Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A couple weeks? That better be sarcasm. One should not have to do hours of research to play a video game.

Jimjam: So basically once I have Swiftwind, I can pass on my Haste item to an alt or sell it?
No, you shouldn't have to spend hours of research to play Pac Man, but there are certainly a lot of mechanics, spell usage, equipment decisions, and quests that require a decent amount of research in order to effectively play a class in a MMORPG. Wait until you hear about Quiver Haste, which I don't believe is even covered on that Haste wiki page. Get a Fleeting Quiver if you don't already own one.

But yeah, once you get Swiftwind, for all intents and purposes, you shouldn't need to wear the other lesser haste item unless just for actual stats, or you forsee yourself obtaining an offhand that outdamages Swiftwind with its haste factored in if you were to have another worn haste item in effect (not sure Tantor Tusk or Shovel of the Harvest get anywhere close with 37% dragon haste plus DCoS at level 60... doubt it with the miss frequency on 2-handers)

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 06-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Alright so OP is clearly trollin now.

Please move this thread to RNF titled help I’ve been here since 2014 and still don’t know how to play this game
Now I know you're the one trolling. Everquest is very much a jump in and play kind of game. You're just trying to get people to waste their time.

Yendor: Well, I still plan to buy a Sash of the Dragonborn, once I get Swiftwind I'll pass it on to an alt, either a Bard or a Paladin.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everquest is very much a jump in and play kind of game.
For the basics, yes.

To master your class and the game mechanics, however, hundreds of class and leveling guides, hundreds of raid encounter guides, thousands of quest walkthroughs, dozens of class-specific forums, several Prima strategy guides, and tons of archived discussion threads over the last 20 years disagree with you.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:49 PM
Planar Protector

Video games in general have a very performance curve available. Usually it’s reflexes/timing/instincts based. Donkey Kong being one example. The phrase “Nintendo Hard” is a real thing.

EQ in some ways is difficult but it’s mostly a DEEP game. I’m often drunk or halfway there and it rarely changes anything. Sure, you can play it with good reflexes and a very basic understanding of mechanics but you won’t be “good”. The gods of a game like this have pathing and strategy down on a dark magic level (I’m far from that).

How haste works is pretty rudimentary. Usually dropping wiki links or recommending to search is just the community being lazy. You certainly could spend more time reading. Nobody expects you to be able to name the frog titles in guk by level but having a decent knowledge of your own class is expected.

Don’t take as flaming, bullying, or whatever. If you care to learn the game it will reward you exponentially. Most of us are digging around on the wiki or ZAM dozens of times a week. If you don’t want to “waste your time” thats fine too. I recommend keeping plat on you and grinding in places with high chances of a resurrection.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Video games in general have a very performance curve available. Usually it’s reflexes/timing/instincts based. Donkey Kong being one example. The phrase “Nintendo Hard” is a real thing.

EQ in some ways is difficult but it’s mostly a DEEP game. I’m often drunk or halfway there and it rarely changes anything. Sure, you can play it with good reflexes and a very basic understanding of mechanics but you won’t be “good”. The gods of a game like this have pathing and strategy down on a dark magic level (I’m far from that).

How haste works is pretty rudimentary. Usually dropping wiki links or recommending to search is just the community being lazy. You certainly could spend more time reading. Nobody expects you to be able to name the frog titles in guk by level but having a decent knowledge of your own class is expected.

Don’t take as flaming, bullying, or whatever. If you care to learn the game it will reward you exponentially. Most of us are digging around on the wiki or ZAM dozens of times a week. If you don’t want to “waste your time” thats fine too. I recommend keeping plat on you and grinding in places with high chances of a resurrection.
Fair enough, if I have future concerns I'll read up on the wiki and see if it answers them first, and if not then I will ask about it here.

I'm closing in on 43, once I leave to get new spells at 49 I will sink the cash I've saved into a Rain Caller and a Fleeting Quiver. If I have enough left over I'll get a Tolan's Bracer too.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Gleed's Bow quest worth looking at. Bow of the huntsman. Kill a wurm (doesn't summon so you can slowly kite it down) and use invis/sneak to avoid faction work for hand in. The biggest drawback (archery pun, gaffaw) it's low delay meaning it devours arrows from the quiver.

Tolan's bracer is good, but there are a surprising number of vendors selling arrows in the mean time.
Last edited by Jimjam; 06-20-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Old 06-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Fair enough, if I have future concerns I'll read up on the wiki and see if it answers them first, and if not then I will ask about it here.

I'm closing in on 43, once I leave to get new spells at 49 I will sink the cash I've saved into a Rain Caller and a Fleeting Quiver. If I have enough left over I'll get a Tolan's Bracer too.
Shoot me a PM here when you're ready for Rain Caller.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shoot me a PM here when you're ready for Rain Caller.
I actually just looked at Rain Caller on the wiki, and was very disheartened when I saw that its Firestrike proc had limited charges, and wasn't an actual proc.

I think because of that, I'd rather take a cheaper option like Runed Oak Bow, and just use that as a placeholder until I can get a raid bow or do the Gleed's Bow quest as Jimjam recommended.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

The 30/37 , 30/38 , 30/39 bows are just a couple k if i recall.. IF you're looking for something thatll deal "decent" dmg when kiting, or just to help u get out of a bind

Theyre the velious bows.

Double recurve,
Recurve
Wrapped?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

The Raincaller is serviceable though. 200 range is sexy and starts in a slow many bows just leave you high and dry.

The Huntsman wasnt really easy. In hindsight I would have picked up a velium bow (any of them) for soloing and kept using my spectral for pulling.
Closed Thread