Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Aviak

Does it only happen in EQ? What if you have notepad open or your browser? Check for stuck keys like SHIFT, TAB, CTRL, Space... some of these are part of macros which would cause the cursor to jump around in conjunction with other key presses.
Last edited by Celestias; 05-11-2016 at 10:37 PM..
Old 05-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Kobold

Try disabling your laptop keyboard/mouse and using an external. This will rule out bad hardware. Overheating would not cause those specific issues.

It's also not an EQ bug, afaik.

You may also have to do a bit of detective work. When it happens, is anything eating up CPU time in the task manager? Does the HD activity light go nuts?

You could possibly also try running EQ with admin access, since I believe that makes it so that other programs cannot interfere with the input unless they also are elevated to admin.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does it only happen in EQ? What if you have notepad open or your browser? Check for stuck keys like SHIFT, TAB, CTRL, Space... some of these are part of macros which would cause the cursor to jump around in conjunction with other key presses.
Only noticed this problem while playing p99. If it happened anywhere else I'd probably throw this computer out the window. The speed at which I type seems to not matter either, I will slow my typing down to a crawl and it just randomly moves the cursor or pushes other buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try disabling your laptop keyboard/mouse and using an external. This will rule out bad hardware. Overheating would not cause those specific issues.

It's also not an EQ bug, afaik.

You may also have to do a bit of detective work. When it happens, is anything eating up CPU time in the task manager? Does the HD activity light go nuts?
I use a wireless mouse, never the trackpad. I have not tested the "external keypad" hypothesis.

I have not noticed any other issues on my computer while this is happening, but I am planning on playing tonight and as soon as it starts happening I will minimize and look at the task manager and report back here.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Last edited by Expediency; 05-12-2016 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: .
Old 03-25-2022, 10:08 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is getting worse. Sometimes its happening every 15 minutes or less. I am convinced that it is not a "computer too hot" issue because it happens even when I first start, before the machine gets hot.

The blinking cursor just goes whereever it wants. it moves right in the middle of text ive already typed, or pushes ability buttons, or brings up recent messages I've sent (as if I had pushed shift+up)

Its horrible and its driving me crazy. Any other ideas on what I can do?

I have not tested an alternate keyboard hypothesis.
howdy - im speaking to you from the far distant year of 2022. with Uncle Joe is president and Ukraine is kicking Russia's ass.
im having the same problem. keyboard just freaks out and random characters are inserted into the chat when the chat window is activated. also my poor monk just spins in a circle as if A or D is being held down.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:32 AM
Orc

Is this only happening on one character? I.E does a different character "fix" the issue ?

Also, are you running windowed or full screen ? You said minimizing can sometiems "fix" the issue. Does running full screen (Alt+Enter) help at all ?
Old 03-26-2022, 10:15 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-EAVKR [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this only happening on one character? I.E does a different character "fix" the issue ?

Also, are you running windowed or full screen ? You said minimizing can sometimes "fix" the issue. Does running full screen (Alt+Enter) help at all ?
i know you were not replying to my message directly but i have been switching (occasionally) from full to windowed and back as i go to search various different things.
but the issue with the freakout doesnt happen directly after the full screen status change. you think it could be related?
Old 03-26-2022, 10:38 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr1337 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i know you were not replying to my message directly but i have been switching (occasionally) from full to windowed and back as i go to search various different things.
but the issue with the freakout doesnt happen directly after the full screen status change. you think it could be related?
Yes I think so. I'm leaning more towards the game being in a window (of any size) versus true full screen is likely the cause more than anything else. But I imagine many people likely play windowed, and there doesn't seem to be many posts here or in EQemulator forums bringing up this problem ... so I don't know =/

Sometimes UI glitches can be traced back to corrupted character .ini files as well. Which is why I brought up the character itself.

I'm glad fullscreen seems to help you at least. As to why I just don't know technomagically why that would "fix" it.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:45 AM
Aviak

Hey CMDR, I am having the exact same issue, only on my newer PC.

It seems as if the keyboard is wigging out and inputting a whole bunch of random letters, symbols, and numbers.

It seems I am able to type, but for most keys a random letter/number/symbol is generated.

One notable exception is "ENTER" always seems to open and closing the typing box as normal.

If I tab out my keyboard types normally in anything else. Like here, renaming icons, searching windows. Works everywhere else.

Seems to occur within 5 minutes of logging on and always passes within about 5 minutes.

At this moment I am wondering if it was some scheduled scan or update running in the background. and Trying to sort it out.

CMDR if you're still around and figured anything out, I would greatly appreciate what you did.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Iirc eq takes input direct from the input, not from what windows thinks the input is saying ... maybe windows can just do better at filtering out ghost touches?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung