Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Do you think there should be Name Policy changes?
Bushnineoneonetowers 20 42.55%
Eggmuffin 10 21.28%
Tablechair 7 14.89%
<Riot> 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb It's time to consider revising the Naming Policy

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

With all due respect to the devs, guides, and GM's who have been managing the servers, and considering the intention of the policy involved, this was developed 13 years ago. Are names like Tablechair or Darksister really a relevant issue when it comes to naming a character? It is important to keep in mind that some people have gamertag monikers that they just default to when playing any game, and often turn into a compound name.

Obviously many of these policies make sense: obscene names, copyright infringement, CSR abuse totally make sense. But, hear me out, lets let Eggmuffin enjoy their game. They may not be the most creative player, but Eggmuffin enjoys roleplaying as a woodelf baker and joking around in groups about how she was raised by gullydwarves.

Let Nebuchadnezzar be a Nebuchad.
Let Brotherbarley be his brother's barley.
Let clericbotzerozeroone beep boop for all we care.
Let <Riot> infringe upon the copyright of largest gaming company in the world. *cough*

It's really not ruining anyone's 'immersion' at this point, they are quirky and silly and really not deserving of tying up CSR's time changing names and bloating petitions when many of these names have simply been around for years and years now without bothering anyone.

I say lets live and let live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:21 PM
Kobold

I know what you're going through. I too once fell under the spell of opium. It was 1979. I was travelling the Yangtze in search of a Mongolian horsehair vest. I had got to the market after sundown. All of the clothing traders had gone, but a different sort of trader still lurked about. ‘Just a taste,’ he said. That was all it took.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:59 PM
Sarnak

who cares, put your snaggleteeth away, stfu, get help
Old 08-05-2022, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Sorry your names got petitioned.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:05 PM
Fire Giant

There are companies, literary works, songs, and musical acts with the word Riot in their name that pre-date Riot Games, op.

Riot is a dumb name for a guild, but I think all of those entities have concluded along the way what you are too stupid to realize. There has to be more than a shared common word to make it copyright infringement.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:30 PM
Fire Giant

i got almost baned for having my shaman named ,Hielo Negro. wich on english translate as black ice .
That was derubael
Old 08-05-2022, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

I disagree. People with those names are ruining my elfquesting immersion! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 08-05-2022, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobart [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are companies, literary works, songs, and musical acts with the word Riot in their name that pre-date Riot Games, op.

Riot is a dumb name for a guild, but I think all of those entities have concluded along the way what you are too stupid to realize. There has to be more than a shared common word to make it copyright infringement.
Pussy Riot was sent to a Russian gulag to be fair.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

To me it's a simple question: are we trying to recreate EQ circa '99-'01 here, or are we not.

Because whatever the name policy says, it's clear from the names in-game that we are not.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:26 PM
Banned

i bet you feel pretty silly right now