! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EDIT: having this issue in SolA too now apparently. But not on my cleric, only on my rogue. Just tested it... Willing to show on stream if anyone wants to try and figure this shit out!
Last edited by carli; 09-22-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Kobold

The mouselook hitch happens to me also. I am old school still though running XP with 4Gigs o RAM on a hamster driven hard drive. The plan is to upgrade to Win7, 8GB (my motherboard max) and SSD eventually.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Planar Protector

Limiting the framerate to 60 or below seems to cut down on it quite a bit for me, but doesn't eliminate it entirely.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Sarnak

One of the Dev's in a previous post suggested lowering your Max FPS to around 50-60. By default it might be set to max.

I found I was getting a stuttering/freezing bug in Kaladim and setting my max FPS to 59 to match my monitor refresh it sorted the problem for me.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Fixes to try before bashing your keyboard in frustration everytime you turn the mouse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] :

Reinstall EQ. Full, clean install, using nothing but the Titanium discs/iso. NO ADDONS. No duxa ui, no duxa installer. Do it right, add things later.

WinEQ2, fixes most peoples problems

You should NOT need an SSD, that shouldn't affect framerate lag in any situation for any reason, unless your hard drive is from 1999, is extremely slow for some other reason, or you're having some other issue with the drive. EQ doesn't pull files from the HD after you zone in, so drive lag in loading doesn't make any sense. That being said, loading EQ from RAM may still help if you have an issue with your drive (like i said above), so its worth a shot.

Limit MAX Fps to 35. Yes, this will look a little stuttery on its own, but it should be much smoother than what you all are describing.

In vista/7/8 Disable Aero, or in 8, any fancy graphics options. In general this is something I do regardless just because I like the minimalist interface, but it should help performance in EQ. Old programs can sometimes have graphics issues with aero runnning during play.

If you're still having issues after doing all that, can try reposting in this thread and I'll see what else can be done. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread. PM'ing me is also an option.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrocks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should NOT need an SSD, that shouldn't affect framerate lag in any situation for any reason, unless your hard drive is from 1999, is extremely slow for some other reason, or you're having some other issue with the drive.
I'm sorry, but this is wrong. On non-SSD drives, when a new character zones into your zones, EQ reads from the disk and creates a microstutter. This happens on drives frrom 1999, or drives from 2013, 7200rpm et al. It's just how EQ is coded, and it has been like that since (at least) Kunark on Live. You can get a brand new WD 7200rpm drive, install EQ on it and still get the issue. I know because I've installed EQ on three separate (new) hard drives, all non-SSD.

RAMDisk is the key if upgrading to an SSD isn't an option. Following the "EQ Lite" guide to reduce the installation size by several gigs (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7186) will help tons for those with only 4gb RAM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartwork [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sorry, but this is wrong. On non-SSD drives, when a new character zones into your zones, EQ reads from the disk and creates a microstutter. This happens on drives frrom 1999, or drives from 2013, 7200rpm et al. It's just how EQ is coded, and it has been like that since (at least) Kunark on Live. You can get a brand new WD 7200rpm drive, install EQ on it and still get the issue. I know because I've installed EQ on three separate (new) hard drives, all non-SSD.

RAMDisk is the key if upgrading to an SSD isn't an option. Following the "EQ Lite" guide to reduce the installation size by several gigs (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7186) will help tons for those with only 4gb RAM.
Stop trying to justify your SSD purchase.

By this logic my game should be "microstuttering" constantly while im in KC or EC or any other popular zone. Which is definitely not happening.