Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-27-2021, 01:33 PM
Large Rat

Unhappy Green windowed borderless 4k mouse offset issues

The problem: I use a 4K monitor, but to prevent my eyes from exploding, I want to play the game at a lower resolution. I also want to be able to alt-tab and interact with the rest of my desktop without windows crapping itself.
The only known solution: a borderless fullscreen program to stretch the client across my full display area.

I've tried all of them (yes, even the thing you're about to suggest) and they all have the same problem: the visible position of the mouse cursor is way out of alignment with what the client recognizes; i.e. I click at the center of my screen and it registers the click at the bottom right.

Because green forbids custom UIs, I can't simply install one of the excellent community-made 4K UIs, which would let me borderless fullscreen without scaling/stretching, which works fine.

What do? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

There has to be a software solution because I play on a 4k monitor and its blown up to be full screen automatically and looks like im playing on a like 1900 monitor and I have no idea what is going on.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:51 AM
Aviak

I just posted a forum post titled, This is how I fullscreen. IF you have a Nvidia card I have the steps on how to setup scaling to do exactly what you want to do. You force a resolution to scale into native resolution. Try it it will help you.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:48 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riiyan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just posted a forum post titled, This is how I fullscreen. IF you have a Nvidia card I have the steps on how to setup scaling to do exactly what you want to do. You force a resolution to scale into native resolution. Try it it will help you.
Doesn't that stretch the entire desktop display area, so the moment I alt tab I'm greeted by a workspace that is totally distorted? Or am I mistaken?

The dream here is to be able to play Project 1999 like basically any other game on modern hardware, with readable text, a UI that doesn't require squinting and leaning forward, and the ability to alt tab without being greeted by horribly distorted settings or five seconds of black screen while my monitor recovers from being tortured by display settings from the literal previous millennia
Old 03-28-2021, 11:48 AM
Orc

I think this has been the constant nagging issue since round about 1999-2000 when larger monitors started to come out and games did not use any DPI aware GUI.

Like taking a minivan to the race track. The guy who designed the minivan didn't expect any one to do that and they might not have the best time t here.

Newer games are much more DPI aware and can scale accordingly. These older games ... not so much. My solution isn't a solution but more like adapting to the game. I have no problem playing in lower resolutions with black bars on my large screen TV. If I still had an old CRT I would probably use that for specific older games.

Sorry for the non-answer but I just feel like what your struggling with is what most of us older gamers have been struggling with for the better part of 2 decades. The game world can scale up and down with resolution just fine. But all the UI elements are fixed pixels so you need to be in the native resolution to read it and if you try to scale it up then it's going to be all fuzzy and unreadable.

I have not read Riiyans post yet using nvidia card , I'm just going to assume it wont work on linux anyways but I'll give it a shot too!. But in all honesty I happily play old games in old resolutions.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:21 PM
Aviak

Ridley, it'll offset the scaling to be controlled by your graphics card rather then windows so it will fill out the full screen yes and switching will require a momentairy black screen then your regular desktop and the same when you alt enter to refullscreen, some of the resolution combos and variations look better then others but for safe measure if you pick a lower resolution in the 1080 widescreen multiples like 960 or 720 it looks better and more symmetrical. It doesn't fix the black screen switching problem is just the easiest way to do fullscreen without much crashes and click through problems while keeping the same ingame resolution for a bigger monitor or TV.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:31 PM
Aviak

All you are doing with the Nvidia and AMD scaling features is telling windows it's hard defined native resolution then setting a predetermine resolution and when the GPU sees that resolution it immediately takes over and does it's scaling instead of windows or the game. Then you go and turn off windows ability to scale the application entirely while running in SP3 capability mode in the shortcut settings and it eliminates the crashes entirely when switching back and forth assuming you are using correct affinity settings on your CPU. I haven't found much hiccups with setting it up that way and I been playing p99 for quite some time.